Skip to content

An Honest Review of Siege

Lets be honest, with all of the political drama circling this game, finding a fair review of this game is actually becoming annoyingly hard. Worse yet, the reviews I do find, which are negative are generally for the most baffling reasons, or are just plain shortsighted at worse.

For the record, My views on the political front are....well don't care. Im here to enjoy the game, the role playing adventure. The whole nonsense is just a few dialogue boxes, and have now been confirmed for editing, so lets get on with this.

Gameplay: Feels like a mix between BG classic and icewind dale, in that theres a lot of swarm based fights. I don't honestly mind this to much, as I really enjoyed Icewind dale, and given the nature of the campaign, makes sense. Combat still feels nice, and theres plenty of room for strategy depending on party makeup and spell selections. Word of advice though, fireball for days, heck....fireball for months :P.

SO yea overall, I understand that for folks who don't like icewind, the larger swarm fights may be annoying. Personally I don't mind it at all, as long as theres room for strategies etc.

Graphics+UI: The new areas look nice, given the engine and are well detailed, not much else to say. Im aware that with 2.0 a lotof folk are unhappy with how the new UI/models look at times. To that, all I can say is its a preference thing, and theres PLENTY of ways to change it back to the original style. Do I personaly approve, as a BG vet? It'll take some getting used to, but its hardly a deal breaker to me...as I can change it back, and with ease once its all patched up.

Story: Heres were I get confused by all the negativity. The story itself is competent enough in its own right, the antagonist is cool and its interesting to finally connect some dots between the end of the first game, to baldurs gate 2. Now there are some miss's here and there, but it isn't like all the writing in BG 1 and 2 was golden. But now comes the caveat...

It wasn't written as well as BG 1/2....and that's FINE. Please remember, this is just an expansion pack, and comparing the story to those two games is incredibly unfair. A better test would be to compare it against ToB Or TOSC, in which case it not only stacks well, but even beats them in some regards. Compare expacs to expacs, not the full blown games.

The Ending: While I do agree it had some deus ex to it, I can't imagine for one second that ANYONE whos played BG didn't know how siege was gonna end. Reading folks cry about the ending is like folks who complained that the titanic still sunk at the end of the movie, or that the star wars prequels ended with evil winning. WE ALL KNEW that it would end with our CHARNAME....well, spoilers.

THe only thing I'd say could've been done is have siege mentioned a bit more in BG2, but how and by whom I don't know. Im more than willing to however buy into the theory that the torture your CHARNAME endured would lead to some mental issues, but idunno that's theory land now. Maybe have your char filled in on it during the first area when your recapped on BG1.

Bugs: Im sorry, that's just how games are released nowadays, I hate it to death but its reality. In fairness though, other than some latency stuff, I never hit a game crashing bug, maybe im lucky, or its cause im not modding.

Concluson: Comparing a $20 expansion to the full release BG1 and 2 is quite frankly, unfair. Its a solid game on its own, a LOT of fun and when you compare it to the RIGHT things, aka other bg expansions it beats them in several ways. The 1% of the game that's political nonsense seems to have blinded everyone to the rest of the game here, the other 99%

Had beamdog charged $40, or afull $60 for the game I would have been far more annoyed at some of these issues, but for a $20 expac, The game is great, and even better as patches fix technical issues.

Thank you for your time.

Comments

• Diogenes42Diogenes42 Member Posts: 597
    Glad to hear you enjoyed the game friend, thank you for your thoughts.
  • darkcrab34darkcrab34 Member Posts: 19
    Thanks,im just tired of folks comparing it to the FULL release games. I get why people can draw annoyance from some of the issues, but I find it an unfair judgement.

If they make BG3....Compare THAT to bg 1/2. Stack expansions against expansions.
  • Wraith_SarevokWraith_Sarevok Member Posts: 130
    edited April 2016
    To be fair: EVERY sequel is going to be compared to the original whether it's an expansion, movie, book, or full game. That's just life.
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    For an expansion, SoD is better than Tales of the Sword Coast and probably about on par with Throne of Bhaal. Both of which felt different to varying degrees from their base games.
  • athakathak Member Posts: 31
    Purudaya said:

For an expansion, SoD is better than Tales of the Sword Coast .

