Skip to content

omg, the UI needs a lot of polishing yet to do justice :/

BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
looking at the final patches now of BG1 and BG2, i must say we (the forum attendants that had no access to the beta but being interested in what was shown by those who had) may have concentrated far too much on inventory and character screen in discussion, neglecting the rest of the mess, like the chaotic options screen (with overlapping elements, out of place elements, options in scroll boxes some user may never find), the completely different style of the new journal that looks like from a different game (neither BG1 nor BG2), the well intended but unfocused spellbooks, the new message log behaviour that's just fiddly and unintuitive, and so on and so on ...

the functionality of all of this is very(!) welcome, i love almost everything (and can turn off or mod what i don't like), but the ui needs so much improvement in consistency and quality of execution that even a cleaned up 2.1 alone won't fix that, as this can only be what 2.0 should have been – a interface that does justice to the feature improvements that go along with this patch and that is a consistent basis for improvment in detail(!), not in general. (also, being able to mod the interface is great and welcome, but it should be to ajust things to ones one taste and preference, not fixing individually what's broken generally).

i'm positive that with some more time, 2.1 and further will fit far better than what had to be rushed out now to meed the SoD deadline ...

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    edited April 2016
    to those who have played SoD yet: is the UI there better polished, or is it the same mixed bag of quality like the 2.0 BG games?
  • ZeshinXZeshinX Member Posts: 88
    edited April 2016

to those who have played SoD yet: is the UI there better polished, or is it the same mixed bag of quality like the 2.0 BG games?

I find the UI far, far worse in SoD. It's lost all of the aesthetic quality that IS Baldur's Gate. It's a "modern" UI design slapped onto a 17-year old game. It's functional and usable (more or less), but it really has lost it's Baldur's Gate-ness. And it's black. So. Much. Black. I dunno where devs get their fetish for varying shades of black, but it must seriously be stopped. :wink:

I find it painful on the eyes (the white text on black background starts to pain the eyes after a few moments).

Frankly I think they forgot to ask themselves their internal question of "Is this Baldur's Gate?" when designing this UI, because from where I'm sitting, Baldur's Gate this UI most certainly ain't.

*Edit: I'm in no way judging the added content that is SoD....so far, that part's been great! :smile: