Skip to content

My review - will also post on Steam later

Main Plot

I liked it. It was nice to have an adversary that was not completely evil for once. The crusade had some nice personalities in them.

But I would have liked the Shining Lady to not just care about her uncle - it is fine as her motivation, but that does not preclude caring about the rest of the captured people. And her switch to Blackguard in some of the paths is a bit sudden and not believable. It could have been better if some other fiend (Yxunomei?) would have offered her power to defeat Belhifet instead.

As some others, I also think they went a bit too far with the cameos. Would have liked another denizen of Avernus instead. There was no plot reason for it to be Belhifet and increase the number of coincidences.

Even though many will disagree, I think Irenicus was also overused. He should have been in, but not so much. Especially in the end - the entire murder of Skie and blaming the Bhaalspawn is needlessly elaborate. The jail sequence is even worse - why should he wait for you to be released from jail before snatching you? And using these complicated schemes instead of his usual overwhelming magical power to just capture you by brute force detracts from his portrayal in BG 2.

I can sympathize with this, as when you get David Warner you want to make the best use of them. But I think it went a bit too far.

If you read this you might think the plot is worse than I think it is. It is just easier to point out the things that were not done that well than put the finger on exactly why the rest is good.

Art

I liked both the concept art and the cut scenes. With the actual in-game areas there were high- and lowlights.

Boareskyr Bridge in game really disappointed me, as it looked so great in the chapter introduction and the concept art. But both the statues and the residue of Bhaal tainting the river were just not done well on the actual map.

My favourite area was the Underground River, which was very beautiful, including the sparkling water. The final area was also nice, but I think it is easier to make good hellish areas than good urban areas as in BG 2.

All in all, it is better than the original Baldur's Gate, but worse than Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment or Baldur's Gate 2.

Having so many new creatures from Torment and IWD is great and will help modders.

NPCs

I have played with Corwin and Glint. Voghlin was also in my party for a while, so those are the only new characters I can comment on. None of them are literary masterpieces, but that is true for the majority of the original BG 2 characters as well.

They are decently written and believable. Glint is basically a less over the top version of Jan and Corwin is a no-nonsense soldier. Voice-acting was also solid.

The original NPCs seem perfectly consistent with their Baldur's Gate 2 depiction. Any concerns about Safana and Jaheira being changed to fit an ominous "Agenda" are misplaced.

Item design

Most of the new items are balanced and fit with the rest of the series. There does not seem anything to be as overpowered as the original Stupefier.

Examples of items I like include the Bard's Hat and the Troll Decapitator. I am not a fan of items that give a higher bonus to a particular kit - they seem too specialized and while there are class specific items in the rest of the series, there is nothing kit specific.

Also many boni seem to be more incremental than the AD&D 2nd edition usually is. For example, there are several items with a + 1 bonus to a stat or a +5% bonus to magic resistance, while classical 2nd edition items often set your stat to a specific value (strength girdles, gauntlets of dex). There are some people who will like this and other who won't.

Encounter design

All in all, very solid, especially with the new AI. I especially liked the Lich, the Dragon and the encounters in the Temple of Bhaal/Cyric. The large battle scenes were also interesting.

On the downside, there was a bit too much filler. A prime example is the undead area with the dwarves. There are a lots of encounters there that are not quite challenging enough to make them interesting, but not trivial enough to make them fast.

The same is true with the spider groups that are liberally placed in the entire game.

Another memorable fight was the duel near to the end, when storming the castle. However, I was annoyed that the enemy wants you not to hide or use invisibility (she aborts the duel if you do) and later in the fight uses Sanctuary to heal herself.

Music

Fit very well to the rest of the series. I will have to listen to the soundtrack more, before having a final opinion, but I think it is good but not great. The themes are not as instantly memorable as the Baldur's Gate Main Theme or the NPC themes in BG 2. But that might be because they blend so well with the original music.

Final Verdict (spoiler free)

8.5/10

Place in the series for me:

BG 2 > ToB (with Ascension) > SoD > TotSC > Original BG > ToB (vanilla)

Comments

• rjmacreadyrjmacready Member Posts: 91
    edited April 2016
    Great review.

Also

Thanks for pointing out about the duel during the siege. I had no stoneskin left so immediately went for imp inv and she got all salty. I thought it was a bug.

Knowing now that she pulls the sanctuary+heal trick makes me hate her even more. Luckily I chunked that little pidgeon after she ran away from the duel crying, hehe.
  • Diogenes42Diogenes42 Member Posts: 597
    Glad to hear you are enjoying the game my friend. Thank you for your thoughts.