No, it isn't.
  • justfeelinathomejustfeelinathome Member Posts: 353
    @athak How constructive is it to just shout out "No, it isn't.", without adding WHY you think it isn't? These are forums, a place for discussion, not for random interjection. Let's discuss, not just shout.

On topic, I think that what brings about the comparison to the main game on a similar level is the (now) identical price-tag on the Enhanced Editions. Since they cost the same, they should be able to offer the same, is what some reviewers might think. But that is certainly omitting the fact that Beamdog did not CREATE the original games, but just picked them up and worked on them, rather than having to create them from scratch. It's a huge deal that gets left out far too frequently.
  • darkcrab34darkcrab34 Member Posts: 19
    athak said:

Purudaya said:

No, it isn't.
    Do you have any reasoning behind this? Don't get me wrong, if you really think that...its your opinion and I'm cool with that, but just saying no seems pretty unconstructive, ESPECIALLY when I seen way to many folks bashing Dragonspear just based on the SJW issues,and let that cloud their judgement before they even clear the first area.

@justtravelinthrough

Yea that's a pretty huge point, and your right that people seem to forget that rather large detail.
  • illathidillathid Member Posts: 320
    Purudaya said:

For an expansion, SoD is better than Tales of the Sword Coast and probably about on par with Throne of Bhaal. Both of which felt different to varying degrees from their base games.

I liked SoD better than BG1 myself. I'd rank it BG2>SoD>ToB>BG1>ToSC myself.
  • byrne20byrne20 Member Posts: 503
    I have had a great time playing siege of dragonspear. I've not really encountered anything game breaking bug wise so I have been lucky :) I do sometimes get a bit of slowdown where the game seems to lag for a few seconds every now and again. But it's not caused me any major issues. It might be to do with my laptop (my laptop did run BG EE and BG2 EE fine so probably not) overall I'm very happy with the expansion.
    edited April 2016
    athak said:

Purudaya said:

No, it isn't.
    Your sound, reasoned response has rendered my poor opinion helpless. TotSC adds werewolf island and Durlag's tower + assorted minor content. It's great, but it's not a 30hr cohesive narrative with new classes and companions. Throne of Bhaal offered linear game play and an *ok* story in exchange for unique combat encounters and innovative use of the engine. That's pretty much what Sod does as well, not including the fact that it allows us to revisit fully voiced classic characters for the first time in 15 years. I would rank both Sod and ToB at around 7.5-8 out of 10. If you disagree, feel free to say why.

That is, of course, if you've played the game.
    Post edited by Purudaya on
  • athakathak Member Posts: 31

@athak How constructive is it to just shout out "No, it isn't.", without adding WHY you think it isn't? These are forums, a place for discussion, not for random interjection. Let's discuss, not just shout.

a) I'm not shouting
    b) the -why- wasn't mentioned in Purdaya's post either, so go complain about that. Durlag's way beyond anything I've seen in SoD - even the most epic shiny new black borders surrounding the map, so just no, SoD isn't better than ToTSC.

And yes, unfortunately I've played SoD .
    To say "Tales of the Sword Coast and probably about on par with Throne of Bhaal. Both of which felt different to varying degrees from their base games" when comparing SoD to these two expansions sounds as if you're the one who hasn't played SoD.
    If you're happy with it and enjoying SoD, then bless ya, keep doing it.
    edited April 2016
    Sorry, double post.
    Purudaya said:

athak said:

a) I'm not shouting
    b) the -why- wasn't mentioned in Purdaya's post either, so go complain about that. Durlag's way beyond anything I've seen in SoD - even the most epic shiny new black borders surrounding the map, so just no, SoD isn't better than ToTSC.

And yes, unfortunately I've played SoD .
    To say "Tales of the Sword Coast and probably about on par with Throne of Bhaal. Both of which felt different to varying degrees from their base games" when comparing SoD to these two expansions sounds as if you're the one who hasn't played SoD.
    If you're happy with it and enjoying SoD, then bless ya, keep doing it.
    On my second play through. Will do :)

Still didn't provide much elaboration, though.
  • justfeelinathomejustfeelinathome Member Posts: 353
    Amen. I didn't mean the shouting part quite literally, but rather figuratively since your comment came quite out of nowhere and I know Purudayas opinions on the game a bit better. We can agree to disagree.

