Skip to content

Why Safana instead of Skie as the party thief? (possible spoilers)

MuroMuro Member Posts: 11
Was I the only one bothered by this? I really liked what was done with Skie in this game. I thought it was a great idea to take bratty, sheltered princess Skie Silvershield, make her even more of a brat, but balance it out with her newfound competence and drive to become a badass adventurer like her dad was. When she broke into my room and announced her intention to accompany me to Dragonspear (just after my eternal party thief Imoen said she wasn't feeling strong enough to do so), I thought damn, that's a great idea. It'll be a depressing journey without Imoen, but in a few certain ways, Skie reminds me of her; or at least, of who she used to be. The "eternal child." This struck me as a very interesting development on the writers' part and I couldn't wait to see where it went.

... which was not as far as it could have gone, I guess, as she remains a non-playable character throughout the game and has her screentime limited to two or three more appearances before her major role at the end, which I won't go into. Although, considering just how important she ends up being, not only to SoD but retroactively to the series in general, it again strikes me as incredibly odd that she wasn't the default playable thief to take Imoen's spot. It would have had even more impact. I think the story as a whole would have benefited from this, expanding on her character even more through party dialogue and the like. She could have had the same conflict with the Fist higher-ups through her association with you, who is by necessity put in ridiculously dangerous and reckless situations on a daily basis.

So I have to ask: Why Safana and not Skie? What did the former add as the party's thief that the latter wouldn't? I played a female CHARNAME, and the sultry lockpicker didn't really make much of an impression on me at all. She was snarkier than I remembered, and I think she's fixed up that smoky timbre a little, but aside from that... hers just ends up feeling like a very incidental presence in the story. At best. I actually find it more than a little jarring to think a woman I braved the hottest of the nine hells with would nonchalantly betray me to a bunch of werewolves a few months later, but let's not get into that...

It just feels bizarre to me, reintroducing these two thieves for the trip to Dragonspear, but making the one who isn't relevant to the overall story being told the playable one.

Comments

• Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    I agree with all of that, and didn't much care for Safana's recasting either. If anything, I think Skie does sultry better than Safana in SOD.
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    Muro said:

Was I the only one bothered by this? I really liked what was done with Skie in this game. I thought it was a great idea to take bratty, sheltered princess Skie Silvershield, make her even more of a brat, but balance it out with her newfound competence and drive to become a badass adventurer like her dad was. When she broke into my room and announced her intention to accompany me to Dragonspear (just after my eternal party thief Imoen said she wasn't feeling strong enough to do so), I thought damn, that's a great idea. It'll be a depressing journey without Imoen, but in a few certain ways, Skie reminds me of her; or at least, of who she used to be. The "eternal child." This struck me as a very interesting development on the writers' part and I couldn't wait to see where it went.

... which was not as far as it could have gone, I guess, as she remains a non-playable character throughout the game and has her screentime limited to two or three more appearances before her major role at the end, which I won't go into. Although, considering just how important she ends up being, not only to SoD but retroactively to the series in general, it again strikes me as incredibly odd that she wasn't the default playable thief to take Imoen's spot. It would have had even more impact. I think the story as a whole would have benefited from this, expanding on her character even more through party dialogue and the like. She could have had the same conflict with the Fist higher-ups through her association with you, who is by necessity put in ridiculously dangerous and reckless situations on a daily basis.

So I have to ask: Why Safana and not Skie? What did the former add as the party's thief that the latter wouldn't? I played a female CHARNAME, and the sultry lockpicker didn't really make much of an impression on me at all. She was snarkier than I remembered, and I think she's fixed up that smoky timbre a little, but aside from that... hers just ends up feeling like a very incidental presence in the story. At best. I actually find it more than a little jarring to think a woman I braved the hottest of the nine hells with would nonchalantly betray me to a bunch of werewolves a few months later, but let's not get into that...

It just feels bizarre to me, reintroducing these two thieves for the trip to Dragonspear, but making the one who isn't relevant to the overall story being told the playable one.

Just out of curiosity, have you finished the game yet?
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    edited April 2016
    Purudaya said:

Just out of curiosity, have you finished the game yet?

Given the stuff he references, it's obvious that he knows what happens at the end, even if he hasn't played it himself. And having played through it myself, I don't see anything there that contradicts his points. Not only could Skie have been in the party and still had her role at the end, it would have enhanced what happened, that was the main thrust of the post.

I mean, combine Imoen's innocence with being another unwitting victim of Irenicus' machinations after traveling with you. Skie would have been a combination of Imoen and Yoshimo in this scenario.
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    edited April 2016

Wow, I have no idea how I missed that - sorry OP. I agree, I would have much rather had Skie than Safana and the thematic continuity makes sense. @Abi_Dalzim Heads up, though; you might want to put a spoiler tag on those last two sentences.
  • illathidillathid Member Posts: 320
    I could see various reasons for doing it they way they did. By keeping her out of the party they could make sure she was available at certain point in the story. Yeah, it could work with her being a party member as well, but budgets can be restrictive in that regard.
  • RawgrimRawgrim Member Posts: 621
    Skie comes with Eldoth. Worth noting. Doubles the writing.
  • Wraith_SarevokWraith_Sarevok Member Posts: 130
    Hate both of them. Really miss Imoen... Q_Q
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    On a bright note, this will be (probably, I hope, like, REALLY hope - there are so many incredibly talented modders out there) the first NPC mod for SoD.
  • EscarcheEscarche Member Posts: 61
    edited April 2016
    I don't think the story could exactly work if you could kill Skie and leave her body in some random cave ;)
  • AzzaraAzzara Member Posts: 184
    I laughed every time Skie was on screen. That said, I could barely contain myself from fireballing her and Eldoth to death back in BG1.

Eldoth: Don't bore me.
    Skie: My feet hurt.
    Eldoth: You're so dull.
    Skie: I broke a nail.
  • VargnattVargnatt Member Posts: 42
    Escarche said:

I don't think the story could exactly work if you could kill Skie and leave her body in some random cave ;)

And Fists could bring her back and resurrect, so she can whine a little more and play her role in the end ;)
  • LoreLore Member Posts: 114
    i like the new Safana. The new skie is also cool tho hilarious.
  • MuroMuro Member Posts: 11
    edited April 2016
    Escarche said:

True enough. I'm sure there'd be ways to work around it though, even if it's as cheap as bringing her back to the castle at the end with a cheeky "luckily, the healers recovered me in time..." excuse (which, coincidentally, is exactly how they brought Skie's father back to life between games.)

Also, I'm admittedly citing this from the reliable source known as my ass, but I'd argue that relatively few players concerned with strict continuity laws and immersion would go out of their way to kill off or leave a party member pushed as relevant to the overall story for dead, unless there's clear practical gain involved, like keeping Jaheira without Khalid. Personally, if one of my party members dies, my first instinct is to furrow my brow and hit reload. The rest of the time, it's a minor inconvenience to be rectified with a trip to a temple; a character I dislike or have no use in the party for simply won't be taken, or kicked out and left to rot in Beregost or the Copper Coronet. Either way, somewhat out-of-character Bhaalspawn actions like brutally slaughtering a party member on a whim clearly have no effect on the continuity as it is; look at all the returning characters in 2 to whom you can broach the awkward subject of their "death".

But that's just me, I wouldn't have minded a little hand wave to justify her showing up alive and well for the big reveal. I found Skie oddly endearing in SoD, much more so than Safana at least. Unlike Saf, I thought the changes made to Skie's character in SoD were vast improvements, a "strong female character" done right - no, seriously, hear me out. Yes, she's still a reckless brat with romanticized dreams of adventure - the core of the character is still intact - but we see more this time. We see a drive to action, we see teenage rebellion this time not centered on hopeless trysts with sleazeballs but enlisting in the army and going off to fight a war without telling her family. She expresses feelings of envy and inferiority, a desire do things in her very particular way that paint her as headstrong, flawed, pampered, and might not be the best for the people around her.

I'm sure a lot of people followed her arc in SoD and saw nothing but the first two words I used to describe her, but with the opportunities afforded to party members - and as of SoD, she's become a proficient killer even without that privilege - I feel like the rest of her character could have been emphasized, rounded out, giving more of a punch to her fate. To too many readers, and too many writers, a strong female character just means a badass lady fighter who unlike the men in her life is above moral reproach and can do no wrong. To me, a strong female character is, well, a female character with her own goals motivations, her own strengths and weaknesses, and whether she's liked or loathed, I thought Skie expressed all of hers quite well despite her limited screentime. (For bonus points, she is portrayed in SoD as a pretty deadly, if reckless fighter.)

Safana... I don't know. Like I said, I didn't romance her, so if there's anything deeper to the character (beyond this new snark and sarcasm) that's revealed there I didn't get to see it, but I had her in my party from start to finish and she just felt so incidental. I didn't feel she had a stake in the plot, any motivation to be there, any expanded character traits that stuck out to me as a female CHARNAME, just a tool who's there because I needed two of her skills. Skie could have provided that with the added bonus of having a reason to accompany you, being a very relevant character in the story being told, having actual, organic character development between games, and becoming the crux of the drama during the climax.

... sorry, I didn't mean to ramble, but I hope I got my point across. Poor Skie (is her soul doomed forever now or what? Jesus, that's overkill, Irenicus) struck a chord with me in this expac, even as someone who never much cared for her in BG1, and I can't help but feel that she would have been an excellent party member in lieu of Imoen.
    Post edited by Muro on
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    Rawgrim said:

Skie comes with Eldoth. Worth noting. Doubles the writing.

Also limits party options. This is probably why they elected to kill Khalid in the BG2 intro dungeon.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    not many people used skie as she was such a late game npc there was no real point.
  • RawgrimRawgrim Member Posts: 621

not many people used skie as she was such a late game npc there was no real point.

Quite true. Alora too, I suspect.

Fun story, though. Saw a screenshot someone had take from their BG1 game. Skie backstabbing the werewolf boss on the werewolf island, and killing him. Around 70 damage in one hit.
  • ElGuapoElGuapo Member Posts: 37
    edited April 2016
    I never used either as my thief for any length of time when playing BG. It was always Imoen or CHARNAME. Would be nice to be able to have Imoen but of course she's busy dual classing and whatnot. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me to have her just unavailable, and it's a bit reminiscent of losing her at the beginning of BGII. I know it's not the same circumstances at all but I guess I'd just like to have her around all the time rather than have her missing for huge swaths of game time.

I've always like the idea of playing thru everything with the canon party but of course going from game to game is always at least a bit disjointed. Along those lines, is there what could be considered a "canon" party for SoD? I know at some point I'm going to go back to it and play it all the way thru.
    Post edited by ElGuapo on
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    well there is the abovious j/k, m/d combo. i feel the game wants you to have corwin to come with you so she could work. then there is safana.
  • MrPotatoChickenMrPotatoChicken Member Posts: 12
    Skie was awesome in SoD! Ahh that scene when she wakes you up, that had me laughing. I do think the good thing about not having her in the party was that it allowed the game to characterize her. But.. she was so awesome I'd love to have her in the party. (and Imoen, *sniff* *snivel*, no adventure with Imoen) It does feel like the writers could have a found a way to have her in the party and characterize her. I'd think the ending would have a more emotional impact if she had been in the party.

(Maybe in B3.. ey?)