Skip to content

Game is just fun

Ignoring the obvious political / social drama going on... I am having a blast playing Siege of Dragonspear. I am back in a world i have always loved... it takes me away and quickly gets my mind of RL.

Few things i think are top notch here:

Story integration with bg1 and bg2
Voice Acting !!!
Exploration is rewarded
Encounters are fun / interesting thus far especially the one at the Statues ;)

Thank you Beamdog !

Comments

• bradbrad Member Posts: 32
    Same. I thought it was a great game until chapter 12 or 13, and that's when I fell completely in love. This is at least on par with the originals, and in many aspects it surpasses them!
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    I'm still only in Chapter 8 but have been loving it so far. It's a really great blend of BGI and BGII with the pretty scenery on IWD. I've been purposely limiting my play time to stretch it out :)
  • FrancoisFrancois Member Posts: 452
    edited April 2016
    I agree, it's awesome. It feels great to really start a whole new adventure. I just finished the first dungeon and the assassination attempt. Just taking a little break. I can't wait to recruit my new party. I like Imoen's new portrait; too bad she can't come with me. I enjoy the overall look of the new interface and new map format. It's fun to see some monster sprites from IWD. Only negative point is I don't really like Safana's new voice acting (nowhere near sultry enough). Anyway I'm probably going to try the new gnome thief instead.

• shabushabushabushabu Member Posts: 15
    procco said:

I'm still only in Chapter 8 but have been loving it so far. It's a really great blend of BGI and BGII with the pretty scenery on IWD. I've been purposely limiting my play time to stretch it out :)

Ya, this will be a replay-er for sure...
  • minsc4prezminsc4prez Member Posts: 105
    It was fun, but i was slightly disappointed that i didnt find any better armor or weapons for my scimitar wielding blade than what i had already had in BG1, I guess that is what i get for killing Drizzt.
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    Francois said:

I agree, it's awesome. It feels great to really start a whole new adventure. I just finished the first dungeon and the assassination attempt. Just taking a little break. I can't wait to recruit my new party. I like Imoen's new portrait; too bad she can't come with me. I enjoy the overall look of the new interface and new map format. It's fun to see some monster sprites from IWD. Only negative point is I don't really like Safana's new voice acting (nowhere near sultry enough). Anyway I'm probably going to try the new gnome thief instead.

That's so weird, I thought it was so over-the-top sultry that I dropped her from the party (not for political reasons, I just found her annoying). It's interesting to see someone have the opposite reaction.
    edited April 2016
    Purudaya said:

That's so weird, I thought it was so over-the-top sultry that I dropped her from the party (not for political reasons, I just found her annoying). It's interesting to see someone have the opposite reaction.

I guess I just fell in love with her original intonations and anything different doesn't work for me. The original had warm syrupy harmonics, like she was slowly savoring every word while speaking them. The knew one is just a flat imitation. Actually it's not so bad when she says some new lines; just having a different voice for old cherished lines feel odd. I felt a bit the same about Minsc, the same actor saying the same lines as before (especially the hide-in-shadows) felt weird because of the different intonations. But his new material is top notch so far (300 pounds of justice!).
  • Grimo88Grimo88 Member Posts: 191
    edited April 2016
    I'm having a blast. I was openly critical of the 'enhancements' and the sloppy writing of Dorn, Rasaad, Neera and *shudder* Hexxat, among other things, when the EEs first game out (check my forum posts if you don't believe me - at one point, to my great shame, I called Beamdog 'talentless hacks'). In fact, the EEs kinda got me off these games entirely at one point.

But this has made this all worth it. I'm absolutely loving my second playthrough, grinning like an idiot. I LOVED Pillars of Eternity, but now that I'm playing an FR game again, I've realised what was missing from that fantastic (but weighty-themed) game; unadulterated, awesome fun. I haven't been disappointed with one dungeon, one zany character, or one quest yet.

