Skip to content

New patch

2»

Comments

• MadrictMadrict Member Posts: 141
    I love this new patch. The UI, smoother sprites, outlines and overall gameplay fluidity seems much better. Good job :)
    illathidDaevelonkanisatha
  • znancekivellznancekivell Member Posts: 58
    I've managed to get my portraits working again, though it required me to go in and manually re-save each image as a 24bitmap and upload them again - even though they already were 24bit... Not sure what's causing the issue with the portraits otherwise. Alas yes, I now have to scroll through every portrait in order to find the ones I want. I will second any vote to bring back the old portrait system, this new one is needlessly tedious.

Anyhow, yes. The update. Wow. The more I play the more I love it. The graphics have been given a phenomenal update, better journal entries, several new bug fixes and an overall smoother UI. Aside from the portraits, the only thing I actively dislike from the update is the Colour Sliders. I wouldn't mind them if I had an option to scroll through the colours with my keyboard arrows, but as it stands trying to find the right colour while scrolling is difficult - I resort to using EEKeeper after building a character to go in manually and redesign the colour scheme as I intend it.

Thanks for the update Beamdog, keep up the fantastic work!
    jackjack
  • IthualIthual Member Posts: 136
    batoor said:

Oh boy...These UI changes are going to take some time getting used toT_T

I would be lying if I said my immediate reaction was positive, but I'm sure it will grow on me. I just need some time :(

Barbarian as a fighter kit now?...Well I suppose it was always like that, but now with both Berserker and Barbarian as kits. Well it does look a little strange^^

You do get used to the new UI, it was always the in game changes that got me.
  • IthualIthual Member Posts: 136
    Skarose said:

I seem to have misplaced the lighthouse/sirens/Safana portion of the map. It's just not there, this is making me a sad, I wanted to recruit Safana and kill some flesh golems!

... West of the screen directly south of Beregost worked for me.

Or north of the screen with Captain Brage.
  • drawnacroldrawnacrol Member Posts: 253
    edited April 2016
    I'm at the final chapter and just taking a detour to the expansion island and Durlag's Tower, will the patch break my game? I don't want to update and lose my game.
  • NildarNildar Member Posts: 33
    @znancekivell Have you tried renaming your custom portraits? The game now only uses the L (character creation and character screen) and M portraits (Right side of the screen and for the chat window). If you rename your xxxxxS portraits to xxxxxM portraits (and xxxxxM to xxxxxL if needed) it should work again. My custom portraits worked like a charm. I could scroll through them during character creation (immersion ftw) and the game matched the L portrait to the correct M portrait on its own.
    jackjackillathid
  • OlteronOlteron Member Posts: 67
    I changed all the S portraits to M. Kept the L portraits the same. Some work. Some don't. And so far I can see no difference or reason why. I even tried removing most of them and keeping a dozen of my favorite. only 5 work. The others don't. If I place doubles ( Example Wiz04_L.BMP and Wiz04_M.BMP it shows two of the same pics while scrolling which bothers me. But neither pics seem to work in the party bar. I have tried re-saving them all then reloading like znancekivell said. But that does not work. All of these pics worked before so I have no idea why they don't now.
  • NildarNildar Member Posts: 33
    edited April 2016
    @Olteron I am not sure how the new coding works, but maybe special signs like the underscore ( _ ) in your example bug them out now? It might be worth a try at least if you haven't tried so already. You could also try giving them a very generic name with L and M on the end and see if that makes them work.

/edit Another thing that might be useful to some: There are two places to store portraits. The override folder in the game directory and the portraits folder in the documents directory. The override folder has the highest priority. This means that if you have portraits in both folders and only change the ones in the documents directory then the unchanged portraits in the override folder with the same name will still be used.

illathid
  • AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470
    Nildar said:

@znancekivell Have you tried renaming your custom portraits? The game now only uses the L (character creation and character screen) and M portraits (Right side of the screen and for the chat window). If you rename your xxxxxS portraits to xxxxxM portraits (and xxxxxM to xxxxxL if needed) it should work again. My custom portraits worked like a charm. I could scroll through them during character creation (immersion ftw) and the game matched the L portrait to the correct M portrait on its own.

That sounds very tedious and annoying. Before they changed it all you had to do to make it work was right size and right bmp type and the game would fit it the correct position. And if you have a lot of custom portraits like I do. Scrolling through all those portraits is going to take forever. Sigh
    jackjack
    Nildar said:

@Olteron I am not sure how the new coding works, but maybe special signs like the underscore ( _ ) in your example bug them out now? It might be worth a try at least if you haven't tried so already. You could also try giving them a very generic name with L and M on the end and see if that makes them work.

/edit Another thing that might be useful to some: There are two places to store portraits. The override folder in the game directory and the portraits folder in the documents directory. The override folder has the highest priority. This means that if you have portraits in both folders and only change the ones in the documents directory then the unchanged portraits in the override folder with the same name will still be used.

Tried that. Its very strange. Some portraits work. Others did not. then later for no reason the ones that did stopped working. And I did not even change them. I have tried with (_) and without. I'm about to pull my hair out.
  • fkirenicusfkirenicus Member Posts: 331
    edited April 2016
    Oh dear. I'm not sure I like this new UI. Is there any way to go back to the previous?
    I've been playing BG since 1999, so I am somewhat conservative when it comes to such things... :wink:
    Also, I play one and the same game on my PC, my Android tablet and my Android phone. I fear now this won't work, since the version on the PC is different from the version on the mobile units. Does anyone know when BGEE in Google Play will be updated?
    dvdbangsrud
    OMG I got a lot of the ones that were not working to work. But now the ones that were working are not. LOL this is madness!!
    jackjack
    Holy cow I got it to work. So it seems the game does not like different format for names. If some names have ( _ ) in them and others don't it gets confused. so all or nothing. I chose to take them all out. Other problems are if some names start in a capital letter and others don't it gets confused. So had to take all caps off the first letter of the file name.

Then I had to dance a jig while holding a broken umbrella in a lightning storm to get mother gaia to strike my computer with lightning and then kick a baby kitten to appease the trickster gods.

Whew. okay. now i can play. thanks for all your help guys.
    Nildar
  • CraigopogoCraigopogo Member Posts: 3
    A lot of the changes seem kind of... unnecessary, but not bad. I really like the change to equipping 2H weapons; it always bugged me that I had to manually switch from sword and shield to a bow. Being able to equip everything and switch quickly is a great change.

The one thing that really bugs me is the new spellbook. One page is a scrollable list, so it's not as easy to see what you have memorized and the other page is just instructions? What a waste of space. Why even keep the book motif if the memorized spells are just in a little bar beneath it and half the screen isn't used for anything meaningful?
    dvdbangsrud
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Has anyone having the portraits problem tried EEKeeper? You can use it to put separate large and small portraits for each character, as long as the portraits are named correctly (7 characters plus L or S) and are saved at *exactly* 110x170 and 38x60. (Even one bit off those sizes and Keeper can't see them).