Skip to content

Mods, 2.0 and SoD

MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
So, let me get it straight. If I want to play BGEE and BG2EE with mods, AND want to get my party thought SoD as well, I have to
1. Do not touch update 2.0
2. Run BGEE from it's launcher (not from SoD)
3. Use last save with SoD (loosing all mods and hoping it will not crash the game)
4. Load last SoD save into modded BG2, which is launched from it's own launcher.

Pros - you can use all mods already installed, Cons - no shaman class and no update 2.0 perks either.

Sounds right?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    Could you elaborate, please?
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,433
    BG2:EE can be modded as usual. BG:EE with the SoD expansion cannot be modded at present if you installed it from GOG or Steam. You can still mod plain BG:EE if you uninstall the SoD expansion.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    altho the steam issue may have been temporally fixed. as someone made a mod to unzip the sod file and make it like the beamdog folder.
    argent77 said:

BG2:EE can be modded as usual. BG:EE with the SoD expansion cannot be modded at present if you installed it from GOG or Steam. You can still mod plain BG:EE if you uninstall the SoD expansion.

And since I am using GOG version, my "how to play" list stays correct, right? Keep each game apart, play modified BG1EE and BG2EE and only transfer saves between them and SoD.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • UlbUlb Member Posts: 295

but honestly with 15-year-old fan-made mods... at some point you just have to leave them behind.

Are you talking about 15 year old mods or mods about 15 year olds.. I can't tell :wink:

edited April 2016

It's just your step 1 that I think is wrong. You *should* update to 2.0... maybe. I don't even know if you can install SoD if you don't have BGEE 2.0.

Tested already and can tell you for sure, that you can in fact install SoD without 2.0. You also can load saves from 1.3 (modified) but loose all modifications (some saves do crash the game - did not figure out why). You also can create a new character in SoD and load it into modified 1.3 BG1EE. If it is shaman - your character appears in 1.3 BGEE class-less. Did not try to play like this though.

Mods will need a bit of time to shake out, which is natural. Some work fine already (like mine! :) ) and others will be updated in time. Some might never be updated, but honestly with 15-year-old fan-made mods... at some point you just have to leave them behind.

And this is exactly what I worry about and have to disagree with you on. Some of that 15-year-old fan-made mods become a part of the game for me. It took me a very long time to sort out mods I like and made them work with each other, getting the "perfect" game as I see it. No UI change can make up for a loss of additional NPC or dialogs lines. May be one day all my favorite mods will be converted but what if not? And what to do in a meantime?

Guess, the only way is to either keep one "old" game installation and play every part separately (still did not come to the import of the right last save into SoD) or simply play 2 game sets, keeping one with 2.0 and SOD on different disc.
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,433
    It's basically the same situation (but to a lesser extent) as when the first Enhanced Edition game came out. You'll have to wait a while for mods to be updated. I'm certain that even some of the 15-year-old and abandoned mods will be patched eventually if they are still popular.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    atlest this issue only a[pplies to bg1 whitch has way less mods then 2 does.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819

Mirandel said:

And this is exactly what I worry about and have to disagree with you on. Some of that 15-year-old fan-made mods become a part of the game for me. It took me a very long time to sort out mods I like and made them work with each other, getting the "perfect" game as I see it. No UI change can make up for a loss of additional NPC or dialogs lines. May be one day all my favorite mods will be converted but what if not? And what to do in a meantime?

I mean, in that case you can always play BGT. But this is a new game. If someone wrote a mod 15 years ago and is now long gone from the scene, and the new game requires alterations to the code, what do you expect to happen?

Example: the Faiths of Faerun mod by Mordeus & Requiem. They had a playable beta, a lot of people liked it. Now they are gone, and the mod is gone, and we're making a new mod that is inspired by it, but is necessarily different. Some players might like FoF better and wish they could use it now... but that's just not an option. Life is difficult. I'm not sure what else to tell you.
    And @Archaic's fantastic GUI mod. Boy, if only that could happen...

If someone wrote a mod 15 years ago and is now long gone from the scene, and the new game requires alterations to the code, what do you expect to happen?

I expected them to not touch original game? :) This is just a DLC after all. So far it looks like it might work this way. IF I do not touch the part affecting gameplay but only play DLC itself. Do hope I am not mistaken I will be able to use my new save from the old game-version.

Example: the Faiths of Faerun mod by Mordeus & Requiem. They had a playable beta, a lot of people liked it. Now they are gone, and the mod is gone, and we're making a new mod that is inspired by it, but is necessarily different. Some players might like FoF better and wish they could use it now... but that's just not an option. Life is difficult. I'm not sure what else to tell you.

Not talking about unfinished or still developing mods. Only about already so "hard-coded" in my canon BGEE. That transition alone was hard enough to repeat the process. So, hope life will be kind to me and allow to use every game separately. May be someone will be able even to cut out Shaman class and add it to 1.3 version - who knows?