M'kiin is so well written/acted that it has made me completely reevaluate my slaughter of goblins in all the other EE titles. Suddenly, they aren't faceless stormtroopers any more. Haven't felt pathos for a character like this in a while.
  • Grimo88Grimo88 Member Posts: 191
    Francois said:

Purudaya said:

I guess I just fell in love with her original intonations and anything different doesn't work for me. The original had warm syrupy harmonics, like she was slowly savoring every word while speaking them. The knew one is just a flat imitation. Actually it's not so bad when she says some new lines; just having a different voice for old cherished lines feel odd. I felt a bit the same about Minsc, the same actor saying the same lines as before (especially the hide-in-shadows) felt weird because of the different intonations. But his new material is top notch so far (300 pounds of justice!).
    My favourite new line:

'Little girl, in this world, there are many butts. There are good butts, and those we shall leave unkicked.'

Man it's good to have him back. And since the comics where he returns to life are canon, we might even see him in BGNext!
    Grimo88 said:

Francois said:

Purudaya said:

My favourite new line:

'Little girl, in this world, there are many butts. There are good butts, and those we shall leave unkicked.'

Man it's good to have him back. And since the comics where he returns to life are canon, we might even see him in BGNext!
    I've taken to yelling "Stings, doesn't it evil?" now whenever I outmaneuver an aggressive driver.

Grimo88 said:

M'kiin is so well written/acted that it has made me completely reevaluate my slaughter of goblins in all the other EE titles. Suddenly, they aren't faceless stormtroopers any more. Haven't felt pathos for a character like this in a while.

I really can't tell you how happy it makes me that 1) M'Khiin resonated with you. and 2) you called her a character. I can get really hot under the collar when people call her a monster--a couple co-workers would do it just because it amused them to watch me rant like a madman about how goblins are people too.

My biggest frustration with Siege is that there are 4 new characters that I want to have in my party...plus 3 EE ones with new content, plus the all-new Minsc and Dynaheir - which make 9 absolutely essential companions to cram into a party of 6. As a testament to what a great character she is, I tried to cut M'Kiin twice and had to select the "I feel like enough people have disregarded you already" line both times because it kicked me right in the feels. Excellent job.
  • EscarcheEscarche Member Posts: 61
    edited April 2016
    @Grimo88
    Well, M'kiin actually would want these all goblins to be slaughtered so you didn't have to reevaluate anything.

She didn't appreciate at all, when I didn't kill her brethren on the road and instead give them money. "Use your head". Oh, I'll use a head, alright? Yours, bashing a next crusader we meet! :D

Ah, that ungrateful..! Hey, it's anger, but good immersive anger.
    Post edited by Escarche on
  • Diogenes42Diogenes42 Member Posts: 597
    Purudaya said:

Grimo88 said:

I really can't tell you how happy it makes me that 1) M'Khiin resonated with you. and 2) you called her a character. I can get really hot under the collar when people call her a monster--a couple co-workers would do it just because it amused them to watch me rant like a madman about how goblins are people too.

My biggest frustration with Siege is that there are 4 new characters that I want to have in my party...plus 3 EE ones with new content, plus the all-new Minsc and Dynaheir - which make 9 absolutely essential companions to cram into a party of 6. As a testament to what a great character she is, I tried to cut M'Kiin twice and had to select the "I feel like enough people have disregarded you already" line both times because it kicked me right in the feels. Excellent job.
    I felt the same way friend. I hated having to choose only 5 buddies to take with me on adventures.
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    Sounds like you all need to play the game through a couple times. :)
  • TorinTorin Member Posts: 229
    Illydth said:

I played Bg1 like 20 times, I know I will get to play with all possible combinations in SoD :D
  • Diogenes42Diogenes42 Member Posts: 597
    Illydth said:

As devious as you are cunning. Well played friend.
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    /bow
  • BlackorbBlackorb Member Posts: 62
    edited April 2016
    I am only in chapter 8 but so far i am enjoying myself a lot.
    The only complaint i have is that there are not enough party slots :s ahahah.
    Anyway beamdog keep up the good work and please, don't let the social drama get to you guys you made a awesome game :#
  • shabushabushabushabu Member Posts: 15
    And.... the Map ROCKS.
    Baeloth's chicken pit is hillarious.

It was also fun to see Zaviak. I just wish he was recruitable.
  • The_ReverendThe_Reverend Member Posts: 17

Glad you're enjoying it!

Honestly, I'm only in the beginning and I think you guys have done an excellent job. I'm really happy with the expansion, ongoing bug fixes aside.