Skip to content

Beamdog's Official Statement (4-6-2016)

Comments

• BillyBroBillyBro Member Posts: 62
    She wasn't subjected to any kind of physical pain. Why is her story related to black lives matters?
  • mzacharymzachary Member Posts: 106
    Oh quite simple because that movement is a tad broader than that, being also about racial profiling and police brutality. Which this case rather well showcases, except of course if one finds this kind of treatment a normal thing to do to a woman who simply danced along the music on the radio while standing still... then again finding such a thing normal would be part of the problem
  • Baeloth_JnrBaeloth_Jnr Member Posts: 86
    edited April 2016
    mzachary said:

BillyBro said:

mzachary said:

Not at all, you see it is true that all lives should matter, but given that weird situations keep happening to black people such as this woman getting arrested and institutionalized simply because the police would not believe she was a banker owning a BMW. And since that does not really happen as much to white or asian people, we are focusing on black lives mattering for a moment.

It's good to drive responsibly. Standing up and dancing at a red light is not proper, responsible use of a vehicle.
    Well first of all dear @BillyBro when you are standing still at a red light, you are not actually driving, you are standing still also known as a state... where in you are not actually in motion.... See I am repeating it for you so that there is no misunderstanding that when you are standing s.t.i.l.l., you are not in fact d.r.i.v.i.n.g.

It is after all important to know the difference of being in a car and in motion a.k.a. driving and when you are not in motion and standing still. And I am putting some emphasis on this, because you seem to proclaim a rather silly notion that when you are standing still, it would be irresponsible to dance... while you are standing still...

Yes it is not absurd at all to state that it is reasonable to arrest someone for dancing in a car while standing still, because cleeeeeeearly it is very dangerous driving to dance while standing still
    BillyBro said:

A cop's duty is hard, subjected to unjust half truths like your post every day for decades.

Well in that case #blacklivesmatter is important especially because there are people who make weird excuses for the mistreatment of black people, like it is 'unresponsible' use of a vehicle to dance when you are standing still.
    Actually, it is not so clear cut as you suppose, because if you are in a car at traffic lights that can still mean "driving," the car being in motion is not required.
    For example, in Pinner v Everett Lords Reid and Guest said that someone who got out of his car to buy a paper while held up in a traffic jam would still be driving.
    EDIT: another example is using a mobile phone at traffic lights is still illegal because it is considered to be driving.
  • BladeDancerBladeDancer Member Posts: 477
    I'm glad they are learning from the criticism instead of getting depressed by it. Criticism can hit you hard if you let it. But as I learned from a certain movie, "It ain't about how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward." That's a very important life lesson I learned from that movie.
  • inethineth Member Posts: 707
    SionIV said:

Who do you think drives the demand for sweat shops and chinese mega factories with suicide nets?

Sweatshops don't exist just because there's a demand for them from overseas.

They exist because things are so shitty in those places, that even sweatshop working conditions are a step up from the alternative for a good part of the local working population - otherwise they'd choose the alternative.

And the reasons why things are so bad there in the first place, tend to have a lot more to do with civil wars, religious extremism, corrupt governments, lack of robust property laws, etc. than with "Western imperialism".
    SionIV said:

But white people conquered most of the world, so by definition they sort of are. Maybe going back a few centuries you could blame the Ottomans, or the Mongols, or someone... but by and large European colonists/imperialists are responsible for the global zeitgeist.

You're kinda letting off the Arabs easy, there. They started out as nomadic tribes in a small southern part of the Arabian Peninsula, then (with rise of Islam) conquered a large chunk of the world in a series of imperialist wars of aggression, and continue to dominate those territories today.

They also practiced large-scale slavery and slave trade before, during and after White people did it. (Unless you count the Romans as White, which they really weren't.)

Just sayin' ;)
  • Abdel_AdrianAbdel_Adrian Member Posts: 430
    @Roseweave Did....did you really just link a tumblr to prove your point?
    White, black, yellow, red - these are skin colors, and not even great descriptors of them.
    American, Canadian, Mexican, Italian, French - these are nationalities
    African-American, Oriental, Hispanic, and yes, Caucasian are ethnicities.

