Skip to content

No game sound ??

JonnecyJonnecy Member Posts: 56
After finally having managed to fix all the issues and errors I was getting while downloading and installing the game, and finally managing to actually launch the game, I now have a game ... with no sound!

Edit: this seems to affect all of beamdogs games (i.e. Icewind Dale, BGII, BGEE sans SoD)...probably that new update. excellent.

What the hell is going on here. I cannot even begin to express how disappointed I am with this release.

First there is no pre-loading...(genious idea, no way the servers are going to be overburdened at release...), then the Beamdog client refuses to download the game; the separate installer took almost an entire day to download measly 3,7gigs at B/s download speeds (no, it's not my internet connection...).
After it had finally downloaded and installed I was getting crashes left, right and center trying to launch the game.
After I had fixed that, now there is no freaking game sound (yes, this is the only game/application that has this issue).

I wasn't expecting too much from the game to begin with, but this is a disaster.

Comments

• butzemannbutzemann Member Posts: 6
    Jonnecy said:

Edit: this seems to affect all of beamdogs games (i.e. Icewind Dale, BGII, BGEE sans SoD)...probably that new update. excellent.

IWD is not affected by the 2.0 patch, it still has version 1.4. Your sound problems might have an other reason.
  • JonnecyJonnecy Member Posts: 56
    edited April 2016
    butzemann said:

Jonnecy said:

IWD is not affected by the 2.0 patch, it still has version 1.4. Your sound problems might have an other reason.
    I doubt that. why then is it affecting all IE games, but none of my other games ? clearly this is related to their game engine or something. and even IWD is not running on 1.3 anymore. besides, IWD used to run just fine a couple of weeks ago.

also, that does not solve the problem.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Did you just notice that your IWD lost sound?
    The common thing in these games, they all use OpenAL for audio.
    edited April 2016

Did you just notice that your IWD lost sound?
    The common thing in these games, they all use OpenAL for audio.

I do not care about IWD. The point is that all BG games do not have any game sound (either), which is far more annoying.
    yes, I know they use OpenAL, which I already have tried installing half a dozen times. but all that achieves is that I can launch the game without crashes, but there is still no sound. this was not the case before (with the exception of SoD).
    Post edited by Jonnecy on
  • ArabaniArabani Member Posts: 25
    I have the same problem, IWD works fine.
    bump
    I've found that sound works fine in windowed mode. But then again you can't play in windowed, because your mouse goes outside the borders and you can't move and so on.
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    Are you using a USB headset? Mine doesn't work either, but when I switched to speakers or my headphone jack things worked fine. Seeing as windows handles USB out differently when it comes to sound, that might be where you're encountering the bug.

You shouldn't have to, but try using different playback devices and see if your problem persists.
    Arabani said:

I've found that sound works fine in windowed mode. But then again you can't play in windowed, because your mouse goes outside the borders and you can't move and so on.

made no difference for me.
    Purudaya said:

Are you using a USB headset? Mine doesn't work either, but when I switched to speakers or my headphone jack things worked fine. Seeing as windows handles USB out differently when it comes to sound, that might be where you're encountering the bug.

You shouldn't have to, but try using different playback devices and see if your problem persists.

not using a headset, usb or other. already tried switching between realtek onboard sound and hdmi sound via gpu. no dice.
  • butzemannbutzemann Member Posts: 6
    I had sound issues with BGEE 1.3 and IWDEE 1.4. What helped in my case was dropping the files from OpenAL Soft right into the game folder. By doing this you override the usage of the system sound library files. The files in the game folder have precedence over system files. I don't know if this is feasible with 2.0. I don't have it yet. But save all files that would by overridden, in order to be able to revert the changes.

http://openal-soft.org/
    Unfortunatelly it doesn't help. This was the first thing I tried.
    That didn't help me either. What helped was taking a OpenAL32.dll from a folder named "00766" and placing in the folder structures ( of the other games. no idead what this 00766 folder is normally used for, but that seems to have done it for me. for SoD that was "Data" and "0806".