Skip to content

What's in the house next to *spoilers*

In the Bridge district, there's the house in the SW where the Lady is held ransom for the Silver Pantaloons. Immediately to the NE is another house with a trap door, but when you open it it gives you flavor text and you can't enter.

Anything go on here later? Or is it a junker?

Comments

• QueegonQueegon Member Posts: 363
    edited April 2016
    You need a certain rare and very valuable gem to enter. It has the colors of rainbow.
  • BalladBallad Member Posts: 205

You need a rogue stone in your pack to enter. Be warned, though: you'll be facing a very tough fight and can't leave without winning.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592

As it was said, you will need a rogue stone. Keep this fight for late game if you don't feel confident, as it is a really hard one and you will need to win it to get out. Note that there is a huge reward for your mage/sorcerer if you have one though
  • DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508
    You will be fighting named NPCs, A lich, A Vampire, An Elder Eye Tyrant, a Wizard type. The reward is the Staff of The Magi. If you don't get it, it's because the mage got chunked by one of its 'allies' for casting an AOE spell.
  • TrudeauIsSantaTrudeauIsSanta Member Posts: 161
    How the heck are you supposed to know that only using in-game info?
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    You read the description of the gem required and then figure things out for yourself. In the old days games allowed you to do that, they didn't hold your hand through everything.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    edited April 2016

How the heck are you supposed to know that only using in-game info?

There is in fact a hint leading you there.

You can find it in the Guarded Compound. It's vague, but it's something.

Also, as was said, old games had actual SECRETS, and didn't breadcrumb everything. Explore! Try out!
    Sceptenar said:

You read the description of the gem required and then figure things out for yourself. In the old days games allowed you to do that, they didn't hold your hand through everything.

In the old days, we got games like Castlevania 2.
    I cleared out the Guarded Compound. Didn't find anything suggesting this.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    edited April 2016

I cleared out the Guarded Compound. Didn't find anything suggesting this.

My apologies, it was actually part of one of the oldest mods that restored some content and tied up loose ends. Many of those are actually included in the EE as well, but not that one.

So I guess yeah, you just need to find it on your own now. Old school.
  • naggertnaggert Member Posts: 65
    IIRC the door actually has some sort of description if you click it.... A description that will surely make you think and wonder...
    edited April 2016
    And I actually also seem to remember finding a note / overhearing a conversation somewhere... But I can't recall where...
    Post edited by naggert on
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Setting a bunch of traps around your immediate entry point is a solid tactic, btw...
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    naggert said:

And I actually also seem to remember finding a note / overhearing a conversation somewhere... But I can't recall where...

Me too, and i always play without mods...
    naggert said:

IIRC the door actually has some sort of description if you click it.... A description that will surely make you think and wonder...

Kind of why I came here to ask. It isn't a riddle.
    Daevelon said:

naggert said:

Me too, and i always play without mods...
    If either of you find this specific reference in-game, be sure to let me know where and when (chapter, day or night, triggered on rest or not, random encounter, etc.)
    Yeah I'll make sure to mention it if I find it.
    I remember myself thinking "ahh, that makes the Twisted Rune area obvious - it's a clear link".
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    I discovered it randomly when I first played the game 15years ago.
    The thing is that it takes a rogue stone to enter, and being French, I had the game in French language, and while they gave a specific translation to all others occurences of this gem (It was "Esseulite") but when I clicked on the door it said it took a "pierre des voleurs" which is a litteral translation for "Rogue Stone". I had thought it was called this way in French because there was one in Mae'Var Guildhall, and thought so till I actually played the game in English.

These secrets (others would be Guarded compound, or Kangaxx, etc...) were here for real adventurers that would explore everything in every area.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    I like the way the spoilers become progressively more spoilery with each post...
  • rashkaerashkae Member Posts: 179
    edited April 2016
    Hmm, I thought entry to that 'place', with instructions, was part of the Human Skin Quest line.

Edit: Ooops,, I too must have found that via a restored content mod back in the day,, pls ignore.
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    I was watching someone streaming BG2 playing for the 1st time, didn't spoil them anything and let them enter the house since they had the stone. Was fun :p