I can use Wikipedia too, I am well aware that Caucasians come from the Caucasus region. But hey, you obviously think that if I make one correct point but exclude a few others, I'm somehow less correct, so let's see EVERY definition Caucasian that could apply:

"Anything from the Caucasus region
    Peoples of the Caucasus, humans from the Caucasus region
    Languages of the Caucasus, languages spoken in the Caucasus region
    Caucasian race, one of three racial classifications of human beings used in racial typology
    Dené–Caucasian languages
    Caucasian is sometimes used to refer to:
    White people in general
    White American, specifically in American English
    Non-Hispanic whites, sometimes in American English"

But wait, I thought Caucasians were white people of European origin, not the Caucasus region!?
    Well....guess where that region is, the border of Europe and Asia.
  • GozetaGozeta Member Posts: 105
    I don't get all the commotion for the game. I just ended up playing it because I saw it available on steam. I'm having a blast but then I get an instant message from a friend, asking me how I am liking the buggy game. I was like, "What bugs?" It's a nice graphic update, UI updated and more story expanded on a classic. What is there not to love? Good game to the Writers and Devs.
    The black lives matter movement is pushed by perceived threats and bad influence of rap music more than anything else. Extreme liberals often speak how white on white crime is never reported on TV news, and same for black on black crime. But when there's white on black crime, or black on white, it has more news coverage than it deserves.

These same people suddenly forget that fact and starts the blacklivesmatter movement, based on a few exceptions ( and boy can you find any kind of story among a 300 million strong population ) and years of brainwashing by the ultra black rap music still rapping about slavery centuries later.

Where are the fathers? They should be the no 1 influence, not rap music that teaches them to act like thugs, commit small time crime, and that white people are the enemy.
  • FoggyFoggy Member Posts: 297
    This thread just keeps on delivering.
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    @BillyBro

I agree about that evil rap music. Well observed. I am also really worried about all those violent computer games out there...
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    @BillyBro: Could you explain what you mean by "ultra black rap music"? Some examples would be great.
    joluv said:

@BillyBro: Could you explain what you mean by "ultra black rap music"? Some examples would be great.

• GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Funny how this forum was about games. Then gamergate invaded and won't stop talking about race or gender. It's ironic that they fail about shoving an agenda down their throats but they won't stop doing it to us.
  • BillyH666BillyH666 Member Posts: 96
    Gosh, I'm sorry, I thought this was a thread about Beamdog's Official Statement. Apparently, it's actually a thread about harsh racial conflict and ultra rap. I'd say we need a thread janitor AI, but I think the stress would turn it into Skynet.
    Grum said:

Funny how this forum was about games. Then gamergate invaded and won't stop talking about race or gender. It's ironic that they fail about shoving an agenda down their throats but they won't stop doing it to us.

BillyH666 said:

Gosh, I'm sorry, I thought this was a thread about Beamdog's Official Statement. Apparently, it's actually a thread about harsh racial conflict and ultra rap. I'd say we need a thread janitor AI, but I think the stress would turn it into Skynet.

Neither of you are helping, let's get back on topic and keep the toxic vitriol to the politics thread.
    I for one am enjoying SoD, you guys enjoying SoD?
    I sure wish they got Jaheira's voice actress though, but I get it.
    edited April 2016
    Grum said:

Oh, it's not just gamergate, it's those other guys too. It's amazing how hard it is for all these people to resist the battlefield mentality. It's like they can't just focus on the topic at hand, they say they will, but one post later it's back to all this stuff.

edited April 2016

Grum said:

BillyH666 said:

Neither of you are helping, let's get back on topic and keep the toxic vitriol to the politics thread.
    I for one am enjoying SoD, you guys enjoying SoD?
    I sure wish they got Jaheira's voice actress though, but I get it.
    I started a thread on Jaheira actually, apparently someones working on mod because the new soundfiles are still in the game. I understand their choice and think they left the files in because they knew someone would want a mod, which I like, because judging by Heidi's IMDB, she might have retired around 2002-2003. And you're right, I wasn't helping, I apologize. On SoD, it's a fine game, a bit buggy, but that's games nowadays

@BillyBro @joluv Both of you please just stop. Move to the politics thread, this thread is back on topic.

