Skip to content

Imagine an "alternate 'evil' beginning" for BG2

SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
One of the biggest complaints about BG2 that is consistently expressed on this forum is the lack of transition between BG1 and BG2 - BG2 assumes that you finished the first game with a predominantly "good" party, and based on Minsc's dialogue, seems to even imply that you were a "good" character in BG1.

But what if BG2 had allowed the option for choosing an "evil" beginning, or at least, auto adjusted the beginning to suit an evil aligned PC? I know there's about a 0.00000000000000000000000000000001% chance of this being done in BG2:EE, but we can always pretend, can't we? :-)

I imagine...

You awaken in a cell. In the distance, sounds of combat can be heard. The sounds rattle around in your aching head like thunderbolts.

Suddenly, the door to your cell is thrown open, and the figure of a large Amazonian woman stands before you.

"Get up, you lazy b@$tard!" she yells, then sneers, "Men are pathetic!"

The woman is SHAR-TEEL! She is currently, say, a level 8 or 9 thief, after having been dual classed from a fighter at level 6. She has extra proficiency points in long sword and/or long bow.

"Shar... Teel..." you weakly mumble. "What's going on?"

"We've been trapped by some creep that has been doing tests and torturing us," she says. "But don't worry about me... I don't have time to bleed."

"We won't get far on our own," you mutter. "Is there anyone here that can help us?"

Shar-Teel replies, "KAIGAN and XAN are in cells to the east of here, sorta like yours."

Shar-Teel then drags you to your feet, and says, "Now stay by me! Remember: If it bleeds, I can kill it."

You think to yourself, "Well, I guess you ain't killing that golem in the other room, them..." ;-)

Thoughts?

Comments

• MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    edited September 2012
    Interesting topic. While I can understand having (Chaotic Evil) Shar-Teel and (Lawful Evil) Kagain at the beginning, why (Lawful Neutral) Xan?
  • CloutierCloutier Member Posts: 228
    Good dialogue writing!
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    edited September 2012
    @Mortianna Either he meant to write Xzar (likely) or Xan is the neutral throw-in to your otherwise evil party, like Jaheira was (less likely).
  • HeavylineHeavyline Member Posts: 108
    I'd expect Xzar to be in that cell where Jaheira is... as for Khalid; his corpse is replaced with Montaron's corpse? Xzar's reaction seeing Montaron would be rather hilarious as always; "Montaron... I never loved you!"
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    I doubt Shar-Teel would ever say the word 'sorta'. That is painful to imagine her saying.

Either way you're suggesting no Imoen, I don't think it's possible without Imoen. It doesn't have to assume you brought anyone, but Imoen is a necessity.

She doesn't even have to of been in your party, he wants her even if you left early.
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    edited September 2012
    OP's scene, shar teel in a cage instead, and imoen comes up to your cage with a dagger in her hand.

Imoen: I can't believe you left me for dead back in the sword coast. I should kill you where you stand, but i'd never get out of this place alone.

PC: I told you from the start, if you slowed me down, i'd leave you where you fell. Now hurry up and open the cage and try not to die again. *Looks over at Shar-teel in her cage.* I kept asking her to cage dance for me but she's such an uptight ***ch. This place is quite boring.

Imoen: *still holding the dagger in her hand, but watching you closely as she opens the cage* You're not actually going to free these madmen are you? *She looks around, S-T growling, Tiax explaining to a rat in his cage why he rules the rat, and xzar chewing on his own fist and telling it that it's been a bad boy.* I think this place has enough crazy without them.

PC: Just shut up and open the cages, i don't plan to be here all day. *walks over to shar-teel's cage, and smiles at her.* So, you wouldn't dance for me, why should i let you out?

anyways, i could go on, but i see it more like that. As far as saving imoen, well, the evil option has always been that you're chasing immy or jon, so the rest could remain mostly unchanged. :)
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    edited September 2012
    Mortianna said:

Interesting topic. While I can understand having (Chaotic Evil) Shar-Teel and (Lawful Evil) Kagain at the beginning, why (Lawful Neutral) Xan?

@Mortianna Either he meant to write Xzar (likely) or Xan is the neutral throw-in to your otherwise evil party, like Jaheira was (less likely).

