Skip to content

Steam Release

Is there any ETA on the Steam release? I see they've updated the achievements for SoD, but the game itself isn't available as DLC on the main BGEE store page.

Comments

• tyhansontyhanson Member Posts: 8
    It would appear Beamdog doesn't want our money.
  • Drizzt1180Drizzt1180 Member Posts: 41
    I suspect they're just running into problems dealing with Valve. This wouldn't be the first gaming company to have issues with them.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    Don't panic, people.

I don't know exactly how the Steam store works, but given the size, I would guess that new products are introduced maybe once or twice a day at specific times through some sort of automated process, which means there was no way to coordinate the release to be simultaneous with Beamdog.
  • nomadmercnomadmerc Member Posts: 48
    They had months to 'coordinate' the release.
    I'm not panicking, I'm just curious if anyone from Beamdog has an update they are allowed to share with us.
  • spacehamzterspacehamzter Member Posts: 77
    I want my SoDS now!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    If I have to paraphase @Dee on twich: "We did push all buttons on our parts. Now we wait steam to do their part".
    O_Bruce said:

If I have to paraphase @Dee on twich: "We did push all buttons on our parts. Now we wait steam to do their part".

Seems likely. Valve just operates this way. I just wonder if a loose time frame is available. Will we be waiting for just a few hours, or a day, a week, etc.?
    If it goes live on Steam today, there's a good chance that whoever buys it over there will be playing before most people who bought it from Beamdog. Their servers are currently choked with all the downloads. I've been downloading it for the past two hours and it's still at 10% (on a 10MB connection).
  • Camus34Camus34 Member Posts: 210

O_Bruce said:

Seems likely. Valve just operates this way. I just wonder if a loose time frame is available. Will we be waiting for just a few hours, or a day, a week, etc.?
    Well, it's almost 5:30pm where I am, still no sign on steam. I've got a feeling that I will be downloading tonight and playing tomorrow. lol
    Kilivitz said:

If it goes live on Steam today, there's a good chance that whoever buys it over there will be playing before most people who bought it from Beamdog. Their servers are currently choked with all the downloads. I've been downloading it for the past two hours and it's still at 10% (on a 10MB connection).

Yeah, I'm in Skype with my regular group and they're dealing with the Beamdog client noise as we speak. It's pretty unrealistic to expect them to have the same infrastructural capabilities Valve does, but that doesn't make the pain any easier to take. lol
  • HolkeyeHolkeye Member Posts: 1
    This is kind of a clusterfudge. I understand that things are a bit buggy and glitchy on release day, but Steam makes things so simple. I don't understand why getting the game on Steam isn't most developers' #1 priority. I even went to the Beamdog site to just get it there, but nope: It wants me to buy BG:EE again, and won't let me just purchase the expansion. I'll just wait for Steam, and to any developers watching this thread, that's probably something to keep in mind for next release...
  • isgorath1isgorath1 Member Posts: 24
    Maybe i should go to sleep and play tommorow. I do not have time to wait. Is there any chance to get SoD on steam today ? Damn. Im pissed off.
    Holkeye said:

This is kind of a clusterfudge. I understand that things are a bit buggy and glitchy on release day, but Steam makes things so simple. I don't understand why getting the game on Steam isn't most developers' #1 priority. I even went to the Beamdog site to just get it there, but nope: It wants me to buy BG:EE again, and won't let me just purchase the expansion. I'll just wait for Steam, and to any developers watching this thread, that's probably something to keep in mind for next release...

I understand, and I'm probably just as frustrated, but we should keep an open mind and consider that Beamdog may have been on top of this from day 1, and it's Valve who is slacking on their end. They do this regularly and people just put up with it because there's no better platform for buying and managing PC games at the moment.
  • dluxdlux Member Posts: 13
    edited March 2016
    Darn it, Gaben. It is 22:25 here in Germany and I wanted to play a few hours before I got to bed...

OH WELL.
  • sirchetsirchet Member Posts: 14
    Pre-loading would have saved a great deal of the strain you're now experiencing on the servers.

As good as you guys are, I'm really surprised you didn't have pre-loading set up.

I have a 300mbs connection and my download is being measured in kbs .... kbs!
    A helpful tip I saw in another thread is to make sure you have P2P enabled in the Options menu of the Beamdog client.
    I agree that preloading would have been a major benefit. I think the limitation is the fact that the goal with their EE games is to keep them as moddable as possible, so the game files are released in a sort of roundabout raw form. Preloading would have opened people to mining game files for spoilers, hacks, exploiting any bugs, etc. I can see why they didn't do it, and that's the price we pay for good open content.
  • SophronisbaSophronisba Member Posts: 3
    It is available now!
  • bradbrad Member Posts: 32
    It's out!
    It's a no-win scenario for Beamdog, really.

If you bought the original game on Steam, they have no way of knowing it because it's a completely separate platform. So these people try to buy the expansion directly from them and then complain because they won't sell you without the original game (which you already have and thus shouldn't have to buy again).

But if they allowed you to purchase the expansion on their website without checking for a BG:EE license, then there's always going to be folks who are going to buy it without reading the "requires the original game" fine print. And then these folks are going to complain that they were duped by Beamdog (even though they weren't).

The only sensible approach is to advise people to stick to one platform. It's not like you would be able to play the game on Steam before it's available on their store, anyway. And once it is, might as well buy it from them.
  • tsunderetsundere Member Posts: 11
    where is my key then? I ordered the CE
    edited March 2016
    By the way: just saw it on Steam and I've found out that it costs HALF of what I paid for pre-ordering from Beamdog (because of the conversion from USD to BRL).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A
  • spacehamzterspacehamzter Member Posts: 77
    downloading now!!!!
  • shaldonshaldon Member Posts: 37
    purchased! downloading!
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    Yay! It just showed up here too. Downloading now.
  • NomphosumusNomphosumus Member Posts: 14
    *Evil laughts* MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA sort of... 90 secs and it is already totally downloaded and installed YEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS ¡¡¡¡¡
  • Darigaaz87Darigaaz87 Member Posts: 135
    tsundere said:

where is my key then? I ordered the CE

Waiting for my Steam Key too, already sent a ticket to the Support.
    Happy gaming, brothers and sisters! Mine downloaded in under a minute and man, I'm blown away. No spoilers, but watch the intro movie. They brought back the same narrator from original BG and it's glorious.
    For any modders out there, my Override and Portraits folders didn't get altered in any way. Still make a backup, but you should be safe if you didn't remember to.