Skip to content

Pre-sales target "passed"!?!?!??!

gfm50gfm50 Member Posts: 124
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
I am not sure what specific benchmark number was hit there Trent, but it sounds good! Woot!

http://twitter.com/TrentOster

"Trent Oster ‏@TrentOster

@selectstartdrew pre-sales just passed my target."

Comments

• QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Sweet!
  • EpitomyofShynessEpitomyofShyness Member Posts: 113
    That is so awesome! YAY!
  • GypsySocksGypsySocks Member Posts: 40
    yes!!!!! ROCK ON TRENT!!!!
  • XensXens Member Posts: 12
    I read somewhere that they needed to sell 400,000 copies for BG:EE to be 'profitable' whatever that means, I can't imagine they've sold anywhere near that in preorders but I wonder how many they've sold so far. God I hope the game is going to sell enough to keep them on track for BG2 as well.
  • OYMEOYME Member Posts: 36
    At this rate, we'll see the big metal unit being mass produced :D
  • theJoshFrosttheJoshFrost Member Posts: 171
    Xens said:

I read somewhere that they needed to sell 400,000 copies for BG:EE to be 'profitable' whatever that means, I can't imagine they've sold anywhere near that in preorders but I wonder how many they've sold so far. God I hope the game is going to sell enough to keep them on track for BG2 as well.

BG2 EE is going to happen regardless of sales. They could sell 1 copy, and still have to do it because it's in their contract. On their AMAA, they said if they sold a couple hundred thousand copies of BOTH BG:EE and BG2:EE then... something would happen. I think thats the statistic you're referring to. Maybe.
  • LockLock Member Posts: 84
    edited September 2012
    This is good news, but didn't I also just read somewhere (one or two days ago) that pre-orders were somewhere above 2k copies?
  • HertzHertz Member Posts: 109
    People with forum pre-order badges number 2000, I hear. That doesn't mean 2000 copies were sold, only that 2000 people bothered to have the badge. I, for one, don't care about badges and didn't tie in my preorder to get it.
  • LockLock Member Posts: 84
    @Hertz Ah yes, that was it. I wonder what his target was? What do you think the percentage is of people who pre-ordered, signed up for the forums and requested the badge (if necessary) ? I'm thinking maybe 5-10%, which would put pre-orders at maybe 25,000 - 50,000.

/wild speculation
  • KortokKortok Member Posts: 165
    Really want this game to succeed, so this news makes me happy.
  • sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367
    Hopefully the Post-release sales do well too, particularly with Mac, iPad, and especially with Android (to prove that not everybody is a pirate).
  • WonKoWonKo Member Posts: 72
    Nice! Still a week to go.
  • HertzHertz Member Posts: 109
    I have no idea, @Lock. It's soap-bubble math. You can balance a calculation on it, but results can vary widely depending upon your assumptions.

15% of people got the badge: 13,333 sales
    7% of people got the badge: 28,571 sales
    4% of people got the badge: 50,000 sales
    1% of people got the badge: 200,000 sales.

By varying starting guesses 14%, you vary the end calculation 1500%.

And some unknown percentage of sales will only show up after the product is on the shelf. The wait-and-see buyers. That's where the devs' uncertainty lies: sales over time, return on advertising.
  • Metal_HurlantMetal_Hurlant Member Posts: 324
    Really happy for this.

@TrentOster so are you starting BG2:EE the week after next or taking a break? :)
  • PhyraxPhyrax Member Posts: 198
    I really hope they'll be taking a short break, they have worked their butts off!
  • KnettgummiKnettgummi Member Posts: 152
    Hertz said:

And some unknown percentage of sales will only show up after the product is on the shelf. The wait-and-see buyers. That's where the devs' uncertainty lies: sales over time, return on advertising.

Also, everyone who's playing on a non-Win platform...

• EidolonEidolon Member Posts: 99
    edited September 2012
    Really happy to hear this great news, and I hope it keeps selling well however. Baldur's Gate is a game that many people might have missed out on, and now is their chance to get their hands on the best RPG ever made. Looking forward to BG2:EE, and who knows maybe Planescape: Torment EE and other Infinity Games, but ultimately I'd love a Baldur's Gate III delivered with the same passion and depth as BG1 and BG2.
  • ScarsUnseenScarsUnseen Member Posts: 170
    @Knettgummi Yeah, I preordered for the PC, but I am also getting it for Android as soon as that becomes available, and I know at least one other person in the same boat.

I'm fairly optimistic on Overhaul's chances here.
  • Tr_ondTr_ond Member Posts: 496
    Excellent news, Now make a Linux version so i can buy even more copies.
  • sesobebosesobebo Member Posts: 10
    Tr_ond said:

Excellent news, Now make a Linux version so i can buy even more copies.

QFT
  • MusaabMusaab Member Posts: 92
    edited September 2012
    I preordered for PC, but am getting it on my Macbook Pro and New Ipad as well. :)
  • raywindraywind Member Posts: 289
    i would gess the number is something from 10-20k or so might be even that 10k from the forum ppl only because so many have bought multiple copies.
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    *begins taking a victory lap*
  • GilgalahadGilgalahad Member Posts: 237
    edited September 2012
    The bottom line is in the overall plan, they had goals set in order to factor in continuing the EE project for other games and they've reached it. I don't care about #'s at this point, the simple fact that their "goal" was reached is very encouraging to me. Since i studied game design and implementation and have been working on my own little mmo that i may not finish before i die(i'm old and bored so what else i am i supposed to do with my ridiculous amount of free time), you don't go into something like this without having planned 3-4 steps ahead, the last step i assume being BG:3. So all sounds good. Go team Overhaul lol.

If any of this makes no sense blame lack of sleep and my 1st cup of coffee not working it's mojo yet.
  • TetraploidTetraploid Member Posts: 252
    Yay! Super pleased that this is going well. May any future EEs (or dare we hope, BG3?) have equal success :D

(Shame on me, I haven't pre-ordered yet. If I get paid on Saturday, that'll be one more on the list!)
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    The point is that they set a goal in the business model for BG:EE and achieved it. That helps get licensing and the like for future items, as it shows that the business model for this project is solid. All of this makes BG III more possible, which will be great, as it will open new doors into the setting.
  • LekianLekian Member Posts: 108

One step closer to BGIII.

I really hope this is true. And if it is not BG3 make it "BGNext" as Trent Oster has already mentioned on Twitter.

I will be giving BGEE as a gift to my brother as soon as it is available for MAC.

I am also expecting a Tablet from Santa for Christmas as I have been a good boy this year :P I will purchase my Android copy as soon as he delivers it to me on the 25th December.

Well done Overhaul/ Beamdog, I am just so excited about BGEE!!
  • RexfaroensisRexfaroensis Member Posts: 134
    Whoop whoop! Have pre-purchased, and the number of pre-purchases will go up one more as soon as I get my new macbook. Go Overhaul!