I actually did mean Xan, simply because I was trying to think of characters who weren't already used elsewhere in the game (such as Xzar with the Harper's Quest). Besides, I thought Xan's dour personality might fit in with an evil party.

I agree, it would probably make more sense to have Xzar in there instead, find Montaron's body, break down hysterically weeping, and then remember, "Wait, I never loved you!"

I also thought of putting Eldoth in there, then find Skie's body and say, "Awwwww, too bad!"

Or perhaps, vice versa: Skie finds Eldoth's body and wails, "Eldoth! You can't die, Eldoth!"

...but I figured that people would quickly lose interest in my scenario if it included Skie and/or Eldoth. ;-)
  • KosonKoson Member Posts: 284
    I wouldn't mind seeing an alternate evil party BG2 beginning, the canon party made little sense for an evil playthrough of BG.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Yep. Regardless of alignment, you get the same result.
  • jhart1018jhart1018 Member Posts: 909
    I don't generally play evil characters, but I like this idea a lot. It'd make way more sense to transition into BG2 with the party you had at the end of BG, and the dialogue @Bjjork has for Imoen is spot on. Since Irenicus tells you he can "unlock your full potential," that might be motivation enough to go after him in Spellhold. I also always wondered how the PC and party got nabbed by Irenicus's guys.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    It'd be good to put Kagain and Shar-Teel's fates in the opening, I agree with that.
    Problem is, by having with you from start Kaigan, Shar-Teel (dualled to thief or not), Xan and maybe Imoen, unless Charname is a cleric/druid you'd have no healer, and I don't think you could survive Chateau Irenicus without a healing class in the group.
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    Yus, imagine it.

Now forget it.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    It is sad that nothing like this shall ever be without mods.

...but I figured that people would quickly lose interest in my scenario if it included Skie and/or Eldoth. ;-)

Hell no! Although judging from the mutilation of Dynaheir and Khalid ... the weaker of the pairing is normally done for. Bye Eldoth.

Hell, replace Imoen with Skie and you have your new half-sister Bhall spawn!

As she is the daughter of Entar Silvershield for sure, in order for her to be Bhaalspawn the Lord of Murder would have had to take on a human female form and marry the BG duke. Somewhat unlikely ;).
  • MatteoTuriniMatteoTurini Member Posts: 105
    edited September 2012
    Koson said:

Problem is, by having with you from start Kaigan, Shar-Teel (dualled to thief or not), Xan and maybe Imoen, unless Charname is a cleric/druid you'd have no healer, and I don't think you could survive Chateau Irenicus without a healing class in the group.

Branwen! Not evil, ok, but still neutral like Xan or Jaheira, and surely fighty.

... Or Tiax. [Oh, no, Spellhold, forgot about that.]
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    You know, this could be interesting.

I like where a lot of people have taken this.

Imoen still opens your cage. She's too integral to the overall plot of the game, and people forget despite being Neutral Good, she'll never quit your party due to low reputation. I believe it was that way even in BG1. She's your best friend regardless of how much of a twerp you are toward her and how much of a sadistic bastard you decide to be.

Replace Minsc with Shar-Teel. She'd have a more coherent rage-induced cage breaking, but you wouldn't even really need to alter the overall chain of events that lead to freeing her.

The trickier thing is replacing Jaheira. Plot-wise, I could see Xzar being here to "weep" over a dead Montaron, but you'd need a divine spellcaster. All of the evil divine spellcasters are already represented in BG2, though. Tiax in Spellhold, Viconia obvious is her own returning NPC... Even Faldorn is vital to the Druid Grove quests. Maybe Xzar will be a dual-classed Necromancer/Cleric now, with stats boosted to allow this change. Level 7 Necro, level 8 Cleric. It'd be interesting at the very least. Or you could have Branwen. They could even boost Branwen's strength to 17 like they boosted Jaheira's dexterity and she'd fall in line with the better stats everyone in BG2 has.
    Koson said:

As she is the daughter of Entar Silvershield for sure, in order for her to be Bhaalspawn the Lord of Murder would have had to take on a human female form and marry the BG duke. Somewhat unlikely ;).
    She's adopted! Obviously.
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    I think Branwen would fit perfectly as your Chaotic Nuetral healer, THAT and she's pretty Amazonian much like Shar-Teel is. You could still, in theory, have Jaheira there and everything would still make sense from a lore standpoint, considering that most people at least picked them up because you have a connection to Khalid and Jaheira, no matter WHAT your alignments are.

