Skip to content

Been playing SoD finally... cool stuff!

I thought about just adding this to a separate topic but I just thought since it was positive it would probably work fine here, which is to say I've been playing Siege of Dragonspear and it's been quite fun! I wasn't really sure what to expect, but I'd say the game (or DLC rather) has been capturing what made BG such a fun series all those years ago.

Hearing the VAs and peoples from way ago and all that has been fun to, there's just a good mix of inter-referencing but also kind of new stuff, graphics, shiny things to play with to kind of make it all feel good for older and good players.

It's weird because I've played so many CRPGs that I kind of thought for some reason that sort of Baldur's Gate aesthetic had sort of disappeared or that it was so this big mystery that had evaporated, almost like the experience wasn't even real or something... I think that's because while many of the other CRPGs I played eventually would become sort of huge mega games I don't think a lot of people really know about the magic of BG so it's bit a secret haha! =-)

But having played SoD for awhile now I can confidently it was no mystery just a bunch of people passionate about CRPGs and fantasy games making something that would go the extra mile to entertain.

At any rate, I still have to finish this game but maybe there will be more games too in the same vein? Anyway so my review is simply that it's quite impressive I could go into more details as to the exact reasons but I think BG just shows really what happens you put a lot of effort into the details, individual encounters, mobs, drops, spells and how they're available, companion stats, in order to make it feel like a compelling a game, well I daresay it takes a lot of effort!

I'm not actually at the end, but yeah just wanted to say I definitely feel it captured the spirit of BG very well and personally I find the new companions and stuff to definitely at least be level as the original ones so it feels like this giant big party of BG fun.

Comments

• ArgyleArgyle Member Posts: 48
    I haven't finished yet either, but I am loving it so far. The following things stand out (no real spoilers):

Zaviak
    "Give me something to doooo"
    The bust of me
    crowded cities
    The new gooey sound effect for web spells
    auto-equip of shields when swapping 2H weapons
    the beautiful pool of water with sunray striking a tree in the cave
    All the new NPC's
    Skie
    Invisibility not so powerful anymore
    tough combats with better enemy AI
    Full control of character color scheme
    Compelling story which fits well with BG series

I haven't seen Narlen Darkwalk yet, however.