Skip to content

Review so far

Love it.
I was worried this game wouldn't bring the nerd. I am pleasantly surprised, there's nerd all of this gem of a game. Still I got my wife to play it with me for a bit. She thinks it's pretty good and she didnt like baldurs gate lol

some of the voice acting is really good. Some of it is weak and amateurish. I focus much more dialog than voice acting. As far as writing goes its great. Every character sounds right, acts right. Skie seems over the top but I never had her in my party. Minsc is Minsc at it reminds me of being 12 years old and thinking "man that bald loud guy with a hampster is the best" his voice acting is right where it left off. Maybe a little rough sounding but he has been on an epic adventure for quite a while.

Story is compelling, interesting, and the Bhaal aspect is in a really good prequel style. I love the boldness of it, it dares to be epic and use ALL the good style that BG2 had. It doesnt feel like a weak mod made by a fan or a hack n slash story that serves on to deliver more combat. Its a good story and an interesting one. Including an iconic baldurs gate character into it was a great idea.
Combat is kind of easy, I ended up exporting my 1 character and using a much weaker party missing several good items
The game so far has given me what I was looking for. A blast from the past. It goes where games got lost years ago. To The beginning of great modern RPG story telling and beamdog hasn't forgotten anything.

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

Combat is kind of easy, I ended up exporting my 1 character and using a much weaker party missing several good items

Out of curiousity what difficulty setting did you play on?
  • ojthesimpsonojthesimpson Member Posts: 121
    I play on core rules.

So I've gotten so far into the game and now I am having "I hope its not over soon" anxiety.

I love that the game dares to be a Baldurs Gate game through and through. Its intense, the characters go through some shit. There's epic fights.... Like stuff u never could have seen on a Pentium 2 in 1998. There's moral ambiguity .....more like a Ultima game (a good one). There's positive and 3d portrayals of women ...(crazy right?)
    You see characters I never would have thought they could pull off in an expansion 20 years later..... and they pull them off
    There's plenty of Bhaal and being the son of a murdered God. Love that stuff.
    There's great character development for bg1 characters that never got their due in BG2
    There's time in the game to enjoy being "the hero of baldurs gate" and its a lot more fun than I would have thought
    Honestly for anyone who loves Baldurs Gate and Ad&d as much as me I just can't understand the few negative reviews I've seen. are u people crazy? I played the new D and D game that just game out and ive already forgotten its name. it sucked. SUUUUCCCKKKEEEDDD.
    I had little joy in my life outside of a few hours a week playing RPGs and if I have to play another dragonage game cause they didnt make a bg2 expansion....well I'm gonna climb the proverbial clock tower.
    I was honestly expecting it to be more hack n slash, simple and focused. Not epic. Not bold.
    They took some serious chances on the style and I love it. They could have made a whole new title with the effort they put into this....an expansion of a 20 year old game. my hat is off. great game.
    if its really only 25 hours long ima gonna be bummed out.