I also think this should be done for neutral parties as well. True enough that taking Minsc with you would make some sense, and it's actually kind of odd to know that any fighter classes in the game ACTUALLY belong to either good or evil people. There aren't any Neutral fighters in BG1...

Now I think there needs to be A neutral fighter type there.... hmmm....
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    To be honest, I think there should be some suspension of disbelief.
    Furthermore, there's no reason why you can't imagine that some events occurred between BG1 and BG2. You don't have to be apprehended by Irenicus immediately after slaying Sarevok. Your party may well have went in several directions at some point, and you ended up with the 5 that are assumed to be in your party at the beginning of BG2. Jaheira seems to acknowledge that she travelled with you and Viconia both at one point, expressing an opinion about the Cleric's attitude before you even save her from the fanatics. *shrug*
    People shouldn't be throwing expectations of versatility upon a game that was made at the turn of the century. 'Shaping the world' and consequence of decision are both relatively new concepts to RPG games, ie. Fable, DA:O, Mass Effect
  • drawnacroldrawnacrol Member Posts: 253
    Man that would be an awesome option. You would have to have Imoen since she's major to the plot with Irenicus & Bodhi but having an alternative evil opening would really ad another side to the game.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Evil people suck. I'm glad they don't get love from the gamewriters.

< ducks the barrage of rotten tomatoes and bananas thrown by this crowd >
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    Xavioria said:

I think Branwen would fit perfectly as your Chaotic Nuetral healer, THAT and she's pretty Amazonian much like Shar-Teel is. You could still, in theory, have Jaheira there and everything would still make sense from a lore standpoint, considering that most people at least picked them up because you have a connection to Khalid and Jaheira, no matter WHAT your alignments are.

I also think this should be done for neutral parties as well. True enough that taking Minsc with you would make some sense, and it's actually kind of odd to know that any fighter classes in the game ACTUALLY belong to either good or evil people. There aren't any Neutral fighters in BG1...

Now I think there needs to be A neutral fighter type there.... hmmm....

Now that I think about it, Branwen would be redundant. One of the things they wanted to do with BG2's NPCs is each guy was drastically different from each other. Despite both being rangers, Valygar and Minsc play extremely different for example.

Branwen would just be outclassed. Without significant changes to her stats, extra ability or something, she'd be fourth tier cleric. I know people dislike Anomen from a character standpoint but he's an amazing NPC in combat. Viconia would be a better raw cleric. Jaheira is pretty amazing with a sling and functions quite well in that fighter/druid role. And then Aerie is simply amazing as is any cleric/mage multi-class.
  • AnOnionAnOnion Member Posts: 30
    Alignment-based intros would add a LOT to the game.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    edited September 2012

Koson said:

She's adopted! Obviously.

In all seriousness, I think that would've been a very good idea.

Perhaps Entar Silvershield knew Skie was a Bhaalspawn, and adopted, raised, and sheltered her in much the same way Gorion did with the PC. That would coincide with the way Entar is actually described as sheltering her in the game, and also Skie's yearning to get away and see the outside world in a similar way as the PC did while in Candlekeep. You could even throw in an additional subplot about Eldoth actually knowing all along that Skie is a Bhaalspawn, and perhaps the real reason he is trying to seduce and kidnap her is to unlock that power.

Alternatively, you could make Shar-Teel the Bhaalspawn sister, and perhaps her father secretly knew this and this was the reason he had abandoned her, so that she would be as far away from Sarevok as possible when he began his quest to kill other Bhaalspawn.

Furthermore, there's no reason why you can't imagine that some events occurred between BG1 and BG2. You don't have to be apprehended by Irenicus immediately after slaying Sarevok. Your party may well have went in several directions at some point, and you ended up with the 5 that are assumed to be in your party at the beginning of BG2. Jaheira seems to acknowledge that she travelled with you and Viconia both at one point, expressing an opinion about the Cleric's attitude before you even save her from the fanatics.

