Skip to content

Diversity in your party

I loved How there were very large differences between all the NPCs that you could bring along with you. I was, however, a little bummed that I couldn't find a Dwarf NPC ANYWHERE that would be willing to come with me. I love having different kinds of NPCs, and sometimes I try to have several different kinds of NPCs travel with me, just for the sake of having different races all over the place....

BASICALLY my question is:

Why no Dwarf love?

Comments

• SirdentSirdent Member Posts: 45
    edited April 2016
    I myself was sad Viconia doesnt keep her dvergar companion when you have her join you. My favorite character in DnD I ever played was a duergar barbarian that I refused to take common as a language. Didnt die through three different campaigns. Wish I could have got some underdark main pc love but alas will have to stick with my evil drow companions for now.

Though to be fair you do get at least one companion thats a race never before offered.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    edited April 2016
    I agree, and was a little disappointed. I thought of making a thread called "Why No Dwarves?" myself. I hoped maybe Kagain would return, but to no avail. I agree with @Philhelm about Kagain being the most believable evil character, and would love to see him expanded upon.
    Post edited by booinyoureyes on
  • PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473
    @booinyoureyes I guess Kagain meant it when he said that he didn't want to (urp!).
  • justfeelinathomejustfeelinathome Member Posts: 353
    Well, halflings were missing as well. Though to me, personally, Glint felt more like one than he did seem gnomish. The whole "family" theme was halfling-esque to me, even though someone other might feel different.

If they ever change something aside from we-all-know-what-it's-a-diffenet-topic, they should show more shorty-love. :smile:
  • RawgrimRawgrim Member Posts: 621
    Dwarves always gets the short end of the stick in rpgs. Especially female dwarves.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    The red box basic set was for Dungeons & Dragons and thus a separate game from Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, which had gnomes from the start. And both of course can be traced back to the boxed set with the three booklets.

Anyway, I like gnomes fine thanks to WoW.
  • ElGuapoElGuapo Member Posts: 37
    edited April 2016

The red box basic set was for Dungeons & Dragons and thus a separate game from Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, which had gnomes from the start. And both of course can be traced back to the boxed set with the three booklets.

Anyway, I like gnomes fine thanks to WoW.

I didn't really get into AD&D until the 2nd edition, which is where my best memories come from, but still never liked gnomes. I had the earlier AD&D books but they were not nearly as user friendly, especially at a fairly young age.

Have never been able to get in WoW. My partner loves it and I've tried, but it all feels wrong. Probably too many gnomes. I don't care for all their machinery and contraptions. I guess I prefer more straight up swords and sorcery.

Post edited by ElGuapo on
    Maybe we can add the no dwarves to the diversity and inclusion issues on gender? I remember the DnD first and second editions having in the description sections that many dwarven women had beards. Maybe we can get a downloadable dwarf companion that looks male but is female (and maybe even identifies more of male than female or feels more like having no expressed gender?). May also be an amusing test to see the girdle of masculinity/femininity does nothing to the character with no expressed gender.
    gangler said:

You know, I totally agree, but on a personal level I just find Kagain so boring. He's so lethargic. Doesn't really bring any kind of energy to the team.

Kagain is probably super bored waiting for the sickly, 18 Con party members to keep up during their travels. Either the mage can't keep up, or the other warrior has to tend to his wounds, even after a full night's rest. Meanwhile, Kagain is always ready to go.

• XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    I think having a Female Dwarf would cover plenty of missing components to party composition. There aren't very many short ladies running around (except Mazzy and Alora) not to mention that Dwarf and Halfling males don't really have a romancable option (as far as I'm aware). I liked Kagain, I also liked Yeslick; but I feel like there should be a new one. I don't think Yeslick would have wanted to stay any more than he had to after he got his vengeance.

ALTHOUGH the fact that Kagain's inability to save the Silvershield child could definitely add to the story of SoD
    Xavioria said:

I think having a Female Dwarf would cover plenty of missing components to party composition. There aren't very many short ladies running around (except Mazzy and Alora) not to mention that Dwarf and Halfling males don't really have a romancable option (as far as I'm aware). I liked Kagain, I also liked Yeslick; but I feel like there should be a new one. I don't think Yeslick would have wanted to stay any more than he had to after he got his vengeance.

