Skip to content

does anybody else play rangers

Comments

• JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    They got the skill to SET TRAPS in Neverwinter Nights 2, not detect them, anyone could detect them, rogues were slightly better at it too.

What made them better was their Hide in Plain Sight in nature areas, though by the time you needed to use that, you were already spotted and your party was attacking. At least you could escape to revive your party another day!
  • jesterdesujesterdesu Member Posts: 373
    Rangers definitely have "search" which is the nwn version of detect traps. Guess it would not make the most sense to be able to lay them and then forget where you put them :lol:
    Gozetajackjack
    I mean they have search as a class skill. Rogues get certain bonuses to that skill that rangers don't and iirc are the only ones who can detect the really high level traps.
    Gozeta
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    The first time I finished a full playthrough of BG2 and ToB was with a archer or it might of been a swashy I can't remember I do know I have finished the game as a archer though. I started a few Stalker playthroughs but they always felt like weaker versions of fighter/thieves so I never got really far with them. Never tried a beastmaster because I don't like using summons.

I do always have a ranger in my IWD parties because reasons.
    jesterdesuGozetaAerakar
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870

I abhor OD&D's and AD&D's Ranger. Plain and simple. They are nothing more than fanatically hamlet sheriffs with ego issues. Self-righteous, self-centric and walking genocides at its best. Pfeh!

Give me a hunter, poacher, forester, or an good ol' lumberjack any day of the week.

3 of those professions make their living from murder/ Wanton destruction of nature :disappointed: Are you an Orc?
    Rangers are far worse than all of those combined. Not even Blackguards would go as far as wanting to drive whole groups of animals and monsters to extinction. Or oppressing others with their childish "Hero Syndrome". Worst of all is that they even try to justify their killing sprees. Such folk would be jailed real fast nowadays.

And I'm no Orc. I'm a Pudding.
    Gozetajackjackmashedtaters
    Iirc "Pudding" is not on the list of favoured enemies, so you ought to be fine in the upcoming ranger led purge.
    ButtercheeseSkatan
    Isn't pudding one of the other names for a slime of some sort? Are slimes on the list?
    Kamigoroshijackjackjesterdesu
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388

Isn't pudding one of the other names for a slime of some sort? Are slimes on the list?

No one is an enemy of pudding. You monster.

Pudding is love. Pudding is life.

All hail Okosan, the Pudding God. Pudi, Pudi, Pudi.
    I was at the gym the other night and Full House came on the TV. Stephanie was going on a date with this guy who had a band. At the end of the episode they performed their song "Human Pudding." This reminded me of that episode lol.
    Skatan
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108

I abhor OD&D's and AD&D's Ranger. Plain and simple. They are nothing more than fanatically hamlet sheriffs with ego issues. Self-righteous, self-centric and walking genocides at its best. Pfeh!

Give me a hunter, poacher, forester, or an good ol' lumberjack any day of the week.

3 of those professions make their living from murder/ Wanton destruction of nature :disappointed: Are you an Orc?
    Rangers are far worse than all of those combined. Not even Blackguards would go as far as wanting to drive whole groups of animals and monsters to extinction. Or oppressing others with their childish "Hero Syndrome". Worst of all is that they even try to justify their killing sprees. Such folk would be jailed real fast nowadays.

Say what now?

Say what now?
    He said he's a pudding, a human pudding ;)

• ZilberZilber Member Posts: 253
    I play a ranger now because I had never done the ranger stronghold before.
    jackjack
  • BladeDancerBladeDancer Member Posts: 477
    My main OC of Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition is a Ranger (Archer kit), and I find them to be very overpowered when it comes to the use of crossbows, longbows, shortbows, whatever missile launcher you make them proficient with.
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    I don't play them in BG because I don't think it fits the characters history growing up cloistered in Candlekeep. I always have one in IWD and my main character in NWN 2 had ranger levels as I thought it fit the background well.

I tend to make a character class that fits their background. For BG, just about anything but Druid ranger or barbarian fits imo
  • magisenseimagisensei Member Posts: 316
    Growing up in Candlekeep doesn't mean that you were cloistered like a nun; it just means that you grew up in a more educated place full of magical tomes and a ton of books; Imoen is a thief and she sneaks around in and out of Candlekeep while you as a wanna be ranger also did the same thing (rangers get sneaking) but instead of being a thief you who happen to enjoy the outside become a ranger instead. Candlekeep is a relatively secluded area and its not that big a leap to suggest that your PC wandered the woods and lakes around Candlekeep enjoying nature and wanting to preserve it plus with the added bonus of being in Candlekeep with all the lore you could read it even if there were no rangers around - but I think Gorion would get a tutor for you if you showed an interest in such things.

