Skip to content

Dwarf dig questions (spoilers)

Ok managed to get most of the way through Dwarf dig after taking a break to go back and get half my party raised and then came back to find this part of the area:

The damn mephit "puzzle" - did I mention I hate puzzles in RPGs? - so I can't find any rhyme or reason to the puzzle - it just keeps spamming mephits - this is the one near the laboratory not the broken link to another plane - BTW I was unable to do anything with that one either we eventually just walked away from it - (perhaps the two are linked??) so back to the one near the lab - I assule some act of genius with this will finally open the door nearby and lead me to the lich with some options for me. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Diogenes42Diogenes42 Member Posts: 597
    Hello friend. You need to activate the pillars in the correct sequence, there should be a library earlier in the level that gives you the information you need.
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    Thanks!
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    I have to admit I did not bother finding the book, but if you do like me and activate by trial and error until you get the right combo, note that there is sort of a "flame" effect when you activate a correct pillar.
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    I did some trial and error but we took some each time and I'm no math wiz but with four pillars there's a LOT of options - damage especially bad from the fire mephits with their scorcher blasts - I'm not much for metagaming and sucking down or casting fire resistance when I have preknowledge it's coming (that my characters would not have)

- I also seem to recall reading a description of some sort of item dealing with mephits maybe from prologue??? Anyone know what this might be??
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    It's not that many options because you know whenever you make the right choice due to the flame effect and the non spawning of mephit.

Generally when you come across this, if you're too lazy to read a book like me, you can bruteforce it quickly.
    You've got 4 possible choices for the first one, so at most 4 tries to determine the first one, then at most 3 trials for the second one then 2 then the last one you can't be wrong so it's 9 tries but some are the same ones because the 4th try for the first pillar is also the first try for the 2nd one, so in the end, you've got at most 3+2+1 mephit spawns which is 6.

This is not too much and you've got to be very unlucky for it to happen.