Skip to content

Easy Way to Lower Reputation

Is there a way to do it? I just completed the druid quest, but when I turn it in I stand to gain 3 points of rep, causing Viconia to leave my party

Seems like there's a glut of rep in this expansion unfortunately :/

Comments

• Wraith_SarevokWraith_Sarevok Member Posts: 130
    Gatekeeper can do it, but usually I just find a commoner in a secluded place where nobody can see me, and murder him/her.
    SpaceInvader
  • BillyBroBillyBro Member Posts: 62
    Or you can also kill the transgender NPC, that will also reduce your reputation. Especially on these boards, expect it to drop to 1 instantly.
    Victor_Creed_SFVPhilhelmankheg[Deleted User]veskoamdroid
  • craymond727craymond727 Member Posts: 208
    Subtlety and tact are not BillyBro's forte, are they?

But yeah, sneakily killing randoms is a sure-fire way of dropping your reputation. Do you need to be precise in how low you drop it?
    ValamirCleaverFina92SolmageSCARY_WIZARD
  • Victor_Creed_SFVVictor_Creed_SFV Member Posts: 609
    BillyBro said:

Or you can also kill the transgender NPC, that will also reduce your reputation. Especially on these boards, expect it to drop to 1 instantly.

You can kill him without everyone turning hostile? Cool.
  • lazutulazutu Member Posts: 118

BillyBro said:

Yup, and two smaller SJW's will drop out of her.
    Philhelmankheg[Deleted User]veskoamdroid
  • jankieljankiel Member Posts: 127
    Well recruiting Baeloth or Dorn causes a drop in reputation as well.
    SCARY_WIZARD
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I'm also pretty sure that killing Mizhena doesn't reduce your reputation (she's not listed as an Innocent). But yeah, stay on topic.
    SpaceInvaderillathidSCARY_WIZARD
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    That's because you can fight her if you choose some dialogs during her quests isn't it? Shouldn't the mage pop and trap your soul the rest of the time though?
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    edited April 2016
    Kogorn said:

Is there a way to do it? I just completed the druid quest, but when I turn it in I stand to gain 3 points of rep, causing Viconia to leave my party

Seems like there's a glut of rep in this expansion unfortunately :/

That's very strange, because there should only be 1 point increase for completing the druid quest.

Also there're quite a number of quests that allow negative reputation gains, if you solve them in a particular way. If you play as good, then it stands to reason you'll have high rep and evil party members will not be happy about the fact.

I understand it may be inconvenient for those who want Viconia for her stats, rather then her personality, but this is how BGs have always been.

If you really want to play good while keeping evil party members, you can dismiss them before turning a quest in, then accept back into party.

That's because you can fight her if you choose some dialogs during her quests isn't it? Shouldn't the mage pop and trap your soul the rest of the time though?

There's a harmless exploit that allows to kill Mizhena and Belegarm without consequences. They were supposed to escape the area if brought to low HP (e.g. if you kite dangerous monsters into the camp) - so that there's a plausible explanation when they re-appear in next chapters, - but apparently dedicated players can buff up and kill them before it happens.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    Rover_27 said:

I killed a random woman once to lower my reputation in order to keep some evil guys in the party, but I honestly couldn't continue my game because I was so ashamed of my self. So, several hours later I reloaded my older save and kicked all evil guys from the party instead. I guess that's what we call true RPG experience when I really feel bad for things like that

Beamdog's fault. In BG1 and BG2 we had Noober and Neeber to kill in order to lower our reputation without feeling any bad. A pity we do not have a Naaber in SoD.
    SCARY_WIZARD
  • PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473

BillyBro said:

Using the wrong pronoun is a -1 to reputation.

• lazutulazutu Member Posts: 118
    edited April 2016
    Arunsun said:

Rover_27 said:

I killed a random woman once to lower my reputation in order to keep some evil guys in the party, but I honestly couldn't continue my game because I was so ashamed of my self. So, several hours later I reloaded my older save and kicked all evil guys from the party instead. I guess that's what we call true RPG experience when I really feel bad for things like that

Beamdog's fault. In BG1 and BG2 we had Noober and Neeber to kill in order to lower our reputation without feeling any bad. A pity we do not have a Naaber in SoD.
    I've just spam-finished SoD in story mode, and the game does have a Noober, conveniently called NÜber this time, with that German "U". He was in that location, ugh, where it has that web for another quest. He has a funny twist this time, but no reputation loss. And yeah, BG1's Noober also didn't have any penalty for killing him: http://www.forgottenwars.com/bg1/ar4800.htm
    Nomphosumus
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited April 2016
    @BillyBro, you're an idiot...

Anyway, the easiest way to lower rep IS to kill random NPCs. I don't know if it works for SoD, BG1 NPC Project has a more "convenient solution". (The mod installs in SoD, but I don't know if there's any SoD specific locations.) This component is called "Bardic Reputation Adjustment", and it allows you to lower your reputation without killing random neutral NPCs or guards.
    From BG1 NPC Project readme:
    The BG1NPC Project: Bardic Reputation Adjustment
    This component places three Bards in three inns scattered on the Sword Coast. Each can be hired to spread your fearsome reputation around, decreasing your reputation. The amount of money this costs is dependent on your current reputation. This allows players to manipulate reputation both upwards through temple donations, and downwards through the spread of rumors (for those of us who hate killing an innocent just to keep neutral NPCs happy).
    craymond727monico
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    I think the game just modifies your reputation a lot (as an evil party it was fairly hard to not reach 1 which caused safana to leave) so I guess don't try to have Viconia in a good party unless you're ready to solve quests in an evil way when you need to please her.