It's true that the game seems to imply that other NPCs were in your party at other times, but the opening movie indicates that you were mugged while leaving BG shortly after killing Sarevok - meaning that there was little, if any, time for other events to happen in between the two games.

Besides, I usually antagonize Minsc into attacking me as soon as I meet him, and then kill him - hence, ANY sequel beginning in which I am somehow on friendly terms with Minsc is frustrating.
  • HertzHertz Member Posts: 109
    edited September 2012
    A true alternate evil beginning would be to call up Irenicus and offer to sell him Imoen. Then you go out the gate and help him take out the Cowled Wizards.

Then you and Irenicus open a Jamba Juice.
  • neleotheszeneleothesze Member Posts: 231
    edited September 2012
    This would make such a great addition to the game. But why just evil. Neutral parties should get some love too!

I think as a cleric, Branwen fits both evil and neutral parties since she is a priestess to the god of war and may not care about being in conflict with the local authorities.

Evil:
    Imoen opens the door
    Top Cages: Shar-Teel/Kagain and Branwen / Xzar dualed to Cleric ( of Cyric )

Neutral:
    Imoen opens the door
    Top Cages: Kivan/Safana and Branwen / Xan (an exception Cleric/Mage like Aerie.. hmm... which would make her redundant :-??) (He'd make a perfect Cleric of Kelemvor with his attitude about the death)

Hell, even a good party would look better with

Imoen opening the door
    Dynaheir alive (Minsc dead) [Dynaheir is the more moderate version of Jaheira in terms of bossiness]
    Yeslick [Yeslick is the more moderate version of Minsc in terms of ...wits]

Sadly I don't think this is going to happen. The best we can probably hope for is that Dorn will take the place of Minsc if an Evil character is created and even this is just wishful thinking. :(
    Post edited by neleothesze on
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    @recklessheart I don't think it's JUST the fact that people want more evil NPCs with them at the beginning of BG2 or whathave you, but also the continuity is terrible for people who either killed Minsc or never met him. Jaheira and Khalid MIGHT be of a somewhat different story, but it's still a similar thing there as well. I personally can't imagine at least part of BG2 without Jaheira, but then again, there are those that just left her there with Irenicus.

@sandmanCCL having more choices in any game is redundant when putting it that way. "Why have Branwen when Viconia is there?" Maybe because I would rather use Branwen? in BG1 for instance, you have a choice between Imoen, Skie, or Safana. Aside from either of them being found late or early, they're all pretty much the same character when you take away the personality. Maybe the stats are slightly off, but are those small numbers really making that big of a difference? Part of BG1 that was great that BG2 was lacking, was that essence of being able to choose your party... as opposed to only getting one theif who could actually level up in BG2.

to top this off, EVERY NPC you meet in BG2, it is implied you met them or traveled with them at one point or another. Tiax, Xzar, Gharrik, Coran, Safana, Quayle, and Ajantis. I might be missing a few, but the fact is, that you can either claim you knew them or claim you didn't, but some party members might remember them. It's actually kind of screwed up that old favorites die in the second game just by being there or close to you.

To finish this off, you really have to think about starting a new BG2 game in the first place, and really think on whether or not an Evil or even Neutral PC would have traveled with someone like Minsc, AT ALL during their time in the sword coast, or even Jaheira. If I personally played evil, I might have traveled with Shar-Teel or Kagain instead of Minsc, so in those events, him being there is just silly and makes little sense.
  • MatteoTuriniMatteoTurini Member Posts: 105
    edited September 2012
    Actually, what are the evil NPCs in BG2? Edwin, Korgan, Viconia...? Sarevok, but just in ToB, and...? Just three freaking characters? That's why I always felt that I couldn't really play an evil PC...

***SPOILERS***
    Not that neutrals are any better, with only 5 NPCs, one of which may change alignment, and one other will die at some point...
    ***END SPOILERS***

Even good parties, with only 7 characters, aren't that free to choose, actually.

Though I usually like that every character has their deep story in BG2, sometimes having so few NPCs is a bit frustrating, compared to BG1. (But I also liked the idea, in BG1, of sometimes just picking up a random character with no particular missions attatched, like Shar-Tel, Imoen, Kivan or Branwen.)