Skip to content

Companion impressions! (minor spoilers)

Welp, just finished my SoD playthrough, and enjoyed it thoroughly. I have some gripes about the final battle, but that's a topic for another thread.

One of my favorite parts of the BG series - or of any party-based game - is experimenting with different party members, to see how their personalities mesh (or clash) in response to the events of the game. I was pretty excited that SoD would feature a mix of old and new NPCs, so that I could have yet another game to play through multiple times, in order to experience all the different party dynamics.

My party was...

Corwin: Stoic and no-nonsense, and I enjoyed this character more than I thought I would. She butted heads with a handful of other party members but was a welcome advisor throughout the rest of the game. I played a good-aligned PC, and I suspect she'd be a lot less supportive if I hadn't.

She also had a romance, which was relatively well-paced given how short the game itself was. Turned her down in the end, so I didn't see it run to its conclusion, but I enjoyed what I saw.

Glint: I had low expectations for yet another goofy gnome, but he was a bit more understated than Tiax or Jan, which was a refreshing change of pace. I'll admit, I laughed out loud a few times at some of his lines. He was pretty chatty throughout and had a couple of funny conversations with Corwin.

If there's one complaint, it's his romance:

I was nice to him throughout the game, and then suddenly he got all clingy and possessive - not itself a bad thing if that's how you want to write the character, but it came out of left field and I had no option to respond in what I thought would be a reasonable way. My only options to respond to him were either "kiss me, you fool" or "DON'T SMOTHER ME", and I feel like the more reasonable response was "uh, sorry dude, I didn't know you felt that way". I wonder if the romance skipped over a dialog at some point.

M'khiin: Pretty quiet, but had an interesting couple of side quests and overall enjoyed her ability to speak with spirits in certain situations. Butted heads with Corwin and Dynaheir, but only a little.

Minsc: Minsc was Minsc! The voice was the same, the writing was the same, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. I tend not to like over-the-top wackiness all that much, but there's just too much nostalgia here not to enjoy Minsc. It didn't feel like a mod, or a third-party-created character - it felt like the same Minsc we'd enjoyed previously. Sadly, no one other than Dynaheir ever spoke with him, which was surprising... he talks to a hamster, for God's sake. I'd think everyone would have something to say about that at some point.

Dynaheir: I really enjoyed being able to revisit characters like Dynaheir and Khalid who only existed in BG1, given that BG1 was pretty shallow all around in terms of NPC development. Dynaheir wasn't exactly an extremely deep character, but I appreciated being able to hear her speak her mind a bit more often (and I got to make fun of her way of speaking, which was a plus).

All in all, I feel like the party was hit-or-miss, but the overall quality is promising if not overwhelmingly positive. It seems like the amount of banter is reduced from BG2 but still vastly superior to BG1, at least with the party I was using.

For others who have completed the game, what were your thoughts on the party you ended up with? Any notable interactions or rivalries? Recommendations?

Comments

• The_ReverendThe_Reverend Member Posts: 17
    I'm just about to get started on the game myself, but your party setup is identical to what I was planning and it's great to hear that the characters worked out well.
  • redlineredline Member Posts: 296
    edited April 2016
    The more I read, the more I feel like I missed out on some banters at some point - I had Dynaheir all the way through and never heard the bit about her manner of speaking being related to spellcasting, for instance. Was that mentioned in a dialog with any particular other character?
  • Granas3Granas3 Member Posts: 41
    The Dynaheir tongue-twister thing is brought up by Glint, though it may just be her messing with him for making fun of her. It seems like they made a special effort with Dynaheir and Khalid since they know what happens next. I bet there's more than a few people who are regretting sending her into a pack of wolves now ;)
    Hmmmm, good to know. Definitely missed that one. I wonder what the banter conditions are, and if some intrepid modder could give us something like BG2Tweaks that increases the rate of intra-party dialog...?
  • Stargazer5781Stargazer5781 Member Posts: 183
    @Grimo88 Amen on the Safana comments. I had no idea what the complaints were about her. She's always been a chaotic neutral thief who used her sex appeal to manipulate men (including the PC) to get her what she wants. SoD just fleshed that out. The only reason I can think anyone would complain is if they thought Safana's flirting was genuine. In that case, if she were real, all the guys complaining about the changes would be Safana's victims.
  • sffrrromsffrrrom Member Posts: 60
    edited April 2016
    I have to say I agree with most everything said here, and I loved most of the fleshing out of older characters, especially Jaheira, Khalid, and Dynaheir, but I could not disagree more about Safana, especially the mini-romance track. About half of her content I felt was as you describe; the other half felt jarringly OOC, almost like she was a totally different person. My impression of Safana from BG1 and BGII cameo was that she was a manipulative seductress, i.e., willing to use her sexuality and sex to get what she wanted. Safana in Dragonspear, at least in the mini-romance, seemed almost borderline; they kept the manipulative part but emotionally she seems all over the place.

Edit: And that's not because of SJW or any of that political nonsense. Purely my opinion of how her character is written.
  • KogornKogorn Member Posts: 104
    So far the only new NPC I've tried is Corwin. I want to try the others, but I simply can't get myself to remove my remaining companions (atm, Minsc, Dynaheir, Safana, Viconia (who I'm romancing)).