That's pretty logical from a roleplaying point of view. Viconia doesn't advocate killing innocents for fun.

You could just downgrade your rep via EEkeeper or install that part of BGtweaks at that point.
  • RawgrimRawgrim Member Posts: 621
    Cast a fireball at guests in a tavern. Go to a temple. Boost your rep back up a bit buy donating money.
    veskoamdroid
    Rawgrim said:

Cast a fireball at guests in a tavern. Go to a temple. Boost your rep back up a bit buy donating money.

LMAO, this so Chaotic Evil.

"Why'd you kill all those innocent tavern guests?"
    "Because I felt like it!"
    "Ok, so...donating to the Temple then?..."
    "Yes, you self-righteous prick, I am donating!"
    Rawgrimveskoamdroid

Rawgrim said:

LMAO, this so Chaotic Evil.

"Why'd you kill all those innocent tavern guests?"
    "Because I felt like it!"
    "Ok, so...donating to the Temple then?..."
    "Yes, you self-righteous prick, I am donating!"
    You know what is more evil? You know the thieves guild building you have to wipe out in BG2? Have Jaheira cast Entangle into the main room with all the thieves. Have Edwin or someone cast one of the poisonous gas spells in there right after. Close the doors and watch the XP points just pop up over and over.
    rapsam2003
    Rawgrim said:

You know what is more evil? You know the thieves guild building you have to wipe out in BG2? Have Jaheira cast Entangle into the main room with all the thieves. Have Edwin or someone cast one of the poisonous gas spells in there right after. Close the doors and watch the XP points just pop up over and over.

Bahahaha, that's sadastic. I love it. I should try that sometime.

Rawgrim said:

Bahahaha, that's sadastic. I love it. I should try that sometime.
    You have to make use of what you have at hand, after all.
    rapsam2003
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    Kill someone useless, like a Cowled Wizard
    rapsam2003
  • KogornKogorn Member Posts: 104
    edited April 2016
    So I found a solution:

In the Dead Man's Gulch area, there's a group of refugees fleeing a pack of wolves. If you attack them when all 3 are alive, they all agrro, all but forcing you to kill them, losing way too much reputation. However, if you let the wolves kill two of them, and then kill the last one yourself, you lose 9 points of reputation. No one sees you do it, and although you can't complete the quest to save them, it's only worth 6k xp and a few potions anyway.

Evil, I know, but I wanted to keep Viccy :P

Also, @Ardanis I mispoke earlier regarding why I gained three points of rep. Turns out the latter 2 points were gained as a result of Viconia initially leaving my party when I turned the quest in. I didn't connect the dots at the time, whoops!
    monico
  • WulfgarBattlehammerWulfgarBattlehammer Member Posts: 12
    It's pretty pathetic that so many people were so butthurt over ONE transgender NPC in Dragonspear that doesn't even make it remotely obvious.
    Fina92monico
  • ToymoonToymoon Member Posts: 3

It's pretty pathetic that so many people were so butthurt over ONE transgender NPC in Dragonspear that doesn't even make it remotely obvious.

People forget that Edwin was transgender before it was cool.
    semiticgoddessAngulimalaveskoamdroidmonico
  • JLEJLE Member Posts: 58
    edited February 2019
    I'm sure I remember it being the case in the original game, that if you (actual main character, rather than just the party's front man) had a high enough Charisma, you could keep evil characters in your party even with 19 or 20 Reputation, although they wouldn't stick around if you dropped them from the party?

Has that been changed in the Enhanced Edition?
  • Fina92Fina92 Member Posts: 284
    @Kogorn Well, an easy solution with no RP-backlash (e.g. murdering innocents) is just to let Viconia stay back in the camp while you collect the rewards for reputation gaining-quests such as with the druids.

If you are at 18 rep, removing Viconia will instatntly get you to 20. Go and collect quest rewards, the reputation cannot get higher than 20 anyways. Once finished, go back and get her. When she is back in your party your rep will decrease to 18 again :wink:
    tbone1AngulimalaAerakarmonico
  • SamuelVargSamuelVarg Member Posts: 598
    I found a way to loose 3 points of reputation. I had Viconia in my party and went into the Inn in the most south west corner. A paladin attacked my party and I was forced to kill him. No one else attacked, no Flaming Fists where summoned or anything. 3 points of reputation loss. That was all.
  • monicomonico Member Posts: 571
    That's BG1 though, not SoD.

And indeed, there are plenty of ways in BG1 to manage your reputation as an evil party (although, there are still much less ways to decrease rep than to increase it).
  • xstokerxxstokerx Member Posts: 2
    Killing a slave in the nashkel mine reduces ur rep by 5 points