ALTHOUGH the fact that Kagain's inability to save the Silvershield child could definitely add to the story of SoD

A female dwarf berserker would do. Dual wielding axes.
    I was told the game was lacking in frontliners. So a dwarven defender would be superb.
  • alaundoalaundo Member Posts: 131
    Isnt one of the new npcs a dwarf? The bard?
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    I actually thought Voghlin was going to be a Dwarven Skald... I was super excited, then I found out he was human and I slumped. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I played a female character through my first playthrough of SoD and Corwin was VERY into that....
  • BillyBroBillyBro Member Posts: 62
    Xavioria said:

I think having a Female Dwarf would cover plenty of missing components to party composition.

Yes, a female dwarf with a beard, because those in Forgotten Realms can have beards. And straight too, she likes males.

BillyBro said:

Xavioria said:

I think having a Female Dwarf would cover plenty of missing components to party composition.

Yes, a female dwarf with a beard, because those in Forgotten Realms can have beards. And straight too, she likes males.

If a female dwarf has a beard, then the implication is that she would actually prefer other females.

• NightRevanNightRevan Member Posts: 81
    gangler said:

Xavioria said:

I actually thought Voghlin was going to be a Dwarven Skald... I was super excited, then I found out he was human and I slumped. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I played a female character through my first playthrough of SoD and Corwin was VERY into that....

Corwin's bisexual. Into men and women.

Glint's gay. Into men exclusively.

Voughlin is straight. Into women exclusively.

M’Khiin is straight. Into men exclusively.

3 total SoD companions who are into men.
    M'Khiin is a romance, going green is in the game? (best keep it quiet, with all the drama over Mizhena goblin love might push everyone over the edge ;) ).
  • mysterymeepmysterymeep Member Posts: 33
    Philhelm said:

BillyBro said:

Xavioria said:

If a female dwarf has a beard, then the implication is that she would actually prefer other females.

Iiii get it.
    gangler said:

Xavioria said:

Oh wow. Are you saying the ratio of LGBT versus Straight is 50 - 50, just like in Dragon Age?
    Not necessarily the 1st edition referenced in many ways to Tolkien who reference dwarven women with beards, I dont believe Tolkien had that implication. As editions and revisions occured the rules went further away from Tolkien and his sources of inspiration, elves were no longer immortal and could be resurrected, racial restrictions to classes went away, etc, but I dont remember anything Forgotten Realms specific that mentions female dwarves with beards trending towards relationships with other women, the only aspect I remember about the facial hair was that Duergar women do not grow facial hair but surface dwarven races can. I am glad others like the thought of getting a female dwarf with a beard, It always seemed to me that even playing table top it was one of those details that people missed or ignored...at least with the male players I have played with. I believe all the female players noted it when they made characters and chose explicitly they didnt want a beard.
    Philhelm said:

BillyBro said:

Xavioria said:

Not according to DnD lore. As Ed Greenwood said, DnD isn't a sexual game. So the correct train of thought is that some got beards, and that's it. No following thought. But that's hard for SJW's though. There must be an agenda somewhere, something sexual or racial or whatever to defend, and they naturally add that thought, just like you did.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100

Horrible pictures to look at. But thank you.
  • mysterymeepmysterymeep Member Posts: 33
    I'm pretty sure the joke wasn't anything to do with 'sjw' anything. See, a beard is also a term for a gay person's opposite-sex significant other, who they're with to display 'no really I'm straight.'

It was wordplay.
    gangler said:

gangler said:

Xavioria said:

M'Khiin is a romance, going green is in the game? (best keep it quiet, with all the drama over Mizhena goblin love might push everyone over the edge ;) ).
    See, that I don't know. I've been hearing mixed reports about whether all or even any of the SoD companions are romancable.

Seems like M'Khiin might be weird, since I'm pretty sure Goblins only live to be like eleven or something, though I guess technically it's no different from any elf/human relationship.

I'm also a little unclear on how old Glint is. I've only spoken to him a bit in my personal playthrough but he kind of sounds like he might be a child?
    BillyBro said:

gangler said:

Xavioria said:

Oh wow. Are you saying the ratio of LGBT versus Straight is 50 - 50, just like in Dragon Age?
    I think the overall ratio is still a bit under 50% if you take into account the drow sorcerer and the bear.

But for all the main companions, yeah, now that you mention it.

Neera: Straight.

Rasaad: Straight

Vaughlin: Straight.

M'Khiin: Straight.

4 straight companions total.

Dorn: Bi

Hexxat: Gay

Corwin: Bi

Glint: Gay

4 Gay/Bi companions total.
    The bear counts as bestiality. I suppose it should be inserted in the LGBT crew. Add a second meaning to the letter B ?