Skip to content

"Deadly serious. No, really." (CG FMT RP playthrough and yes, *spoilers*)

cdxcdx Member Posts: 90
First ever playthrough I'm writing up. It's meant to be very light hearted. A lot of things are only mentioned in passing, or not at all, so people who know the game would understand the journal much better than someone who hasn't played it.

About charname - he's a mix and match of broken rules and crazy stats. He's a human Fighter/Conjurer/Thief, with strength 18/30, elf dexterity, 19 charisma (hi Coran, Kagain :) ). I tried to include a RP explanation how he got the crazy attribute values. Also, they match the spirit of the journal - "easy stuff". Personality-wise he's more like a rogue or swashbuckler. Apparently his wisdom should be lower but the high wis thinking just doesn't make it into the journal. A life has been easy and pleasant if it is remembered as such.

As for the writing - don't expect quality. The dialogues are not well formatted, they are the way they would appear in a diary. Content is... well, at least every now and then it makes me smile.

Also, maybe worth to note, charname and Imoen have a crush on each other but don't expect anything weird.

No-reload, until I do :smile: I like the no-reload playstyle but I'm not willing to give up on a lot of progress. BG1NPC, SCS basics, etc. The first post is very long, any others shouldn't be. No reloads yet.

--- Journal Entry 1 ---

Now that I've decided to start a journal, let's start with a bit about my past. I'll try not to be long-winded. More adventuring, less writing. So. I grew up in Candlekeep. Gorion raised me as his own, my mother a friend of his, my father unknown.

I was a smart kid, interested in way too many things. I'd spend days in the library with nothing left in my head but wonder and only a faint idea about a myriad of things.

One day I got the idea of becoming a good Lich. These must be awesome, do great good and the coolest thing of all - have countless years to learn new interesting things.

So I decided I was going to do whatever (as long as it's not evil and isn't baking pie) it takes to get the knowledge and power to do great good. Get stronger, faster, tougher, smarter, wiser, cooler. Of course, I'd help Imoen live forever, too, so we'd kick evil ass together until there's no more evil, and that's bound to take a while. She seemed to be keen on the idea.

The plan in short - become the most capable human being I possibly could, then go about kicking evil ass, collecting items of power and eventually turning Imoen and me into deathless sentinels of good. Although we'd have to remember to stay hydrated, in the illustrations those liches seemed quite dry. Could be part of the whole "evil" bit though, in which case it wouldn't be a problem for us.

Time to focus then, no more going through useless stuff in the library.

Four years of reading all the tomes on improving one's physical aspects and actually doing all that stuff was crazy. I don't think all of Candlekeep did as much exercise in a year as I did in a week. Learning how to learn was also a great help. Magic, lockpicking, monster lore. Leadership, mechanics, poking fun at Immy. Much got done.

Good thing, for what came after was taxing.

A few days ago, we were about to leave Candlekeep. Finally, on the road to adventure, eternal life and making the planes a better place to live. The start was great, Gorion dumping a pile of gold for me to spend. How could I say no? Unfortunately, it wasn't enough for the fancy katana I was ogling. Luckily Firebead was around to extend my Candlekeep sponsorship. Candlekeep's various chests were kind enough to help, too. Normally I wouldn't do such a thing but in this case it was for the greater good - getting that katana. Also, I decided that I'd donate the full amount once I'm back with all the treasure looted from evil corpses and haunted castles.

Small dents in the plan - two assassins in Candlekeep. This was when I finally understood why Gorion was in a hurry. Luckily they weren't Drizzt-slayers. Killing is not nice but I have to say I quite liked wasting someone who had just made a - although admittedly quite miserable - attempt on my life. But why the heck?

I spoke with Imoen on the way to Gorion and she suggested, then refuted, taking her with us. I let it go, I was pretty sure she'd come anyway. Let her do it her way. I said I'd miss her pretty ass. She said she'd miss my empty head. Ah, tis great spending time with her.

