Skip to content

SoD and Baldur's Gate II

Hello guys and gals!
First of all, this is my first thread on these forums, so....hello! :)

My questions are:
How does Siege of Dragonspear relate to Baldur's Gate II?

Are there any mentions in BGII about the events in this expansion?

What happens with these new NPC companions in BGII? Will they be available to join my merry band in that game?

Is BGII going to keep the original canon (regarding companions), or will my actions towards them in BGI and SoD have any consequence?

Thanks in advance, and sorry if I'm asking silly questions... ;)
Illustair

Comments

• shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    As far as I've been able to tell from a casual glance, no references to SoD have been added to BG2 beyond what already existed (Dennaton calling you the Victor of the Dragonspear Crusade, and dialogues between Neera/Rasaad and Jaheira about Bridgefort and Khalid). You can import over a few more items, but that's about it.

The devs have said that while they don't currently plan to add M'Khiin, Corwin, Glint or Voghiln to BG2, they may reconsider if the characters prove popular (not sure how something like that would be measured...)
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    Not a silly question at all :O

I haven't gotten far in my playthrough of the current version of BG2 yet, but from what I have seen there are no story additions in regards to SoD at all in it which in all honesty makes it rather jarring at times :(
    So no differences in romances (looking at you, Rasaad), interactions or anything. It's as if SoD never happened (which in regard to some plot points is a HUGE oversight in my book >:( ).

As things are now, none of the SoD companions have been added to BG2, though apparently it's not out of the question that there might be additions at some point to the future.

So, if you do plan on playing SoD and BG2 back to back, I'd personally suggest you let BG2 rest for now and wait for future updates.

Hope that helps!
  • aleks922aleks922 Member Posts: 30
    Thanks for the info!

I guess I should wait a bit for the post-release dust to settle.
    Hopefully we'll get to see some goodies for BGII in the near future.

I'm a simply guy.
    Some fluff regarding the past events would be enough.
    And a bit of new items transfered.
    And those new companions...
    Nevermind :D
    Buttercheese
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    I am with you on that one ;)
    So what are your thoughts on the new companions anyway, huh ~ ;)
    aleks922
  • aleks922aleks922 Member Posts: 30
    At the moment, Voghlin and Corwin are standard in my team. I love their banter, as well as their personalities. They fit greatly in my team so far.
    Didn't spend much time with the other companions, but my first impressions are very positive.
    I'll be honest, these companions feel more interesting than those added in the Enhanced Edition. In my humble opinion, of course.

So....yeah, thoughts are overly positive. :)
    ButtercheeseIthual[Deleted User]
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    Yes, the devs have said they'd consider adding the new companions to BG2EE if Dragonspear sales are strong enough and the new companions prove popular enough. Even better would be for them to add spoken lines for Imoen in the second half of Shadows of Amn (letting her join the party at that point was a last-minute decision so there wasn't time to give her many lines in which she would respond to events).
    [Deleted User]
  • KrotosKrotos Member Posts: 156
    I believe that Beamdog might be constrained by their contract with Wizards to do any significant changes to BG2. However, if SoD proves to be successful, they might get some more breathing room and change a thing or two in there.
  • RawgrimRawgrim Member Posts: 621
    The Viconia romance has to be re-written. The romance starts in BG2. But I hear you can romance here in SoD too. So...without some editing there, thing would look weird.
  • IthualIthual Member Posts: 136
    From my understanding, the Viconia romance is more of a blosoming friendship in SoD and so actually compliments BG2
    illathid
  • Mikey205Mikey205 Member Posts: 307
    This might be best placed for modders to work on. Would be awesome to have a mod that enriches BG2 with this kind of stuff like bg1 npc project.
    edited April 2016
    And yet she barely recognize the player character when they first meet in BG2....

If I remember correctly she mentions that the PC was the one who saved her from the mercenary in BG1. Nothing in her early conversations with the PC indicates any hint of former friendship.

Bg2 needs a lot of editing for it to fit. She shouldn't have been in SoD at all, really. Creates plotholes.
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    I highly doubt that Beamdog is done with Baldur's Gate – they've frequently said that they want to leave the series in good shape, so I'm sure that includes patching a few inconsistencies. Who knows: if the game does well and WotC is pleased with the content, then maybe some of the creative/licensing restrictions will be loosened in certain areas.
    I saw that more as meaning engine updates though i would love more content updates to come. Would love an expansion that bridges SoA with ToB or NPCs being added. Even a new dungeon would be a very cool addition.
    [Deleted User]
    Purudaya said:

I highly doubt that Beamdog is done with Baldur's Gate – they've frequently said that they want to leave the series in good shape, so I'm sure that includes patching a few inconsistencies. Who knows: if the game does well and WotC is pleased with the content, then maybe some of the creative/licensing restrictions will be loosened in certain areas.

Trust me WOTC need a solid lift. They are sinking. They are even letting fans create official modules for them now.
    Hopefully this will mean its easier for Beamdog to make more stuff. Once done with BG id be interested in a 5ed game. Havent been any proper ones since nwn2 (I think partly cus of 4ed not being received well).
  • OrangemooseOrangemoose Member Posts: 83
    shawne said:

The devs have said that while they don't currently plan to add M'Khiin, Corwin, Glint or Voghiln to BG2, they may reconsider if the characters prove popular (not sure how something like that would be measured...)

I really hope they at least add M'Khiin.
    I don't really want to play as a Shaman but I do want to try one out in the later stages of the game but don't really like playing with blank pcs.
    Plus having a Goblin in the party seems cool.
    Need less humans/elves in the game anyway.
    BG2 needs more pure classed characters. So many dual\multiclassed characters in it.