Now if you wanted to be a barbarian or possible a race specific kit like Dwarven Defender - now that would be a harder story to make - since you are living in Candlekeep - the greatest library in Faerun and not with barbarians or dwarves.
    Buttercheesemashedtaters
  • TheGreatKhanTheGreatKhan Member Posts: 106
    Aren't there several forest and wilderness areas surrounding the isolated Candlekeep? I don't see why this is a problem.
    Buttercheesemashedtaters
    Well, the thing is, it's hinted that when you leave Candlekeep at the start of the game that that moment is the first time you've been past the walls since you were brought to Candlekeep. And you weren't brought as a young child like Imoen, you've been in there for all your memory.
  • magisenseimagisensei Member Posts: 316
    It does say that you haven't left the walls of Candlekeep at the start - but I take that to mean I never passed beyond of the boundaries of Candlekeep borders not the physical wall of the keep but the land that belongs to the keep surrounding it. Its kinda hard to imagine Gorion being that protective of you that he wouldn't let you outside the walls or that you even as a good character would not be somewhat curious about what lay beyond the outside of the walls of the keep. Plus at the beginning of the story the PC is 20years old not 13 so its hard to imagine you not wanting to explore your world in some way even if you haven't traveled far enough to lose sight of the keep in the distance.
    BelleSorciereArdul
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    I love Rangers and always like to play them where the system allows... My only problem in bg is that I can't help but feel that the base class should have been closer to the Stalker kit... But with charm animal intact and without the silly arcane spells.
    Aerakarjesterdesumashedtaters
  • Sids1188Sids1188 Member Posts: 165
    But in order to return inside the walls, you have to donate a rare book. Doesn't matter if they know who you are, or if you've lived there your whole life. Maybe Gorion's influence could let you ignore those rules sometimes (considering they turned their backs on a desperate acquaintance who lived there and who's parent just got murdered, they're pretty strict on that sort of thing), but it seems that staying within the walls is pretty standard for the residents.

If I recall, there are quite a few references throughout to leaving 'the walls of Candlekeep'. Seems pretty specific.
    JuliusBorisovmashedtaters
  • MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731
    edited May 2016
    As you are Lv1 every niche class (dwarven defender, ranger, blade, monk, etc, etc) can be explained as a Don Quixote rip-off. You read so much about class X that you want to emulate them, know everything about it and such.

I cannot think of any class that cannot be explained easily by this. But please prove me wrong :-) I will use the "clerical powers come from within charname's own essence and he is deluded and believes it comes from God X" if I need to :-)

I find it much more difficult to justify an elven charname given he is 20 years old, though

Also, I would pick Jan Jansen as Sancho Panza. Would make a good book.
    jackjackmashedtatersGoturalBlackraven
    MacHurto said:

I find it much more difficult to justify an elven charname given he is 20 years old, though

Well the way I read it (in later editions, at least,) and the way I've come to feel/accept it, is that an elf's body matures at the same rate as a humans (same for dwarves and possibly gnomes,) but because of the society you're raised in, you're not consider an adult until after you hit 100 or so years. Since Gorion's Ward is raised by humans and around humans, s/he would think themselves as an adult around 20-ish years, like humans would, even though in elvish society they would still be considered children.
    semiticgoddess
    edited May 2016
    why would a perfectly able adult be considered a child for 80 more years? Thats a total waste. How can elves accept being treated as children for 80 years when they are, in fact, adults? I find it hard to wrap my head around it, even for D&D. A race that lives 1000+ years whose infancy is 100 years is a stretch (I mean, what takes them 100 years to learn or to develop? How can have they survived in an environment as competitive as FR with several sentient races?) but I can suspend my disbelief. Them being fully capable adults and still acting/being considered children for 80 years is a bit too much :-D

The only explanation I can think of is that Bhaal's essence makes all spawn to grow at a similar rate. Drow, human, elf, dragon... That would also explain why Sarevok realises you are a bhaalspawn and "have all the signs". I wonder how Gorion has bullshitted his way through that one with an elf Charname, though. It is also lucky Bhaal didnt mate with a hamster or the growth rate for all charnames would be freakish!
    Gotural
    edited May 2016
    Because physical and emotional/intellectual maturity are two different things. For humans, with their short life span, they believe its best to settle down into a society function as quickly as possible, which forces upon them a level of maturity that it would be hard to find in other races. For elves, with their huge lifespan, believe there is more time for one to spend "in their youth," learning and playing as they go, rather than forcing them into a path.

Of course, naturally, there are exceptions to the rules. It wouldn't be D&D if there weren't exceptions to the rules.
    jackjackSmilingSword
    If I understand your point correctly, elves can mature quickly mentally (as charname) but they do not because elven society imposes they act like children for 80 more years, even if fully grown. To me that makes no sense as I dont see how that benefits elves, both as a society and as individuals. But hey, I am just a human so what do I know :-)
    Gotural
    True that! We're all just humans, and we can't even make sense of ourselves, much less elves or dwarves or gods forbid, gnomes!
    jackjackGotural
    I always looked at the elves being considered children thing the same as your grandparents/great grandparents looking upon you as a child. It's the "Well I have a far greater amount of life experience, you're a child compared to me."

If a 200 year old elf and a 900 year old elf got into an argument, you can bet that the age card would be played. "You'll understand when you're older."
    JumboWheat01Blackraven
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    MacHurto said:

If I understand your point correctly, elves can mature quickly mentally (as charname) but they do not because elven society imposes they act like children for 80 more years, even if fully grown. To me that makes no sense as I dont see how that benefits elves, both as a society and as individuals. But hey, I am just a human so what do I know :-)

That's not how it works - elves don't behave like children for an additional 80 years. They have the freedom, for their first century of life, to not have to adopt adult responsibilities. That doesn't mean they never do or that they behave like children or even are necessarily treated like children.