Skip to content

Classic Games you may like, if you like Baldur's Gate

OnestepOnestep Member Posts: 225
So I'm just going to post a few older games that you guys might like, if you liked Baldur's Gate. Feel free to post some ideas of your own. Obviously, no Infinity Engine stuff. I'm presuming everybody knows about Icewind Dale and the like. Try and keep it relatively old. Games that came out in the past decade or so probably got more advertisement. Unless they didn't, in which case throw them in. I am.

Quest for Glory: A fun adventure/puzzle/RPG story that spans five games. You play as a Nameless Hero, who picks up a Hero Wanted Ad to save the town of Spielburg. Things kind of escalate from there. The setting is great, each of the three classes has different ways to solve problems (and you can multiclass), and there's even some romance. I'd highly advise you give it a shot. You can buy it at GOG.

Growlanser IV: A slightly more foreign game this time. Growlanser IV: Wayfarer of Time, was released in the US on the PSP as a port from Japan. It got basically no advertisement. Which is a real shame, as it's very good. The background art is very reminiscent of Baldur's Gate, but character sprites and art are far more Japanese. Combat is a fun mix of real time and turn-based, and the game itself is just great. Of note is just how much you can affect the story. Numerous characters live or die depending on your choices, and there are 46 endings. That's right. 46. Try and 100% that in a week. Harder to get hold of. You might have to look online.

Jade Empire: The Bioware game you've never heard of. A sprawling Kung-Fu adventure through a fantasy China. Tons of different martial art styles, a plot with some major twists and turns, and well-developed characters will keep you intrigued the whole time. Might be a little harder to get hold off.

Arcanum Of Steamworks and Magicka Obscura: Otherwise known as Fallout's Steampunk brother. Set in world where magic and technology are fundamentally opposed forces (with an excellent in-universe justification for such), Arcanum is a game that got far less recognition than it's more well-known brother. Which is a real shame, as it's an incredible game. A massive world to explore, with a huge number of quests, factions, companions and characters. You can pick it up at GOG.

Robin Hood The Legend of Sherwood Forest: Less of an RPG, more of a tactical third person squad management. This game has you stepping into the shoes of (you guessed it) Robin Hood, as he fights to oppose the Sheriff and restore the Rightful King of England to the throne. The game is very fun, and requires some thought and management of resources, particularly early game.

AutequiDJKajuru

Comments

• AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,295
    I would recommend the old goldbox SSI series of D&D games. Very good and nice tactical combat - better than BG 1 without TotSC.

Also the Ultima series is really excellent up to the eight game.
    Vallmyr
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870

Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader
    While not a game for everyone (being somewhat a derailed Diablo clone), I can still recommend it for IE lovers. The setting of merged humans with various types of spirits within the Middle Age was rather fascinating. Although my favourite aspect of this game were its goblin Mongols with their macabre bardish talents. That being said, the strongest point of Lionheart is probably its music.