Skip to content

Temple of Elemental Evil + Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura Scroll Bug

VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
edited February 2014 in Off-Topic
Greetings comrades and compatriots! Awhile back when I tried out Arcanum for the first time, I ran into an annoying issue where I could not scroll down in any UI element that required doing so at all, using the mouse wheel or the arrows to do so. I installed a mod/patch awhile back that supposedly fixed it but it never really fully fixed that issue (or others I had with the game) which eventually led to me stopping my gameplay and moving on.

I plan to get back to it eventually.

In any case, I finally got around to trying out Temple of Elemental Evil and I must say, I am enjoying the character creation screen so far - at least, except for one annoying issue. I have the same bug as described above. I found out soon after that it uses a modified version of Arcanum's engine and deduced that that must be the ultimate source of my maladies.

In any case, with that bit of information - is anyone knowledgeable enough with these games and their engine to perhaps point me in the direction of a potential fix? I'd surely be appreciative for any such aid.

Many thanks and appreciation for taking the time to read my little plea for assistance. Cheers and all that :)

PS - Installed Circle of Eight Modpack, and it actually broke it worse o.o; I cannot see what my stats are when I apply points to them, the box that usually has the stat's abbreviation in it is just blank.

Comments

• VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
    Man, am I surprised to see thus far I am the only one with this issue o.o
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    I didnt fully understand your issue, you are unable to scroll down? In menus? What language is your keyboard on?
    edited March 2014
    When attempting to scroll at all in any menu screen, the scroll will instantly (and constantly) try to scroll itself all the way to the bottom or the top. Sometimes it won't even scroll at all. The mouse scroll wheel, or the arrows on the scroll bar of the UI element will not respond (or they will respond but are obviously not as fast as the auto scrolling down/up). I have a normal old US English keyboard. It is a very strange issue.

Edit: Essentially, as soon as your cursor enters the area that can scroll up or down (a large list of options or items), and one attempts to scroll down or up either via the mouse or the keyboard, it will automatically begin scrolling up or down at a rapid speed and there seems to be no way to correct it. As soon as the mouse enters it just keeps scrolling and won't stop. This is the case for ToEE, and Arcanum behaves very similarly.
    Post edited by Varwulf on
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    You might want to ask over at the Circle of Eight forums. They're probably more familiar with the engine.
    edited March 2014
    Their forum seems to be particularly archaic. I created an account and cannot comment or do anything with it, nor did I receive any email requiring me to confirm my email address or anything of the sort. Do I have to wait until one of the moderators sees my account and activates it or something? I've never signed up for a forum that was quite so--strict and strange.

Well, I'm in now at least lol. Now we play the waiting game :)
    Post edited by Varwulf on
  • AllyxAllyx Member Posts: 47
    Varwulf, did you ever fix your issue with Temple of Elemental Evil? I have been a modder at Circle of Eight for about 13 years and have not heard of anyone else having this issue. Did you add any patches to your installation at all?
    Allyx said:

Varwulf, did you ever fix your issue with Temple of Elemental Evil? I have been a modder at Circle of Eight for about 13 years and have not heard of anyone else having this issue. Did you add any patches to your installation at all?

Allyx, thanks for replying, I forgot all about this post lol. Essentially it boiled down to Windows not playing nice with a program I use to utilize the same keyboard and mouse on multiple machines. It may have been a driver issue, but plugging a mouse into the machine with the games installed on it resolves issue. I am just going to blame M$ since they've only worsened the problem with Windows 10 :). Thanks for checking up on me just the same, sorry for not updating this post sooner.