Skip to content

max hp with core rules?

darksauriandarksaurian Member Posts: 42
I put the difficulty on core rules when I started a new game but I just noticed if I go to options the "max hp on level up" is on. Does that make sense? Shouldn't that have been off?

Comments

• RifkinRifkin Member Posts: 141
    edited May 2016
    I could be wrong, but I had thought that the Difficulty Setting bar reflects underlying Infinity Engine changes. Making the game Hard Core Ruleset changes the way the engine calculates everything. Beamdog has given some extra hooks into that code/engine I'm assuming, and these extra options you find in the settings are actually little overrides that can allow you to have more control. Say you want Hardcore Ruleset but still want Max HP? Now you can. Want Insane difficulty but stop it from making monsters do double damage? Now you can with "No difficulty based damage increase" or whatever it's called.

• darksauriandarksaurian Member Posts: 42
    Yeah but suppose I never looked at that screen. If I selected "core rules" I figured max HP would be off. I could get halfway through the game without realizing I was cheating.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I agree it's a stupid change.
  • darksauriandarksaurian Member Posts: 42
    I don't mind the option. Like whatever the default difficulty is, I think it would make sense there. But I went one higher at "core rules" which seems like original BG with failure to memorize spells, chunky permanent deaths, etc. You'd think that setting would have standard D&D rules, roll the dice to get HP at level up. MAX HP at level up on core rules seems wrong to me.

Then again when I started the game I hit reroll like 200 times until I got a 94 so I guess I'm being a hypocrite. Actually I quick save before spell memorization and I reload if it fails. Also I reload whenever somebody dies. Really I'm only pretending to play on core rules if I play that way but whatever.