Skip to content

Quick save numbers

How do I reduce the number of quick saves? I can't find option even in baldur.ini file.

Comments

• agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    Ditto.
    Is this something we can change at all, perhaps with the console?
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    The number of quick save slots is hard coded at 4, for 4 rotating slots.

I think what we found in our BG and BG2 days is that many players were using Quicksave ONLY to save their game since it's so convenient. The problem with that is that they ended up getting stuck in a bind in some way (whether from their own choices or bugs they ran into), and the only thing they had was their last Quicksave...

Which INEVITABLY was from 5 seconds before they found the bug in question. We got a lot of help requests that took up a lot of time to try to hack around issues with player's games that could have been solved by "reload a save from 10 minutes ago and try again".

Please don't read me wrong, we don't mind helping people, but having, essentially, a single save slot for an entire 50 hour game is not condusive to an easy play through.

I suspect it was felt that upping the number of quick saves would help, and thus we did.
  • AaezilAaezil Member Posts: 178
    Already used this feature a few times - love it
    Sure, that's reasonable. Making the number of quicksaves configurable would be the best option though.

Thanks for the link @mf2112, once I saw the file elminister generated, I just modified it to generate 2.
  • AutequiAutequi Member Posts: 403
    Illydth said:

The number of quick save slots is hard coded at 4, for 4 rotating slots.

Oh, that's a relief! I thought each quicksave would occupy its own slot, ad infinitum. I don't mind 4 rotating slots.