Skip to content

A question about what has been changed with female characters.

This isn't me trolling or anything, but I have read a lot of negativity recently on these forums. Can someone give me an honest answer before I get this game, have the female characters been changed to feminazi man haters like some posts suggest? or is it an exaggeration?

Comments

• PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    Nothing has been changed. The backlash is about one writer's comment that aJaheira and Safana were one dimensional tropes in the first game and how they would be given more depth in this one.

Be careful what you read – there is a hate campaign against this game and people who haven't even played it are making sweeping generalizations out of any little thing they can grab on to.

I would suggest playing it. If you don't like it, you can get a refund. But I can assure you it's not packed with social messaging in any sense of the word. People are lying in an attempt to limit the game's success.
  • gesellegeselle Member Posts: 325
    it's all about one transgender character, one strong single mother, one jab at gamergate, or whatever the shit is called. and how people feel it's forced down their throats.
    beamdog is the first developer to be hit by the political pendulum swinging back to the right in full force.
  • craymond727craymond727 Member Posts: 208
    Simply put, all party NPCs have greater banter & dialogue compared to the first Baldur's Gate. Safana and Jaheira were flushed out beyond their initial tropes, but have not been altered in any significant way.
  • DetectiveMittensDetectiveMittens Member Posts: 235
    Let's not forget about the 'ham-fisted dank memes' being forced down our throats in a brief, optional discussion about sewers with a tavern patron.
  • gunmangunman Member Posts: 215
    “If there was something for the original Baldur’s Gate that just doesn’t mesh for modern day gamers like the sexism, [we tried to address that],” said writer Amber Scott ...

So if you are not a "modern" gamer who is happy in the bandwagon of politically correctness, chances are you won't like the writing and any complaint will be dismissed as negativism, hatred, trolling etc.

But not everything modern is automatically better, we see a decline in quality for appealing the masses in all forms of expression, be it music, movies, computer games... The focus is on the wrapping of the content instead of quality and innovation.

That's why I would rather call this game BG:2016 edition, not Enhanced Edition, because enhanced would mean superior to the original. Different, yes, superior debatable.
    For those of you simply quoting Amber's interview, have you played the game with either Safana or Jaheira? I'm not seeing anyone actually comment on those two characters in game. And the man-hating NPC from the first game has even been left out of the campaign, if I remember correctly.
  • Diogenes42Diogenes42 Member Posts: 597
    I started a new game and Imoen wouldn't let me do the first dungeon because there was a "No Boys Allowed" sign on the front, curse you Beamdog.
    I couldn't even create a male character, you lucky dog!
  • minsc4prezminsc4prez Member Posts: 105
    I've been playing with Safana, being that she is the only recruitable rogue i've ran into so far. My opinion on her is that she is very rude and annoying and i will ditch her the first chance i come across someone that can find traps