Gorion and I left Candlekeep. Then the bad thing happened. An actual Drizzt-slayer showed up. We walked into their ambush and Gorion paid the price for me making it out unscathed. I ran and ran, then hid. The shock and exhaustion took me and the night blinked into a day. And there she was, my pretty little Imoen. Well, she wasn't mine but she was pretty. A hug had never felt that good. We talked about the past night, then went over and found Gorion's remains. No way we could have resurrected him. I swore I'd frickin kill them. The monster in the armour and any companions he had. I'd end them.

Now I had a real goal. A solid, definite goal wearing a spiky armour. Lichdom would wait a little bit, first we'd take this guy down.

Imoen the Quick. Suits her. She got our first attacker. A nasty-looking gibberling. Shooting like an elf, she is. Is that so, she said? Oh, so charming, she should keep her guard, lest I jump on her same as the gibberling. I'd never, I said, I'd be sneaky and totally not jump. It was good that we found the strength to joke with each other.

Oh, Imoen, look, I've found something almost as sparkly as you, I said, pointing at a diamond slightly poking out of a tree branch. Whatcha know, she said, diamonds grow on trees! And aren't you the charmer again, compliments and stuff. Allow me, I said, to present you with this little gift, bland compared to your beauty, oh divine princess walking among us mere mortals. Uii, that's nice, she said. I'll be a proper princess and graciously accept. There now, in the pocket it goes. Feel free to gift me any other sparkles you come across!

On the way east we met Monty and Xzar. Great dudes. Or they would be if one wasn't so crazy and both - so evil. Travelling together was a good idea though, as an ambush, even by simple bandits, could cause trouble for us now. Turned out that we're quite the crazy wolf and bear slayers. Poor them. Especially the wolves, like big grey puppies. Rabid big grey puppies. We went a bit further east, met some funny guy with a funny hat and then turned north, following the road.

At the Friendly Arm we were attacked again and Monty and Xzar proved to be reliable companions. They went mental on the mage that attacked us, bashing him senseless with blade and spells, although my arrow was what finally brought him down. Commendable effort on his part. Inside we met Jaheira and Khalid.

Auntie Jaheira, as Imoen nicknamed her, is awesome and her husband is pretty close. He seems a bit shy and his speech is kinda broken but he is a cool fella.

I got a pair of golden pantaloons in a funny way. Tried them, they don't quite fit but Imoen said that I was so shiny she'd wear me as a necklace. I asked her to try them and she did. She disappeared to put them on and showed up wearing them like pyjamas, she'd probably fit in one of the legs. I told her that it's a bit loose but if she kept going the same as in the last couple of months she'd fill them in no time. She cutely told me that if I didn't close that big mouth of mine I'd get her big fat feet heavily stomping it in the ground. I said she was so cute and lady-like. She went off to change again.

Jaheira and Khalid seemed quite amused by our friendly pecking at each other. Monty and Xzar half the time looked eagerly and expectantly, as if they thought we were about to start a fight to the death. The other half of the time they completely ignored us.

Imoen started playing around with the mage assassin's spell-book. Cool. She's a smart girl, could be fun slingin spells together, as she framed it. That's what I thought. What I said was to please not blow us up or turn us all pink. She agreed not to blow us up.

A full adventuring party, rested and armed to the teeth. Xzar seeming quite happy to attack with his teeth too. We embarked on a quest to recover a ring. We did. We also found a ring under a tree.
Hey, that's quite pretty, ain't you gonna give it to me? Imoen asked. Oh, so you agree, my dear, my precious, my only one? I told her, with the stupidest open-mouth stare of admiration and unearthly bliss, extending the ring to her. Wait, what? she said. Oh, no, I am refuted..., I cringed, all broken-hearted, Ok, then, I shall keep the ring. She pouted. I grinned.

In Beregost we met Firebead again. He gave us a scroll case. That was quite useful, Xzar had started looking like a hedgehog with bits of scrolls sticking out of his robes in all directions. He and Monty seemed to get a bit upset with us after we did a few nice things for folks. Not into the do-goody types them two.

