Skip to content

SoD UI in BG:EE

If I start a new BG:EE game, the UI looks like the one from SoD. Is this normal? Dragon logo, black theme and everything?

I would have expected the UI to look like the one from beta testing for 2.0 and switch to the black/dragon theme as soon as the player starts SoD.

P.S. I play the Beamdog version.

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Yes, that's normal. The SoD expansion comes with a new UI skin, which is applied to the entire game.
  • ArasHUNArasHUN Member Posts: 6
    I thought I wasn't able to find a setting or something. It'd be nice to be able to switch between the two, although I can see how that's double the work for every single aesthetic change down the line.
    ArasHUN said:

I thought I wasn't able to find a setting or something. It'd be nice to be able to switch between the two, although I can see how that's double the work for every single aesthetic change down the line.

I agree that would be a nice option, if for no other reason than it would open a lot of doors for UI modders.
  • tortuosittortuosit Member Posts: 63
    edited April 2016
    If you want to play EE with old art style, you can rename the expansion folder. I'm just wondering if that affects savegame compatibility, but I guess not, what do you think?
    As for colors and backgrounds, I wish BGI non SoD would look like this:
    http://www.littlemistake.com/main/wp-content/uploads/bbgsc.jpg
  • M0tanM0tan Member Posts: 61
    @Dee Thanks for the clarifications.

I have another question regarding the Beamdog client: Right now I can see BG2:EE and BG:SoD installed and BG:EE "Ready for Download". If I were to install that one would it actually uninstall BG:SoD and install plain BG:EE?

And if I want to back-up my 2 games (BG:EE and BG2:EE) I only need to copy/zip the 3 numbered folders from :\Program Files (x86)\BeamDog\Games\:

edited April 2016
    @tortuosit I actually like the black theme a lot. It looks polished and modern (especially the dragon scale theme for buttons) :)

Good job Beamdog.
    kanisatha
    edited April 2016
    It's a good job, but it's about personal preference and mood. It feels too dark and grim for me.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Assuming you haven't uninstalled/deleted it, you can just run BG:EE on its own. At least that was an option for me until I deleted the BG:EE install to save space. I use the non-client versions from Beamdog, but even if you've installed via the client you should be able to just go to the folder and boot the game with the .exe file.

So you could play BG:EE up until the final boss fight and then load your save in SoD and only have to endure the SoD UI for a few minutes if that's your preference.
    Yes, my options so far are: having an additional EE 1.3 branch installation which indeed will run or, in order to enjoy 2.0 features, move the dlc folder; then it will look like pre SoD.
  • FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    @M0tan, notice that Sige of Dragon Spear says "Preload Complete", it does not say that it is installed. If you install the bottom game it should apply the preloaded copy of SoD to it.
    edited April 2016
    @Franpa As you can see in the "Ready to play", SoD is already installed and playable, along with the original BG:EE.

The "Preload complete" refers to the deluxe part of the game, meaning the soundtracks (which are already downloaded... so it's strange the they are not set as Done).

If I try to install the bottom game I get a warning window saying:

P.S. If I were to install the bottom one, I think I will get a clean BG:EE updated to version 2.0. Just a guess... I may even test it :)
    That notice is just to let you know that the expansion is available. You can click "Install" and it will install BG:EE by itself.
    JuliusBorisov
    @Dee This mean I will end up with 3 games: BG:EE, BG2:EE and BG:SoD (with contains also BG:EE with the new UI)
    JuliusBorisov
    edited April 2016
    Yep, that's correct.

(If you think that's a lot of installations, you should see my dev machine. ;))
    JuliusBorisov
    @Dee No need. I'm a Software engineer, I know how it is with lots of software versions (aka different branches, bookmarks and different clones). I have the same thing on my dev machine... unfortunately not code for games :)