Skip to content

Optional Classic Features

I loved the new additions in 2.0 and thought the best part was how these were not forced on you. Why not take optional features even further, especially for fans who like a more old-school feel to Baldur's Gate. I compiled a few feature ideas (from easy to implement to this might take some work) for both older players and new players who could experience classic Baldur's Gate but with the modern support of the Enhanced Editions.

1. Original Movies: This has been asked for since the Enhanced Edition first launched; adding the option to watch the old movies instead of the current hand painted ones. Both Baldur's Gate 2 and Icewind Dale have their original movies and would make perfect sense to add them.

2. Classic Journal: This is more of a Baldur's Gate 1 feature. One of my favorite features of Baldur's Gate 1 was how the journal was an actual journal, putting down entries by date and chapter with no clear label saying "quest". You could even make this available in Baldur's Gate 2.

3. Solid HUD: This was available when EE first launched but was later removed with further updates. I would like to have the option of having the classic solid IE interface. There's two notable reasons why I like it, it has an artistic/atmospheric feel to it and I am not a fan how how you can pan off the map now. Enabling a solid HUD is an easy way to remedy this.

4. Classic Camera Lock: I put this last because even though it's my number one feature request, it will be the trickiest to implement especially for an optional feature. Locking the camera to the height to the original Baldur's Gate. Both games were designed around this camera height, from the maps size to the character sprites. This combined with solid hud can help elevate scrolling off the map. I know if you were to actually implement this it would take some tweaks to new cutscenes and tech regarding the zoom feature, but defiantly worth thinking about.

So that's my list of optional features, what do you think would be a nice classic feature?

Comments

• rashkaerashkae Member Posts: 179
    Actually, optionally locking camera to default is *already* implemented in 2.0. Just remember though, you probably have fond memories of playing bg on an 800x600 screen. Using the original sprite size on a high resolution display will probably make things a bit smaller than you expect.