Skip to content

[ToB] Help with Abizagal -- I can't has spells?

I'm struggling a bit with the Abizagal encounter in Throne of Bhaal. Currently my party is Charname (Kensai), Sarevok, Korgan, Viconia, Hexxat, and Neera.

The issue I'm having is that for all intents and purposes after Abizagal turns into his dragon form I no longer have access to my spellcasting. Even with no visible debuff, Neera will often simply say that she "Lost her spell" -- and when I do manage to get a spell off, such as Timestop, time is not stopped for Abizigal. Essentially I'm just suiciding by casting it because when I Timestop my party gets frozen and allows him to just run around and kill everyone freely.

Timestop is the main tool I've been using to defeat bosses and difficult encounters, but seeing as it apparently can't be used in this fight, I'm struggling to find a successful strategy. Abizigal does so much damage, I pretty much only have a few seconds to try to take him down with melee weapons, and I haven't gotten even close to managing it so far.

Any tips?

Thanks.

Comments

• kodaColliderkodaCollider Member Posts: 23
    I've tried this fight probably 40 times today.

Starting to think it might be bugged or something.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Hi there
    I don't really know why your spells aren't working, so I'll suggest some simple tactics that might work. First of all , do you have SCS installed? If not , try this one:

1- Bait : Have a fighter attack Abazigal so he can wing buffet the fighter. Meanwhile, Neera should cast protection from magic weapons or stoneskin (she could buff herself) and protection from lightining , and attack abazigal . He won't be able to hurt her as long as she remains buffed.

While he tries to destroy neera your other fighters can whirlwind attack abazigal to death, or at least damage him good.
    I'm not sure what SCS is, and when I had cast Protection From Magic Weapons on Neera prior to his shape-change she no longer had the buff after he assumed dragon form, but I did finally manage to clear this using Mordenkainen's Sword and the tactic you mentioned above.

It still took me 5-6 tries after I had her memorize that spell, and I had a whole 2 HP left on my successful attempt, but I got it.

Jeeze, what a tough fight. Hoping that my spells and/or Timestop go back to working from here on out.

Thanks for the help!
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    Just a tip, but a lot of the big bosses in TOB are immune to Time Stop. You might want to find a new tactic for future fights =)
    Thanks, it sounds like I might need to do that.

I feel like I'm sort of hitting a plateau though. My characters are all level 25-30 and I'm not getting much for new levels, plus everyone is decked out in +4/+5 weapons and armor so I'm struggling to find new ways to be successful given that now all of my high level spells are becoming obsolete as well.
  • RobertMcDuckRobertMcDuck Member Posts: 133
    Pteran said:

Just a tip, but a lot of the big bosses in TOB are immune to Time Stop. You might want to find a new tactic for future fights =)

Balthaazar ain't

• lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited April 2016
    The fight is tricky as Abazigal's special attacks cause shock waves, tremors and falling debris that may cause spell failure. Protect your casters with stoneskin+mirror image+pro from lightning+spell turning or trap plus spell immunity:abjuration to protect from dispel/remove magic. Use sequencers, triggers and contingencies. Buff your fighters with pro from electricity, hardiness and improved haste. Do not forget remove fear! Summon planetar and elemental princes. Do not use time stop as it will give Abazigal an advantage. Use planetar, improved alacrity, dragons breath instead.
  • matricematrice Member Posts: 86
    edited April 2016
    don't forget to cast shield on your mage, it makes them immune to buffet

EDIT: Spell shield !
    Post edited by matrice on
    matrice said:

Really?
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    matrice said:

What is this sorcery!?? I've never heard of this before. If it's true, that's amazing news!
  • matricematrice Member Posts: 86
    Spell shield, my bad, not just shield (would be too strong ^^)
    matrice said:

Spell shield, my bad, not just shield (would be too strong ^^)

Still, that's amazing news! You should post that on the "Did You know..?" topic.
  • FoggyFoggy Member Posts: 297
    Spell Shield, the level 5 abjuration spell protects against Wing Buffet, as well as the Anti-Magic Rays cast by Beholders.

Abazigal has the Tail Slap ability, it is a scripted action, thus it still resolves during the TimeStop effect. So the timestop not working is not a bug, but a "feature". Several scripted actions are automatically cast thus they can be cast even during that Timestop. For example: mind flayer psionics, dragon tail slash, golem slow/haste and adamantine golem's gas cloud.

Neera's Protection from Normal Weapons disappearing is certainly not a bug. The spell duration is 4 rounds only so it wears down after 24 seconds in real life.

- Stoneskin, Remove Fear with the usual clerics Protection Against Evil 10 Radius/Death Ward/Chaotic Command prebuffs
    - Have Contingency/Spell Sequencer/Spell Trigger filled with Breach, Lower Resistance, Greater Malison
    - Dragon Breath against trash mob surrounding the boss
    - Activate the Hardiness HLA, Abazigal is a Fighter class and hits like a truck in both his forms
    - Improved Haste, Protection from Magic Weapons, also Protection from the Elements
    - Chain Contingency: Abi Dalzim's HW x3 is always a winner
    - Improved Alacrity, Mordekainen's Sword, Summon Planetar and Comet works real well against all bosses including Abazigal
    - Absolute Immunity, Dispel Magic, Ruby Ray of Reversal, Spellstrike as you see fit
    - Simulacrum then Spelltrap combo to replenish spells

For other tough fights:
    Shapechange: Mindflayer followed by Timestop is great against anyone non immune to timestop.
    Skull Trap and Melf's Minute Meteor are still good magic spells, as is Magic Missile, mostly to interrupt the casters.