Skip to content

My thoughts on Mizhena as a Cleric of Tempus myself

Hey there Beamdog forums. I just wanted to give my feelings on the inclusion of this character from the perspective of someone who serves the Lord of Battles.

For background: I was born 1358 DR, as an unclassed human peasant. As early as I can remember, I have wished that I was a servant of Tempus. When I was in kindergarten, my teacher asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up and I said a bane to the enemies of the Foehammer. My parents first recognized (but not accepted) my feelings when I was four and thought I would grow out of it. I thought I would too, but I didn't. I'm 24 now, I've been channeling the divine might of Tempus for a while and am trying to make the best of my situation and live my life in the way I feel is most comfortable for me.

Let me just say that as a Cleric of Tempus I would never, EVER introduce myself to someone by telling them that I serve the Lord of Battles

The way your character converses with Mizhena is almost totally different than it is for everyone else in the game. You can be rude, mean, funny, or just throw a witty retort or remark to almost everyone in the game over the smallest thing, but even an evil blackguard who murders everyone in sight can only say "I don't know much about Tempus, tell me more", "How interesting" or "Good day to you".

The inclusion of Mizhena is utterly pointless. Having a cleric of Tempus character just to have one brings nothing to the story, all it does is take you back to the 'real world', which to me ruins the immersion I'm supposed to feel playing a fantasy game. I would rather there be no Cleric of Tempus character than a pointless one.

Harshness aside, I do want to say that other than this I think the expansion is fun and I applaud Beamdog for working hard on it, especially for getting the old voice actors back. I'm still looking forward to what you guys release in the future.

Comments

• zealerzealer Member Posts: 30
    Jokes aside the best argument against Mizhena that I've read so far was that trans characters in the Forgotten Realms would be a non issue since they would just polymorph to their preferred gender.

What worries me though is the stance of the writer, regarding sexism in BG and injecting her ideologies in game and not caring about criticism. That's an awful thing to say.

Minsc's line was also a terrible idea, and I would advise against it even if it was pro-gamergate.

Otherwise I'm having a lot of fun with the game, there are bugs, writing isn't great overall, but I love playing another BG game, combat is fun, areas are amazing and beautiful, it's a great game tainted by unnecessary things.
  • Diogenes42Diogenes42 Member Posts: 597
    zealer said:

Jokes aside the best argument against Mizhena that I've read so far was that trans characters in the Forgotten Realms would be a non issue since they would just polymorph to their preferred gender.

What worries me though is the stance of the writer, regarding sexism in BG and injecting her ideologies in game and not caring about criticism. That's an awful thing to say.

Minsc's line was also a terrible idea, and I would advise against it even if it was pro-gamergate.

Otherwise I'm having a lot of fun with the game, there are bugs, writing isn't great overall, but I love playing another BG game, combat is fun, areas are amazing and beautiful, it's a great game tainted by unnecessary things.

Please do not go offtopic and discuss things unrelated to being a Cleric or Cleric of Tempus.
  • zealerzealer Member Posts: 30

Please do not go offtopic and discuss things unrelated to being a Cleric or Cleric of Tempus.

I apologize, I'll check my non-spellcaster privilege.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    I clearly said that I was human at the beginning of the thread, not a Troll. However any Trolls, Ogres or Ettins who wish to be Clerics of Tempus are welcome to join in the discussion.
  • supytalpssupytalps Member Posts: 24

TROLL THREAD MODERATORS PLEASE CLOSE

I don't think human fighters should have say in our discussion. From the comfortable position of warrior privilege maybe this just seems like a joke to you but to me this is a serious issue.
  • killerrabbitkillerrabbit Member Posts: 402
    edited April 2016
    I agree with the poster even though I am not a cleric of Tempus myself.

I think it is important to note that the people criticizing Beamdog for including a Cleric of Tempus in the game are all for ecumenical expression. We are just concerned that this particular cleric was badly written and shoehorned in a way that that actually does damage to the cause of interfaith tolerance that we care about. Care so very much.

Because love of clerics is my primary motivation in life I have no other option available to me than to pan the game in every forum I will join in the next three hours.

I agree with the poster even though I am not a cleric of Tempus myself.

I think it is important to note that the people criticizing Beamdog for including a Cleric of Tempus in the game are all for ecumenical expression. We are just concerned that this particular cleric was badly written and shoehorned in a way that that actually does damage to the cause of interfaith tolerance that we care about. Care so very much.

Because love of clerics is my primary motivation in life I have no other option available to me than to pan the game in every forum I will join in the next three hours.

My friend I appreciate your zeal but please remember that the Lord of Battles encourages us to choose our battles wisely and not to rush into things.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.