My experience with Corwin has been awesome though. She comments on so many parts of the expansion.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    sffrrrom said:

I have to say I agree with most everything said here, and I loved most of the fleshing out of older characters, especially Jaheira, Khalid, and Dynaheir, but I could not disagree more about Safana, especially the mini-romance track. About half of her content I felt was as you describe; the other half felt jarringly OOC, almost like she was a totally different person. My impression of Safana from BG1 and BGII cameo was that she was a manipulative seductress, i.e., willing to use her sexuality and sex to get what she wanted. Safana in Dragonspear, at least in the mini-romance, seemed almost borderline; they kept the manipulative part but emotionally she seems all over the place

I'm fairly certain that was intentional. They wanted to show a bit of a vulnerable side to her, I think.
  • Grimo88Grimo88 Member Posts: 191

Grimo88 said:

Khalid is just great. He really comes into his own in this game, commanding a fortress full of beleaguered defenders. What I really love is that they never downplayed his timidity - he is as nervous as ever, but he manages to be a f-ing badass hero while he does it.

I'm glad you liked the other stuff you did too, but I'm *really* happy to read this. That's exactly the feel we were trying to get across for Khalid in Siege.
    I genuinely didn't know you wrote all these things, so I hope I am not coming across as sycophantic. Clearly, however, I just really dig your writing!
  • gimlet08gimlet08 Member Posts: 9
    I think the new NPCs were great!

Really liked Voghiln. I actually liked having a bard in the party who can take a hit, and think if I had him in my party for longer he could have had some great banter with the other NPCs.

Loved M'Khiin too. She had some good dialogue - hope she'll get to be in BG2EE and maybe lighten up a bit, poor girl.

Fingers crossed they'll get to BG2EE and get a nice quest each!
    Looking forward to trying Voghiln; I was a little sad I didn't have room for him this time.

I won't be heartbroken if some of the new NPCs don't make it into BG2 - having everybody you know show up in a different country by sheer happenstance is a little immersion-breaking for me - but I definitely want to see M'khiin show up again.
  • JolanJolan Member Posts: 12
    yea, Safana is great but you can't finish romance so **** it
  • proghead3proghead3 Member Posts: 65
    I liked SoD overall, but the new playable NPCs were a glaring weak spot for me. It seems that Beamdog is either incapable or unwilling to write a character that doesn't rely on some gimmick or another with which to build a personality. More on this point, the archetypes the EE-exclusive characters are generally too extreme. We saw that clearly with the stoic monk, capricious wild mage, and the foul blackguard in the first set of new NPCs. (Don't get me started on the vampire.) Sometimes a subtle touch is best. When I look at SoA, two of the most interesting characters are Keldorn and Anomen. These two are interesting because of well written dialogue and believable motivations. There is a place for more extreme characters ala Minsc or Jan, but, as a wise woman once said, "we must strive to maintain balance".

I will say that I did appreciate the treatment of original BG characters. Khalid, in particular, was done quite nicely.
  • ojthesimpsonojthesimpson Member Posts: 121
    edited April 2016
    what characters have the most banters. I fill some may not be so good to get because voice actors werent avail. honestly i dont care if it's voiced or not. I just like banters
    proghead3 said:

I liked SoD overall, but the new playable NPCs were a glaring weak spot for me. It seems that Beamdog is either incapable or unwilling to write a character that doesn't rely on some gimmick or another with which to build a personality. More on this point, the archetypes the EE-exclusive characters are generally too extreme. We saw that clearly with the stoic monk, capricious wild mage, and the foul blackguard in the first set of new NPCs. (Don't get me started on the vampire.) Sometimes a subtle touch is best. When I look at SoA, two of the most interesting characters are Keldorn and Anomen. These two are interesting because of well written dialogue and believable motivations. There is a place for more extreme characters ala Minsc or Jan, but, as a wise woman once said, "we must strive to maintain balance".

I will say that I did appreciate the treatment of original BG characters. Khalid, in particular, was done quite nicely.

I thought Corwin was pretty well done, though I didn't spend much time with any of the others. They had a pretty short span to work with so it would have been hard to be too subtle. In that respect I think the BGI/II EE companions are something of a missed opportunity but I can't say the same about Dragonspear. They were what I felt could have been added to say IWD - not a ton of depth, but what is there is pretty good (IMHO), and lots of good on-point interjections and banters.

sffrrrom said:

I have to say I agree with most everything said here, and I loved most of the fleshing out of older characters, especially Jaheira, Khalid, and Dynaheir, but I could not disagree more about Safana, especially the mini-romance track. About half of her content I felt was as you describe; the other half felt jarringly OOC, almost like she was a totally different person. My impression of Safana from BG1 and BGII cameo was that she was a manipulative seductress, i.e., willing to use her sexuality and sex to get what she wanted. Safana in Dragonspear, at least in the mini-romance, seemed almost borderline; they kept the manipulative part but emotionally she seems all over the place

I'm fairly certain that was intentional. They wanted to show a bit of a vulnerable side to her, I think.
    I agree that it was intentional, but I think it was a big intentional change to her character, and not for the better. Safana isn't supposed to have a vulnerable side, she's not supposed to push you away like Viconia. OG Safana would never push you away - she'd sleep with you as soon as she'd hooked you and then exploit you more and more (or if she genuinely liked you, maybe she just wouldn't exploit you as much). It just represents a genuine and significant change of her character to a totally different one, whereas with Jaheira or Khalid or any of the other original characters I don't feel that was the case.