Skip to content

[Spoiler] I can't decide what to do during siege of Bridgefort.

If I surrender:
-A lot of life will be spare
-People of Bridgefort lost their home and resources, our army lost advantage
-Jegg and other NPC disappear
-Miss the good loots
-Some NPC will upset

If I attack:
-A lot of good people die, including the crusaders. Although they are enemies I don't think they are evil and deserve to die
-People of Bridgefort and the resources remain, our army gain great advantage
-Jegg will forge special armor for M'Khiin
-Can get some good loot
-NPC such as The Irregular will be pleased and reward me

Besides that, I wonder what are the consequences in later game. I hope to solve this entire crusade conflict as peaceful as possible and the enemies now will become friend if I spare them or do not fight with them.

Comments

• DisgruntlerDisgruntler Member Posts: 100
    It has been stated that the supplies in the fort allow Caelar to field more Crusaders when your army inevitably clashes with hers.
    What this means for amount of lives lost is clear.
    Just kill them all now. You want an RP motivation? Defeating Caelars forces early and hard weakens their morale, which makes the following battles easier, discourages people from joining and saves the lives of your soldiers.
    It also means that your army has an easier time reaching the coalition camp, because a major road block was cleared, your troops don't have to worry about being taken from behind or having their supply lines harassed.

Furthermore, the Crusaders already blew up a bridge before. Taking them by surprise is the best chance to stop them from doing so again.

Just kill them!
  • IldunIldun Member Posts: 34
    edited April 2016

It has been stated that the supplies in the fort allow Caelar to field more Crusaders when your army inevitably clashes with hers.

But we had destroy the supplies, and they retreat from the fortress, which make them gain no advantage.

Just kill them all now. You want an RP motivation? Defeating Caelars forces early and hard weakens their morale, which makes the following battles easier, discourages people from joining and saves the lives of your soldiers.

Perhaps, perhaps not. They might use this incident as propaganda, accuse me as evil Bhaalspawn who butcher their people, encourage people to join their crusade.

That's why I'm trying not to kill good people, not only to prove them wrong, but also to save as many people as possible. This might be war and my action might cost more life. But who can certain for the future?

But then...this is a game, if those crusaders who survive the siege of Bridgefort show up in last battle, fighting against me no matter what,I might as well just kill them now.
    Post edited by Ildun on
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I had such a dilemma , too. But then I remembered that the half orcs back in the camp said that Barghest was a cruel lout, so I did not really believe in him when he said he would let us go peacefully.
    edited April 2016
    DJKajuru said:

I had such a dilemma , too. But then I remembered that the half orcs back in the camp said that Barghest was a cruel lout, so I did not really believe in him when he said he would let us go peacefully.

He will. In fact if you choose to betray people of Bridgefort and lower the bridge. He will tell you that he "use to be" a cruel warrior until he met Shining Lady who redeem him. Thus he will honor his promise in the name of Caelar.
  • DisgruntlerDisgruntler Member Posts: 100
    The crusaders are not innocents. Baldurs Gate is packed with refugees who lost nearly everything but their lifes.
    If the crusade really would be majorly a force for good, people wouldn't run from them. The crusade pillages, burns and loots.
    At best you could make the case that the ends of Caelar justify the means of her crusaders.

I actually did not remember that you can destroy the supplies before surrendering. But why? Those supplies either feed lots of refugees or the Flaming Fist marching north.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Kill them - kill them ALL!!!

The crusaders are not innocents. Baldurs Gate is packed with refugees who lost nearly everything but their lifes.
    If the crusade really would be majorly a force for good, people wouldn't run from them. The crusade pillages, burns and loots.
    At best you could make the case that the ends of Caelar justify the means of her crusaders.

I actually did not remember that you can destroy the supplies before surrendering. But why? Those supplies either feed lots of refugees or the Flaming Fist marching north.

Because it is impossible to secretly transport those supplies away, so they have to destroy them on the spot.

I believe those who pillages, burns, loots or even killing innocent are evil mercenaries or fanatics.

And their ultimate goal is to save souls from hell, so they thought those suffering are just temporarily.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Ildun said:

DJKajuru said:

He will. In fact if you choose to betray people of Bridgefort and lower the bridge. He will tell you that he "use to be" a cruel warrior until he met Shining Lady who redeem him. Thus he will honor his promise in the name of Caelar.
    Actually , I said we would surrender and the crusaders agreed, but I also told khalid we would open the gates and attack because I feared that we would be in disavantage by following the barghest's instructions. I had never commanded a castle before , I was nervous! War sucks, though.
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    DJKajuru said:

Actually , I said we would surrender and the crusaders agreed, but I also told khalid we would open the gates and attack because I feared that we would be in disavantage by following the barghest's instructions.

Heh, this was mainly designed to be a tactical subterfuge - to launch an attack while enemy officers are gathered together on the front.
  • RezkallaRezkalla Member Posts: 20
    I can't do either unless I just attack the crusaders on my own. Khalid has disappeared and I don't know whom to talk to. The Barghest just tells me to get back to work so I can't negotiate a surrender. Neither can I find - forget the name - to tell him his sister died. That's a minor side quest.
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    It is possible that khalid gets killed by the rock that level drains everyone if you recruited him at the Friendly Arm and then left him there at lvl 1, I thought it was fixed but maybe not.
  • namarienamarie Member Posts: 52
    Rezkalla said:

I can't do either unless I just attack the crusaders on my own. Khalid has disappeared and I don't know whom to talk to. The Barghest just tells me to get back to work so I can't negotiate a surrender. Neither can I find - forget the name - to tell him his sister died. That's a minor side quest.

Ummm... Have you tried going to the façade of the keep? The guard you need to find is out there.
    I think I found Khalid there as well
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    For my charname (EEkeepered half-orc ranger cleric), I went with the idea that when war has broken out, both sides have given up the moral highground. RP wise when he was dragged into the whole crusade mess, his goal was to end the conflict as quickly as possible with as little life lost as possible. So we surrendered the keep and destroyed the supplies to prevent Caelar from fielding more troops in the future, which also preserved lives on both sides.
  • namarienamarie Member Posts: 52

For my charname (EEkeepered half-orc ranger cleric), I went with the idea that when war has broken out, both sides have given up the moral highground. RP wise when he was dragged into the whole crusade mess, his goal was to end the conflict as quickly as possible with as little life lost as possible. So we surrendered the keep and destroyed the supplies to prevent Caelar from fielding more troops in the future, which also preserved lives on both sides.

Interesting. I might have failed the RP since my NG Charname just decided to reveal his identity to that crusader mage and proceeded to wipe out the entire camp... That being said, Corwin did tell me that "failing that, just kill as many crusaders as you can"... Oh well

Just out of curiosity though, after you surrendered the keep, how did the Fists respond to your decision? Did Duncan or Corwin doubt/endorse your action? Any Rep gain/loss?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    No rep change, Khalid wasn't too happy with me, Corwin only grumbled a little if I recall (my last playthrough was a couple months ago).
  • CARV3RCARV3R Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 23
    edited September 2016
    I'm an achievement whore so I eventually reloaded my chapter 9 save and surrendered Bridgefort so that Delgar Munsch isn't killed and appears at Dragonspear after you decline Ashatiel's 1v1 offer (1/4th of the 'All the Enemies' Steam achievement).
    Post edited by CARV3R on