Skip to content

7 legged spider

I had cleared the Forest of Wyrms, including both caves, before picking up Neera and I did not encounter a 7 legged spider in the spider cave, nor did the large beetle leave a shell behind,( mentioned in a walkthrough). I went back to the spider cave w/ Neera but there was no activity, Neera just called out "spiders please" the whole time in the cave. Did I miss out on getting the 7 legged spider leg for her potion ?

Comments

• brotherboobrotherboo Member Posts: 48
    Also I found some spider silk in the spider/beetle cave, anyone know what it's used for?
  • QueegonQueegon Member Posts: 363
    @brotherboo a quest item for one of the NPCs
    Khalid asks for it together with a certain gem to make a necklace for Jaheira

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited May 2016
    The 7 legged spider is easy to miss in a crowd of other spiders. Did you use the auto-loot feature? There may be an issue with the leg despawning if you leave it a few days.

As for the beetle, I dunno, never known it not drop a shell, however, remember thst some spells can destroy loot. Chromatic Orb is one.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,194
    There is a trigger for spawning rhino beetle IIRC, in the room to the west.

I have Dynahier(?) using chromatic orb, that probably destroyed both the spider and beetle. I have to go back to a saved game and go through it again, thanks for your help.
    I went back to the begging of chapter 9 and re-played up to the spider's cave. This time I did get the beetle shell, but no 7 legged spider.
    Don't want to annoy folks so this is last comment on this subject. I replayed the spider cave several more times and I was able to get the beetle shell but no signs of a 7 legged spider. If someone has an answer please let me know. Further info, I tried to continue playing w/ Neera in my group, but everytime( after the spider cave), she made a comment my game crashed. I have no idea if the problems are related, I will continue to play but w/ out Neera :'(
  • ArcanisArcanis Member Posts: 377
    Well, I ran into that thing before I actually met Neera so I say what happend..
    I found the leg in one of the containers (I think it was on the west side) and after killing all other spiders and taking all eggs (plus the leg) the big, 7-legged one spawned.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,194
    If the leg is no longer there, you can create it with a console command- C:CreateItem("bdspider")
    I don't recall the 7 legged spider being any bigger than the others. I wonder if the spawn is affected by level/difficulty settings?
  • grassBladegrassBlade Member Posts: 31
    Replayed that area today. The leg is found after you kill the center (north) spiders. There is nothing remarkable about the spider itself (that I noticed).

@Fardragon: I played on core rules. I would assume the settings make no difference since the leg is a quest item for Neera.
    The spider is named "Seven Legged Spider" if you press tab, but otherwise is identical to the others.

It's just with @Arcanis talking about a "big" seven legged spider, I thought there might be a different, tougher version on higher difficulty settings.
  • LoreLore Member Posts: 114
    its all the way in the back (there is like 4 rooms and its the one in the middle back ) and it drops the leg after you kill it, no container.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited May 2016
    Fardragon said:

It's just with @Arcanis talking about a "big" seven legged spider, I thought there might be a different, tougher version on higher difficulty settings.

No, it's the same spider regardless of difficulty.

That said, it's easy to miss the spider leg, because
    you don't get Neera until Bridgefort. And the spider leg is for her quest, obviously.

The spider spawns without Neera, and who doesn't pick up everything?
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    Fardragon said:

The spider spawns without Neera,

It did for me. I'm sure it will for others, as well.
    Fardragon said:

and who doesn't pick up everything?

Very odd people.
  • doggydoggy Member Posts: 313
    If it is strange you always pick it up. Standard rule of BG. Also the reason my inventory is full of crap when I reach the end
    I finally got it ! Thanks for everyone's post
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    I didn't have neera but I found the silly spider leg and then carried it around the whole rest of SOD for no reason. Fun fact: it doesn't fit in a bag of holding so I just had the thing wasting an inventory space the whole time.
    Yeah, there a few quest items that annoyingly can't be placed in a bag of holding. :(