Skip to content

SoD and Future Realmslore Canon

I'd especially like to hear from any Beamdog folks, but ...

Has WotC confirmed that future Forgotten Realms source books or novels can/will reference the story of the Silver Lady and the events involving her crusade within discussions/descriptions of the Sword Coast area? I ask because these events are essentially things being inserted into the back-history of the Realms, and I was under the impression that WotC was nowadays opposed to allowing the writing of back-history for the Realms - for example not allowing novel authors to write in the past of the timeline, especially the far-past.

Comments

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I'm not sure I can totally answer your question, but WoTC have in the past been happy for writers to use storiess and plots that were not canon to forgotten realms. Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 are examples of popular stories that are *NOT* canon.
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    I haven't seen Wizards of the Coast say a word about whether SoD is considered canon, so there'd be that hurdle to overcome before we'd reach the question of whether anybody else is allowed to "officially" mention it in novels/sourcebooks. On the other hand, WotC did sign off on SoD being produced in the first place so perhaps it signifies a "loosening" of the control-freakery that seemed to come out from time to time in their administration of the Realms over the last 7-8 years.

• kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    ajwz said:

I'm not sure I can totally answer your question, but WoTC have in the past been happy for writers to use storiess and plots that were not canon to forgotten realms. Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 are examples of popular stories that are *NOT* canon.

That's really interesting that the events of the NwN games are not considered canon. I had never heard that.
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    jsaving said:

I haven't seen Wizards of the Coast say a word about whether SoD is considered canon, so there'd be that hurdle to overcome before we'd reach the question of whether anybody else is allowed to "officially" mention it in novels/sourcebooks. On the other hand, WotC did sign off on SoD being produced in the first place so perhaps it signifies a "loosening" of the control-freakery that seemed to come out from time to time in their administration of the Realms over the last 7-8 years.

Yeah because WotC was fully onboard I expect they may count it as canon. But I'm more interested in whether that will amount to anything, such as the crusade being mentioned in future "FR campaign setting" or "history of the Realms" types of publications. Obviously right now there's no mention of anything associated with that intervening year in any of the source books I've read to my recollection as well as in the "official" BG series novels.