Skip to content

Help needed to become a better SysAdmin (Win Server 2008 R2)

MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
Ok, I thought a lot about starting here (even if this is the Off-Topic area) a discussion about this topic, but I really don't know where to turn to find some decent information: Internet is pretty chaotic - and probably I'm not using the right keywords - also it looks like asking on tech forums the only answers people there are giving are really generic ones full of hidden "you're on your own", so I hope someone here can help me.

I worked for the past three years as Junior SysAdmin in a really good company, in which I learnt many things about my duties that helped me to professionally grow a lot.
Unfortunately (or maybe luckily) I started to apply on an already fully built infrastucture, so even if I am able to browse, modify and add/remove things server-side, to manage Active Directory (Users & Computers, mainly) and MMC, I know that I have lots of lacunae, lots of informations that I don't have.

I'm trying to expand my knowledge to be able at least to set up a little server on a virtual machine and to create a little network with the three PCs I have in my house, but internet is not so helpful when you're trying to start from the ground...

Why I'm asking this? Because an employment agency has contacted me for a SysAdmin job, and even my CV didn't mention that I have the knowledge that I'm asking here, the agent proposed me to a company which requires a SharePoint SysAdmin.
I worked on SharePoint and I know how to use it, how to create sites, how to add/remove users, how to give permission, etc. but I never installed or configured SP from scratch.

So I wonder if there is someone here able to explain me how to set up these things from zero, I have three PCs available, one of them will have a virtual machine installed with Windows Server 2008 R2 SP2 (this is an evaluation version, so no pirate version here), I have SharePoint (Foundation, so no pirated), I can access with admin privileges to my router.

Objectives:

1. to configure a server
  2. to create a working network between these PCs
  3. to create a domain, like, uhm Metal.local or such and having the machines joined and operational
  4. to have a platform running on the server, like SharePoint, and being able to see content in SP, client-side, but I believe I can do this point on my own

I'm completely aware that I'm asking a lot, but even a little help to start this thing could mean the difference between me being hired and me being discarded.
I love my job and I love learning new things everyday, but I'm having a hard time this moment, maybe because I have little time to learn, or simply because I don't know what to expect from that job interview, but of two things I'm sure:

1 - This job could be important for me and my future;
2 - the test I want to start is needed to dissipate any doubt about my ability to manage such a thing.

I don't need a complete excursus on this topic, just the very basis to be able to set up a little, tiny, working infrastucture.

If you've read until this point and you're able to help me then please, help me to understand and to expand my knowledge, I really don't know where to turn and I'm bashing my head so hard because of my frustration that it hurts...

Thanks in advance for everything you can do for me,

Metalloman

Comments

• mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    edited May 2016
    Hopefully it isn't too late to learn, but to configure Windows 2008 R2 as a domain controller you will need to do a few things first. Before that point though understanding some concepts are pretty necessary to being a sysadmin. If you know these things then please skip past them.

1. Basic Networking - Not to get too deep here, but understanding subnetting is pretty crucial to being a good sysadmin If you don't know networking, the Networking team will run all over you and make you troubleshoot servers to death only to have it be a problem in the switch or router. This is a decent guide to start. https://techopedia.com/6/28587/internet/8-steps-to-understanding-ip-subnetting. You don't have to be an expert, but if you don't know this topic at an intermediate level you will never go past a junior sysadmin.

For your purposes I would suggest using a simple scheme. This will have all machines on the same subnet, no routing involved.
    Domain Controller - 10.1.1.1 - 255.255.255.0 - These will need to be statically assigned, no DHCP.
    Sharepoint Server - 10.1.1.2 - 255.255.255.0 - These will need to be statically assigned, no DHCP.
    Client machine - 10.1.1.3 - 255.255.255.0 - Best to assign statically unless you know how to and want to set up a DHCP server.

2. Infrastructure Services - There are a number of back end services that a sysadmin needs to be aware of and utilize. This is a non-exhaustive list.
    DNS - Domain Name System, translates machine and website names to IP addresses. Typically all domain controllers are also DNS servers as AD depends on DNS. If you point clients to the AD/DNS server on their NIC properties then they should register their DNS records and be able to function normally in the domain.

DHCP - Dynamic Host Config Protocol, this allows clients to get on the network without you assigning manual IP's. Sometimes this is run on servers, sometimes the network team handles it on the routers or switches.

NTP - Network Time Protocol, often overlooked system, time drift between servers and clients will kill you. Windows domains will work correctly leaving all clients and servers on the default settings, except for the PDC, Primary Domain Controller. You must set it manually to use the NTP type in the registry.

PKI - Public Key Infrastructure, or certificates. Understanding how certs work in the hierarchy is becoming more and more important now. We use them to secure client connections to servers and to websites. Don't install a certificate server on a domain controller or a SharePoint server.

AD - You are already aware of Active Directory. It can tie a lot of these services together in the infrastructure using GPO, Group Policy Objects. Understanding the GPO hierarchy is very important for a sysadmin.

To start on the Windows 2008 server, do the install, set the admin password. Set up the network properties with the IP and subnet mask above, or this IP address scheme could also work if you prefer. Note that the subnet mask is different than above.

Domain Controller - 192.168.1.1 - 255.255.0.0 - These will need to be statically assigned, no DHCP.
    Sharepoint Server - 192.168.1.2 - 255.255.0.0 - These will need to be statically assigned, no DHCP.
    Client machine - 192.168.1.3 - 255.255.0.0

Open Server Manager, the button next to the Start Button. Let it complete the data collection, then choose Tools up top, then Add Roles. The first role to add is DNS. Just add it by itself, no other roles for now. Click through the prompts until it is finished.

This is the tricky bit. I don't know how your virtual machines are set up, sometimes the network is set to passthrough, sometimes you have to work "through" the host IP address. If you want DNS to work to resolve "external" names (like forums.beamdog.com) then you may need to add a DNS forwarder. You can do this by opening the DNS MMC under Administrative Tools, then right click on the server name on the top left and there is a forwarders tab. It might be your host machine IP or it might be your local router or maybe your ISP's DNS servers. You can usually forward to 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 which are Google's DNS servers.

If you don't want to resolve external DNS then ignore that.

Once DNS is installed and working, open your network card properties on the Windows 2008 server and change the IPv4 DNS server to point to itself.

Then go back to Server Manager and to Add Roles. This time choose Active Directory Domain Services. Let it run through the install and once it gets back to Server Manager, the flag in the upper right should be flashing.
    Click it to start the DCPromo process. It will ask a number of questions about how the domain is to be set up and organized. Once that it finished you will have a domain controller! Don't forget to keep your admin password it asked you to set during the process. There are two, one is for the domain admin account and the other is for the Disaster Recovery Mode so you can get into the server if Active Directory won't start up.

Next you will need to set up another server for SharePoint to be on. It can't go on a domain controller. Build the new server and set up it's IP address to be on the same subnet as the domain controller. Point to the domain controller IP for the server's DNS address. Open the system properties and join the new server to the domain using your domain admin credentials. Reboot and then you should be able to install SharePoint there. Make sure to get the latest cumulative update package for SharePoint, you only need to get the very latest as it includes all others to that point.

Also, with SharePoint it is very important to do things through the SharePoint interface (i.e. Central Admin, Product Configuration Wizard, SP Powershell prompt) whenever and wherever possible. There are a few cases where you need to go outside of SharePoint to do things in IIS, but mostly this is to be avoided.

Good Luck!
    Post edited by mf2112 on