Skip to content

Ho there, wench!

I think a problem people are having with the writing in the DLC might come from scenes like this where the only option you seem to have is be offended.
One of the characters I played was a Jester and in this instance I find it sort of disappointing there's no option to have some playful banter or flirting, that the only options you have are being upset.
Which is somewhat strange considering the setting with the use of the word 'wench', now given that this is an image I found and not something I've taken a screencap of myself the context is a little lost.
Is he calling your a woman or a prostitute?
Either way I don't think it's very fair that our choices don't allow us any sort of positive response to his calling.

Camus34MessiDreisTorinPhilhelmButtercheeseFinneousPJKrotosbooinyoureyes

Comments

• AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,295
    One other more joking dialogue options would be nice here.

However, I do not think this is half as prevalent as people claim it is and I suppose I would find enough examples like this in the original games. I will keep an eye out next time I play them.
  • LorvaylinLorvaylin Member Posts: 44
    This game OOOOOZES feminism its UNBEARABLE at times, nice find.
    TrudeauIsSantaCamus34Vargnatt
  • RawgrimRawgrim Member Posts: 621
    What if the player-character IS a wench?
    StradlinCamus34Krotos
  • LorvaylinLorvaylin Member Posts: 44
    Rawgrim said:

What if the player-character IS a wench?

Ohh go back to 1998 where you belong, it's 2016 don't you know! :wink:
    RawgrimSouthpaw
  • Mikey205Mikey205 Member Posts: 307
    What does he say to male PCs?
  • SharnSharn Member Posts: 188
    Not the best options for sure to respond with, but not much different when talking to Edwin in BG2 where your option are act like your stupid or an obedient lap dog.
    Grum
    I like how Pillars of Eternity did it. When you got extra options based on race, class, background or stats. Pretty cool.
    inethCamus34CrevsDaak
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    Agreed. You should be able to respond in kind, because it is quite possible to take that as a hilarious opener.

"Hoes are indeed here, there, and everywhere. I take it you're out of cash."
    "That's the sweetest thing I've heard since, well, maybe this morning. But he was better looking, I have to say."
    "Oh, I like forthright men. Especially with beards. And what's that hanging on the front of your helmet?"

It is really unfortunate to see how you're only given options of being offended in various ways.
    RawgrimMoradinArdul
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    edited April 2016
    That's definitely a pretty good example of poor writing. I'm not saying that they are all over SoD, but there are a few too many conversations where there is basically just one answer even though there are multiple dialogue options.
    OP is right, though. That is just 1 option. To be offended.
    VargnattPhilhelmArdulKrotos
  • InconnuInconnu Member Posts: 99
    I'm usually one to defend the writing and inclusiveness in this expansion, but yeah, this dialogue sucks. Never encountered it in my playthrough but there really needs to be other ways to respond to it.
    Rawgrim
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    edited April 2016
    The way I see this (and fiction is my job) is that whoever wrote this bit of dialogue has no empathy and very little understanding for other viewpoints/reactions than their own. This is a particularly big fault, it has to be said.

Stephen King's novel Misery is not a particularly brilliant book, but it should be mandatory reading for anyone wanting to write fiction themselves. King handles his insane main character quite beautifully. Nowhere does the narration point out that this woman is completely over the hill, kookoo to the hilt, reader beware: she's insane. No. King is perfectly capable of describing the crazy woman's world from the inside, and in that world, the woman is not insane at all. According to her, she's a good person. This is much, much more interesting and humane than simply pointing out: look here, this is a crazy woman.

It seems to me that SoD contains too much stuff like this: writing where the right and wrong is spelled out so clearly that fun and humanity suffer.
    Camus34Awong124Philhelm
  • DreisDreis Member Posts: 34
    I have to agree with the OP, many of the conversations have led to me selecting the less offensive option as the writing either wants me to be a complete ass or some divine pompous saviour. There is little to no inbetween.
  • FrancoisFrancois Member Posts: 452
    edited April 2016

Is he calling your a woman or a prostitute?

Wench is just an archaic word for a young women. It's not a derogatory word in itself. If it's an insult at all it's more about the age and importance of the person rather than their gender, since it's usually applied to a servant or barmaid. Even if the hero can only be offended it would be good to have some witty counter insult.
    BelfaldurnikAwong124
  • BelfaldurnikBelfaldurnik Member Posts: 212
    Wench has several meanings in every dictionary. Take your pick. I can adapt to the worlds these role-playing games take place it and the people in these worlds, too.
  • FrancoisFrancois Member Posts: 452
    This line reminds me of an other encounter. Must be something in the beard.

''Ho there, wench! Stay thy course a moment to indulge an old man.''
    SirBatince
  • fkirenicusfkirenicus Member Posts: 331
    edited April 2016
    Option(s 4 and) 5 show(s) just what jovial and amiable creatures SJWs can be.
    Post edited by fkirenicus on
  • RodyRody Member Posts: 22
    If this is true, it is just sad.

There are six options, but they are all the same...... How can I role play different personalities with that??

Please tell me these occurrences are the exception and not the norm in the DLC...
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Mirandel said:

Guess we will never see another Bishop in any game ... Too bad.

Bishop: "If I wanted a wench I'd go to the local brothel."

PC:"Say hello to your mother while you're there."

Bishop:"Hah!"

Name sounds familiar... was he that kinda scummy Ranger in Neverwinter Nights 2? Never really used him, not seen the conversations/banter.

Name sounds familiar... was he that kinda scummy Ranger in Neverwinter Nights 2? Never really used him, not seen the conversations/banter.

Yep.

SilverstarCrevsDaak
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    It is indeed a character from NWN2. Granted, it's Obsidian and they had less problem with offensive ... anything, granted, that ranger was repulsive for many reasons, but he was really well written and not only you had the possibility to put him on place, but he could take a blow. Conversations felt quite natural.
    SilverstarEnvygames
  • EnvygamesEnvygames Member Posts: 57
    @GhavGrim : Consistency isnt SoDs Strong Point i would argue :)
    FlashburnGhavGrim
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    edited April 2016
    So....should the hero of Baldur's Gate be glad to be called a wench by some random idiot? From Merriam Webster:

Full Definition of wench

a young woman; especially : a young woman who is a servant

a : a young woman : girl
    b : a female servant

: a lewd woman : prostitute

So now we're clear what we're talking about. It would be like if he called a male CHARNAME "boy" or something similarly dismissive. Should we be like, "Thanks!" Also, this is the modern definition of "wench." If you look up archaic or middle-english definitions, it almost exclusively means "prostitute."

molehill ----------> mountain
  • Glam_VrockGlam_Vrock Member Posts: 277
    Not that it's ever a bad idea to give the player more options, but it doesn't take much imagination to read some of those responses in a playful tone rather than an angry one.
    Ayiekie
    edited April 2016
    Well, not quite.
    http://www.dictionary.com/browse/wench

Granted, they could have avoided it all by using "lad/lass" instead.