While I enjoyed Durlags to a great deal myself, so did I do with SoD, where, for example, I believe the item-designs are just stellar. And yes, the writing is sometimes corney or cheesy, at other times evil options are lacking (I'm not an evil player myself, but couldn't help but notice), but then again it has it's great moments, especially in side quests (The spectacles are a personal favorite). I do not love this game because of its flaws, but in spite of them.
  • OravaOrava Member Posts: 1
    Well, I'd rate SoD somewhere between BG1 and BG2. Having just played through the entire BG:EE (+ TotSC), I can even compare without too much of a nostalgia lens. :). SoD is better than BG1 on the whole (better writing and plotting, less inane wandering around useless countryside trying to pixelhunt crap, etc). It's easily better that TotSC. On the other hand, it can't really compete with the epic feel of BG2, though in some spots it comes close. I really liked that one combat + puzzle piece in the dwarven mines, for example, that was intense and clever.

The new NPCs are nice (liking them more than I thought I would) and the voice acting is on par with BG1. Writing is solid, overall -- some really nice bits, some klunky bits. Compares quite favorably with BG1.

Surprisingly, zero bugs encountered so far (on OS X, GOG version). Maybe it's just luck, or maybe the PC/Steam versions are buggier, but I'm not complaining :)
  • Wraith_SarevokWraith_Sarevok Member Posts: 130
    edited April 2016
    illathid said:

Purudaya said:

I'm with you. BG2 is undoubtedly at the top... untouchable.

I'd put BG1 in second place though. It did a whole lot more than just start this series. It sparked a whole new generation of interest in D&D through videogames (myself included) and for all its dumb moments and limited narrative, the story was awesome.

SoD should probably go in third, followed by ToB and then Tales in last place. I've never been satisfied with ToB as an ending since 2001. It had some seriously stupid twists, bad villains, and played mostly like a scorch and run. Not to mention the gameplay was ridiculously unbalanced (2nd Ed. AD&D does not scale well into epic levels). And Tales, while a very fun adventure, isn't really all that consistent and doesn't have much to do with the main storyline. It just felt tagged on. For all its issues, SoD tells a more compelling narrative I think.
  • helmo1977helmo1977 Member Posts: 364
    I would rank ToB and SoD at the same level. Each game has its pros and cons, but, overall, I would rank them as equals.

BG 1 and 2 are not fair comparisons, as they are full games while SoD is like a big expansion.

TotSC was just a dungeon crawl expansion not connected with the main events.
  • LoreLore Member Posts: 114
    It feels like more then an expansion but less then a full game. I enjoyed it quite a lot.
  • illathidillathid Member Posts: 320

illathid said:

Purudaya said:

I'm with you. BG2 is undoubtedly at the top... untouchable.

I'd put BG1 in second place though. It did a whole lot more than just start this series. It sparked a whole new generation of interest in D&D through videogames (myself included) and for all its dumb moments and limited narrative, the story was awesome.

SoD should probably go in third, followed by ToB and then Tales in last place. I've never been satisfied with ToB as an ending since 2001. It had some seriously stupid twists, bad villains, and played mostly like a scorch and run. Not to mention the gameplay was ridiculously unbalanced (2nd Ed. AD&D does not scale well into epic levels). And Tales, while a very fun adventure, isn't really all that consistent and doesn't have much to do with the main storyline. It just felt tagged on. For all its issues, SoD tells a more compelling narrative I think.
    Eh, BG1 was better than a lot of games out there but I'd still rank it behind SoD. The lack of interaction with your companions, the giant empty wilderness areas, weird story progression (I want to find the guy who killed my foster father, WTF am I looking into the iron crisis.), etc. are all handled better in SoD.
  • KrotosKrotos Member Posts: 156
    As I don't want to post a yet another thread about this, I made a review on Steam, here's the link: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198015771187/recommended/385970