Close by the temple we found a band of Chill bandits who attacked us. Silly hobgobs. Monty charged them while we pelted them with arrows. As long as we shot high he was safe and they kept falling. Nice pair of boots that seemed magical. In the same area we found a pack of wolves. Seriously big bad wolves. Dire, vampiric ones, all of them extra vile. We decided to bravely... turn around and march forward. Without any weapons that could harm them we'd be pancakes. Good thing we know our stuff.

Further south we went to Nashkel and there got attacked by another assassin. She was a cleric of some sort but seemed more brave than wise. The six of us reacted swiftly and somehow managed not to lose. I guess we were lucky.

We spoke with the mayor of Nashkel and agreed to go investigate the mines. Solving local trouble seemed quite a good match for our aspirations, and an appropriate gold reward would let us equip ourselves better. We needed to get much better weapons and magic to fight the spiked freak, if a mage as powerful as Gorion was unable to stop him.

--- ---
Edit: Less wordy intro above the journal
Post edited by cdx on

Comments

• FinnTheHumanFinnTheHuman Member Posts: 404
    cdx said:

[...] Also, maybe worth to note, charname and Imoen have a crush on each other but don't expect anything weird. [...]

Aww, come on. Wierd stuff.

Looking forward to your next update. :smile:
  • cdxcdx Member Posts: 90
    Thanks for the remainder, I kinda forgot about this, SoD and all :). No reloads yet. EE Keepered the PC attributes to make him at least legal for human, lowered dex and cha one point each. Lack of time to exercise or conduct philosophical debate stand-up since Candlekeep took it's toll. Still a total munch, though.

--- Journal Entry 2 ---

At this point tensions were going a bit high between Monty and Xzar and the rest of the group. We're a bit too nice. I guess they needed some kind of abuse coming from us, so we'd happily bicker and release the tension with curses or fistfights, but we weren't very good sport. Personality mismatch, clear as day. Nevermind that it rains all the time. What's with that? Anyway, I asked Monty and the wizard to go relax somewhere while we took care of things around there. They were more than happy to disappear. I guess the crime rate in Nashkel will be on the up next few days.

On the way to the mines we picked up a Cowled Wizard. Interestingly, she's not cowled. I guess they aim to confuse the enemy even with their club name. Is she a Cowled Wizard? an assailant would think. Nah, obviously not, no cowl. Ingenious. Or maybe I slightly underestimate some assailants.

In the vicinity of the mines we found the sculptor Prism. Wow, this guy was fast at chopping rocks. There was a pretty paladin who was busy looking at him. While I was busy looking at her, the Greywolf came over. Yes, *the* Greywolf. I guess he's famous or something, at least he acted this way. Don't know about that but he was obviously a prick. He attacked and we fixed his confidence calibration issues. Unfortunate that he wouldn't be able to benefit from it. What would be of benefit was his shiny sword. Khalid could use that, once we make sure it's not cursed.

Isra, the cute paladin, was quite happy that we intervened. She offered to join us when we told her we're about to investigate the mines. These mines sure were getting a lot of attention. Isra, Valerie (the wizard that joined us), Monty, Xzar, us four. Wow, I've started thinking of Auntie Jaheira and Khalid as a duo that goes together with our duo. And our duo never splits, Imoen the Quick and her trusty side-kick. Wait, whattha...? I'm getting brainwashed by Immy. Also, I should think of a handle, too.

The-guy-who's-bits-would-make-it-very-clear-what-he's-thinking-about. Imoen's first suggestion. Well, that's not very fair. It was years ago now, also, doesn't any kind of creature "with bits" go through that stage at some point? The-"nah-it's-not-a-big-deal"-caster. Her second suggestion. I seemed to cast that at will and it was always my first spell of choice. I was starting to regret this.

We saw the funniest thing ever at the carnival. Yes, we realised that we hadn't visited the carnival. Also, we had a cartload of stuff to sell, so off we went. At the carnival there was an exploding ogre! Imoen said it was gross but seemed very interested nonetheless. I couldn't stop grinning. He did it again. Wow, that was some real tasteful entertainment! Way better than the performers nearby. For some reason Oompa didn't seem too happy though. Just as I thought a chase scene would ensue the wizard actually disappeared and Oompa's attention shifted to us. I'm sorry Oompa, you were a great talent.