Skip to content

So, a thought on the...

BaldurBaldur Member Posts: 54
...shall we say "controversial" topic.

I'm not sure if it's been brought up elsewhere on here or not yet, but given that the general consensus regarding Mizhena is that there isn't really so much an issue with her being transgendered, but rather the blatantly agenda-driven format of her characterization, the poor writing, the lack of believable dialogue and interactions with her, particularly in regard to the dialogue options that the player has when dealing with her, and the fact that she wears her transgender status like a badge of honor rather than like a realistic person would.

Now, based on the observed response to this criticism, I'm going to presume that we're never going to see this corrected on Beamdog's end.. so rather than fueling an angry mob, why not take this as an opportunity to do something more productive instead? How long would any of you estimate it would take for the community's modders to go through Dragonspear and fix Mizhena? To turn her into a legitimate character with depth and good writing and the same level of respect (and potential disrespect) that the rest of the cast of characters are privy to in the series? It strikes me as a pretty worthwhile project, and it would be a pretty good way to show up all the ignorant SJWs who think that the criticism is being fueled by a hatred of transgendered people.

If what I hear about there being ex-Bioware employees involved in this mess is truthful, then I know from experience that this will never be addressed in a polite and respectful fashion that acknowledges criticisms. So rather than waste time complaining to an entity that probably won't listen, why not put the energy into something we can actually be both proud of, and satisfied with?

Just my two coppers.

Comments

• simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    Baldur said:

I'm not sure if it's been brought up elsewhere on here or not yet

first of all: have you even skimmed the front page? (not jumping down your throat).

second: well-written and thought out.. i agree that the main issue is her being 2D. that being said, i don't really think it would have mattered one way or the other, the backlash would've been just as huge. people who had never heard of the series before have now set out on some sort of witch hunt against the devs with total disregard for any consequences, financial or otherwise.

the few well-meaning and thoughtful opinions have been lost in a sea of mob-fueled, hateful responses by people who have NO idea what they're talking about and were (seemingly) just looking for the next thing to be "outraged" by.