Skip to content

Shadowdancers! Shadowdancers everywhere!

This thread has no real purpose/question that needs answering. I just wanted to say:
Thank you Beamdog. Thank you for porting this awesome kit from 3rd edition to BG2.
Everything about shadowdancer is great, from its very unique gameplay to its awesome duals, and it even has unique HLAs (which are good though not quite as powerful as their trap counterparts in my opinion).

I've made a playthrough with every possible duals as a shadowdancer and all of them are awesome:

Shadowdancer=>Mage: my first NWN2 build when I got the game was a sort of guerilla mage that would use Hide in Plain Sight and cripple its enemies. I really loved it, and being able to reproduce this was just awesome.

Shadowdancer=>Fighter: A fighter with a way to escape shitty situations and even more damage per round. What more could one want?

Shadowdancer=> Cleric: Kinda like Shadowdancer/Mage except the way you lead your "Guerilla" relies on heavy backstabs with huge STR etc... rather than spells. That, and the ridiculous Hide+Globe of blade strategy. My favourite of these duals, because there are so many ways to deal with your enemies.

Even pure shadowdancer is a pleasure to play, though it is a pity it is so lackluster compared to its "normal" thief counterparts, considering these are good with traps only lategame, and the HLAs a shadowdancer gets, while decent and well designed, are not quite as powerful. And pure normal thieves are already not that good at epic levels.

Anyway TY Beamdog, this kit brought a whole new life to my BG2 experience.

Comments

• MoonheartMoonheart Member Posts: 520
    edited May 2016
    I completly agree with you, the Shadowdancer is truly great.
    I'm completly having fun with my Shadowdancer + Neera duo playthrough, it's amazing to see the amount of mischieve they can do together (I hope I will be able to resume my playthrough with them... I have been too busy with the Children of Fire to continue to write this one recently)

"Shadowmages" are truly fun to play, even if the dual-classing mechanics if just a pain compared to NwN2 multiclassing.
    Honestly, I prefer to play a "pure" Shadowdancer, as the HLA are great:
    - Shadow Maze can completly turn most group fight in a joke as you can deal with the opponents one by one
    - Shadow Clone also allow a lot of abuse with scrolls

On a side note: I also love putting the Cloak of Whispers on the Shadowdancer just completly wreck any attempt of the foes to True Sight you
    And... I'm planning to show a very very dirty trick with the shadowdancer in my "Perfect Plan" playthrough when I'll resume it

• ameliabogginsameliaboggins Member Posts: 287
    any vids on youtube of folk playing one? Not a class I understand...
  • MoonheartMoonheart Member Posts: 520
    edited May 2016
    Shadowdancer is just a class that allow you to do things you can do with no other class, like hit and run, true scouting, chain backstabs, transformation of group battle into a series of 6vs1 battles, and so on...

It's a class that requiers patience, but give unique strategic options like no other class can. What you do with a shadowdancer, you will never do with another class

I've explained some mischieves you can do with a shadowdancer into this (unifinished) playthrough: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/50359/perfect-plans-and-wild-magic
    More will be coming when I'll have finished the Children of Fire one
    Post edited by Moonheart on