Skip to content

Who remembers the Darkest Day mod?

comebackhomecomebackhome Member Posts: 254
I excitedly stumbled upon this today shsforums.net/topic/58521-mod-the-darkest-day-z/ and I'm not sure about the rest of the community but I really enjoyed playing through the Darkest day on BG2 back in the days. Someone's revived this mod to be compatible with EE, which I am grateful for.

So I guess the general purpose of this thread was to spread awareness if people like me used to enjoy playing it, and also a feedback thread for people that have tried this to discuss how they found it.

Comments

• feersum_endjinnfeersum_endjinn Member Posts: 65
    edited April 2016
    I remember this mod - it was one of the first "big" mods for BG2.

To be honest though, to my mind it was eclipsed by later mods that came out. I think it tried to do too much - it added new quests, new NPCs, new kits, and more, but didn't do any of these things as good as later mods that focused only on one thing. I remember the kits being especially bad - some way too powerful, others completely useless. I don't think the original authors thought much about game balance. It was also pretty damn buggy.

I don't want to crap on it completely - some of the content was fun and interesting. But arguably the best thing it did was show what was possible when game mods were much rarer than they are today. It feels like there was a lot of stuff included simply because they were able, rather than because it would actually enhance the experience.

That said, if they are dealing with bugs and balance as they update, this could be very interesting. Turning into components rather than a single massive install is a good start, so I'll be keeping an eye on this project.
  • Clumsy_DwarfClumsy_Dwarf Member Posts: 112
    "Told me to poke you with a sharp pokey thing"...great line fro that mod. I actually and across the file a few weeks ago looking for some old sound sets. While not the best mod, It really paved the way for what big mods could be.