Skip to content

Max HP

fanestfanest Member Posts: 15
edited September 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
Will we have IWD like tick box somewhere in the settings so that we can get max hp or will i have to modify this myself?

Comments

• O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Optional max HP option would be nice. Note that I said "optional".
  • AurenRavidelAurenRavidel Member Posts: 139
    @ZelgadisGW I agree. Optional's the key word here. Although I'd wager the majority of BG gamers are currently re-rolling via savegames when their HP rolls are bad. It's one of the aspects of 2nd Edition rules which is just terrible - your 9th level fighter could conceivable have less HP than his 9th level thief counterpart if his luck is bad enough.
    @AurenRavidel True, but I prefer taking risk to playing easy way. Besides, it's boring when your beloved party always looks the same, don't you think?
    I *do* like having some variety with the HP totals of various classes, yes. I just think the variety should be a bit smaller. Perhaps something more along the lines of.

Wizards 1d2+2 hp/level
    Thieves 1d3+3 hp/level
    Priests 1d4+4 hp/level
    Warriors 1d5+5 hp/level

Rolling 1hp for levelups, especially at lower levels, is just too punishing.
  • fanestfanest Member Posts: 15
    well if u are planning co-op rerolling via savegames is practically out of the question cuz it ruins gameplay thats why i think this really should be optional in settings;

btw AurenRavidel i like your idea :D but its D&D rules so ....
    It's not punishing, it's reallity. You have to adjust to it. Sometimes, you roll big, sometimes small. It's natural.
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    Lower difficulty settings before levelling up, on normal and lower you get max hp. Reset to core rules (or whatever difficulty you're playing on) after level up.
    Ehhh...not sure it's reality, Zelg. I mean, your 18/00 Str, 15 Con Fighter rolls a 1 for hp at first level and his halfling thief comrade with 16 Con rolls max hp. So now you've got Frodo with 8 hp and a big, hulking warrior with 2 hp. I guess you could always RP him as having brittle bone disease...

Anyways, I'd like to see the max hp feature as an option.
    @lansounet hmm i never tried this tbh, although i played through 5 times :P
    i hope this diff changing doest affect anything else?
    On first level you got maximum HP. Always. I guess you haven't played vanilla BG1 for a while, I am right? :)

Oh, I'm just saiyan'. Have this max HP as an toggable option. That way the most people would be happy.
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    @fanest Here's the BG2 string for difficulty slider
    This slider controls the difficulty level of the game. The settings are as follows: INSANE (far right): all monsters do double damage. HARD (middle right): All monsters do 50% more damage CORE RULES (middle): Baldur's Gate 1 rules apply NORMAL (middle left): All hit point rolls are maximum, characters cannot permanently die, all spells learned automatically, monsters do three quarters damage NOVICE (far left): Same as Normal mode and the monsters only do half damage.

You can change it at anytime. So as I said above, you can just bring it down for level-up and back up after.
    thx alot i guess i will resort to this solution then if there wont be toggable option.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited September 2012
    I can see why some people would want to play on Core Rules but also want max HP per level, thus the need for a check box so you don't have to toggle difficulty. I'm still up in the air on whether or not I want max HP's per level. I see it as being overpowered but at the same time this is a video game and there are many more enemies to fight than what you would see in PnP.

On first level you got maximum HP. Always. I guess you haven't played vanilla BG1 for a while, I am right? :)

Oh, I'm just saiyan'. Have this max HP as an toggable option. That way the most people would be happy.

No I have. Sorry, I was thinking less of BG and more of AD&D 2nd Edition rules at this time. Max hp was an optional rule at level 1 in that game. :)
  • OssiaNOssiaN Member Posts: 16
    +1
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    I like that people refer to reality when talking about AD&D rules...
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    A checkbox would be excellent. I want to play on Core so monsters deal full damage, but I also want max HP. It would be nice to not have to micromanage.
  • IntoTheDarknessIntoTheDarkness Member Posts: 118
    edited November 2012
    sorry, misposted.