How do you guys like the new sprite circles? I find myself getting stuck on random things, creatures, or nothing kind of often and it's a little frustrating.
    @Abdel_Adrian: Dude, I just asked what another poster meant and then pointed out that he answered with a link to a site whose title is "Tightrope Records - Tightrope Records--White Power--White Pride--KKK--Ku Klux Klan--Skinhead--Nazi--Shirts." I'm not trying to get into fine ideological points on this thread, but I hope we can all agree that that's not cool.
    Actually, I take my video back. This guy we see on the first 7 seconds might be a transgender woman.
    joluv said:

@Abdel_Adrian: Dude, I just asked what another poster meant and then pointed out that he answered with a link to a site whose title is "Tightrope Records - Tightrope Records--White Power--White Pride--KKK--Ku Klux Klan--Skinhead--Nazi--Shirts." I'm not trying to get into fine ideological points on this thread, but I hope we can all agree that that's not cool.

It's irrelevant, get on the politics thread, talk about it there. I clicked the link too, I saw, it doesn't deserve a response and it doesn't belong here.

I for one am really glad Beamdog is listening to feedback and came out with statement on what they plan to fix, I have a lot of respect for them. I'm enjoying SoD and I'm confident it will only get better with the expanded writing and bug fixes. I haven't tried Corwin yet, but I hear that pretty much regardless of what you say to her, she tries to sleep with you quickly; anyone get that impression from her?
  • RoseweaveRoseweave Member Posts: 101

@Roseweave Did....did you really just link a tumblr to prove your point?
    White, black, yellow, red - these are skin colors, and not even great descriptors of them.
    American, Canadian, Mexican, Italian, French - these are nationalities
    African-American, Oriental, Hispanic, and yes, Caucasian are ethnicities.

I can use Wikipedia too, I am well aware that Caucasians come from the Caucasus region. But hey, you obviously think that if I make one correct point but exclude a few others, I'm somehow less correct, so let's see EVERY definition Caucasian that could apply:

"Anything from the Caucasus region
    Peoples of the Caucasus, humans from the Caucasus region
    Languages of the Caucasus, languages spoken in the Caucasus region
    Caucasian race, one of three racial classifications of human beings used in racial typology
    Dené–Caucasian languages
    Caucasian is sometimes used to refer to:
    White people in general
    White American, specifically in American English
    Non-Hispanic whites, sometimes in American English"

But wait, I thought Caucasians were white people of European origin, not the Caucasus region!?
    Well....guess where that region is, the border of Europe and Asia.

The tumblr is a collection of pictures and articles about Caucasian culture, no more, no less. The fact that you have that reaction as soon as you see a tumblr URL is pretty telling.

The point is the distinctions of "Caucasian" and "Aryan" are wrong and appropriate other existing cultural identifiers. Which in turn demonstrates there's no absolute unifying identity of western, white, european peoples.
    edited April 2016

joluv said:

It's irrelevant, get on the politics thread, talk about it there. I clicked the link too, I saw, it doesn't deserve a response and it doesn't belong here.

I for one am really glad Beamdog is listening to feedback and came out with statement on what they plan to fix, I have a lot of respect for them. I'm enjoying SoD and I'm confident it will only get better with the expanded writing and bug fixes. I haven't tried Corwin yet, but I hear that pretty much regardless of what you say to her, she tries to sleep with you quickly; anyone get that impression from her?
    The romance dialogue options for Corwin seem to be a bit... amorous (if you pick friendsship dialogue, you're friends, but when you pick the romance stuff you act like a total horndog). There's a bit of a problem with some dialogue choices that sort of go from one extreme to the other, it's a problem with Glint's romance too. Honestly, it's probably the result of timetables. On the sprite circles, didn't notice that, but I'm kinda sad that Beamdog didn't improve the pathfinding, I hope they get feedback on that, most people don't report it because "that's Baldur's Gate" due to the age of the engine. Import Bug is kind of rare, if you don't get items on the first run, import again, at least until they fix it.

joluv said:

No, I don't feel like going to the politics thread. Frankly, I think this exchange is very relevant to Beamdog's statement because of the analogous sequence of events.

1. Make an innocuous comment that reveals your political leanings.
    2. Get answered with insane vitriol from hate groups.
    3. Say, "Hey, these people are insane!"
    4. People who fancy themselves the grown-ups in the room respond with "Pipe down, both of you. I'm not interested in politics."

It's difficult to know how to respond to that.
  • PanthrosPanthros Member Posts: 15
    edited April 2016
    @TrentOster statement does read like an apology at all which is disappointing to say the least. I expected more humility in his statements. Another reason to not pick up Dragonspear.