Skip to content

Difficulty

The difficulty of Legacy of Bhaal is ridicolously high. I started a new BG1 game to test it and it is near to impossible to go through some monsters. A couple of encounters I already see will be impossible in the later stages of the game is the super strong werewolf in the ToTSC expansion on the last level of Baldurans Ship. Does anyone agree? :-)

I love the ide aof having a difficulty like that, but it should be tuned down a bit I believe.

Comments

• GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    The difficulty mode should imo, and I guess will probably since it's a feeling shared by many, be somewhat adapted in the early baldur's gate 1. The flat amount of hp addition makes the beginning of the game boringly unbalanced as ennemies are just bags of hp to be kited around for hours. And even high difficulty modes shouldn't be boring I think.
  • TisamonTisamon Member Posts: 209
    It's not a design decision Beamdog made on a whim, but rather a faithful enough port of the original IWD Heart of Fury mode. While I'm not opposed to the idea of having a somewhat toned-down version of LoB/HoF, I would also like the original HoF settings to exist as a separate mode. For historical reasons, if nothing else :)
    Ithual
    LoB doesn't feature the exp boost that HoF has so you can't expect them to work the same.
    AbelIthual
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    While I cannot definitively confirm or deny this, are you sure @GrimLefourbe ? While I haven't checked it myself, I thought you were getting more XP for LoB Kills than for the same standard kills.

Again, I haven't tried this myself.
    edited April 2016
    Yes, I witnessed it and read that it was intentionnal though I can't point where exactly.

IIRC, the idea was that the bonus exp makes the playthrough easier as the game goes on because your characters become as overpowered as your opponents and this isn't the aim of the mode.

IIRC as well, the hp in LoB is 80+3*previous hp so against most monsters at higher levels it will be from 3 to 5 times as many hp as before. On kobolds though, that is 23 times as many hp as before which makes them terribly long to kill while not multiplying their damage output by 23 so it highly changes the balance of hp/threat that ennemies feature.
    Abel
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    edited April 2016
    @Tisamon Not entirely faithful, as summons don't get boosted I believe. And monsters don't get an AC bonus. But IWDEE monsters weren't getting it either (see my report) .
  • TisamonTisamon Member Posts: 209
    @Abel Sure. That's why I worded it 'a faithful enough port' :)
    Abel
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    Is it just me or the normal difficulty is much higher then it should be ???
  • WakukeeWakukee Member Posts: 106
    Is there a way to face the additional monsters spawned by LoB without the extra damage and HP?
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    I think insane with difficulty based damage scaling disabled does just that.
    Ithual
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    saox said:

I love the ide aof having a difficulty like that, but it should be tuned down a bit I believe.

try lowering the difficulty. might help. i have an inkling about that, call it intuition.

Ithual
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    kaguana said:

Is it just me or the normal difficulty is much higher then it should be ???

@kaguana I actually found Insane difficulty to be allright except against
    the green dragon

LoB though, I don't think I'd do it without a custom party.
  • Granas3Granas3 Member Posts: 41
    Wakukee said:

Is there a way to face the additional monsters spawned by LoB without the extra damage and HP?

I think there's an option to turn off the extra damage etc on higher difficulties, but i vaguely recall that LoB doesn't do that?
    Ithual
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Giving BG1 and 2 the same difficulty based encounter scaling as SoD is definitely high on my wishlist of things I want to come in future patches
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    Granas3 said:

Wakukee said:

I think there's an option to turn off the extra damage etc on higher difficulties, but i vaguely recall that LoB doesn't do that?
    insane and lob have the same monsters, it's just that they have pumped stats in lob