Skip to content

Mass Effect and Windows 10?

GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
edited May 2016 in Off-Topic
Asking here, as this is my preferred group of knowledgable gamers :) EA effectively killed the ME boards as a useful community years ago.

I have so far been avoiding upgrading to Windows 10, as the main thing I use my Windows box for, since migrating to Apple, is to play the Mass Effect games. When Windows 10 first launched, there were apparently a bunch of issues with the ME games, so I have simply punted on taking the upgrade (which MS makes harder and harder to avoid).

I am wondering if anyone who has taken the plunge with Window 10, and owns the original games (I bought the first 2 on disk, which affects the DRM), whether the experience is any better now? I still need to find time to complete the 3rd game with all DLC installed, and may not have time for that before the free-upgrade Window (for Windows 10) expires.

[Editted to add a question mark to the title]

Comments

• sparkleavsparkleav Member Posts: 871
    I have the first ME on disk but not tried running it on Win 10 yet, I was considering it after finishing BG-SoD-BGII but that will take a while the way I play, Andromeda will probably be released by then :D
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    For reference, the most common complaints around launch time were that saved games did not work, and where they did work, it was not possible to import characters between the games - which is a serious problem when so much content depends on variables stored in the saved games.

My secondary concern is, naturally, whether the new Windows is compatible with the DRM used in these games. It is clear that EA have no interest in patching any of these games for Windows support, so any compatibility that is present now will have come entirely from MS ongoing efforts for OS compatibility, which have been significant in the past - see The Old New Thing blog for some tales of compatibility from the MS perspective ;)