Skip to content

Unexpected turn of events - SPOILERS maybe

magisenseimagisensei Member Posts: 316
Hi fellow adventurers

In my latest run through BG2EE I finally got around to picking up Rassad as I wanted to continue the story that I had started in BG1EE with him and see how it evolved. During our brief adventures together a lot of unusual and rather unexpected things happen - one followed the story but was rather unexpected and the other was a semi-bug of sorts and was totally unexpected - and here I will tell both tales.

An Unexpected Ending: (NOTE: When this happened I replayed the same scene 3 times and got three different endings.)

1) Traveling with Rassad we finally infiltrated and completed the heretic temple trials and was prepared to confront the person Rassad came to find only to have the Dark Moon monks launch an assault on the heretic temple. After a brief discussion with Rassad we agreed to assist to aid his old Master and help the temple with this assault and then deal with everything else afterwards.

I pre-buffed for battle as I expected an army of Dark Moon cultist waiting for a huge melee of battle with the ending rather uncertain for this fledgling cult of heretic monks. The battle was as fierce as to be expected the Dark Moon monks were both gifted with magic and melee users and we had to contend also with monks that drank potions of invisibility and used poison. The battle proved bloody, a lot of the heretic monks fell to the Dark Moon monks and we held the center neither losing or gaining ground.

During our battle, the first oddity happened. A Harper by the name of Terminsel came and started to question Jaheria about her difficulties with the Harper organization that she had been having.

"Excuse me, can't you see we are in a battle for our very lives!" I screamed at him, but he paid me no attention and continued to distract Jaheria from battle. He neither helped nor really hindered us but he was a bit distracting to Jaheria, you'd think someone with the Harpers would lend us a hand but nope he just questioned Jaheria and left - surprisingly it went well for her and she got her Harper pin. It was great that Jaheria was able to return to the Harpers and the added bonus of no more assassins against her.

The battle progressed and we eventually got the upper hand in our battle but Rassad's prey had left before the battle and was no where to be found. Rassad got angry at this and wondered what to do after so long a journey and so much sacrificed. Speaking to him about choices and new roads and possibilities, Rassad saw and opportunity with the heretic temple - he would take it over and bring them to the light. This was an amazing and totally unexpected turn of events - Rassad would lead the heretic temple - wow - never saw this coming and he willingly rose to the challenge.

I knew I had lost him with his rise to the temple leadership position as all of his equipment and his own special gear was given to me before he left with the remaining monks. Hopefully one day we will meet again but in the mean time I wish him and his fledgling temple all the best.

Wow a totally unexpected turn of events.

2) Playing through this a second time -
with different dialogue choices after the battle. This time after the battle I picked different choices that were less harsh and surprisingly I did not get the chance to convince Rassad to take over the temple. Interestingly, the dialogue choices you make limits the possibilities of him taking over the temple and so he stayed with the party - as for the temple they I would imagine would continue as a new found cult.

3) Playing through it a third time to see the other dialogue choices something totally unexpected happen that I have never seen before.

The battle progressed relatively well but I am not sure what happened when Jaheria and my PC were knocked out of the fight - literally knocked out. We feel to the ground unconscious and wouldn't get up again until after the battle was over. But Terminel showed up again and with Jaheria unconscious no dialogue box appeared so he waited for the battle to end as well. As we got back up after the battle Terminel still had no dialogue box so I decided it was a perfect time for a little pick pocketing (Hexxat drank a potion and moved towards him and I hoped that the dialogue box would not kick in). Sadlly Hexxat failed to pick pocket him and he went red with anger - and I mean really angry - god like ANGER - he was amazingly and scarily angry so much so that in a blink of an eye (literally) - he cast time stop and some other greater spells and just like that my two mages were down; What was astonishing was that he went red - I never thought that would happen even if Hexxat had failed especially considering it was Eliminster and he should be above getting angry at such petty things
(plus I've tried pick pocketing before and failed and nothing happened)
- but back to the battle (if you want to call it that and what Eliminster did); and then for Hexxat he used a maze which kicked her out of the battle field for a moment leaving only my PC and Jaheria; he stunned my PC a dozen times (prismatic spell) and then he used imprison on Jaheria and she disappeared forever. I am not sure how long I stood stunned but it sure felt like a long time before regaining my senses. After regaining my movement I fled a bit to regroup and take the battle to him (although I knew it was hopeless - no mage, no druid and no cleric) - although I knew I should have just ran away from him but how many times do you get to battle Eliminster aka Terminsel! Hexxat made a return - good timing - and she tried to occupy him as I regrouped but it was a short battle - she tried but it was a foregone conclusion that would not end well for her. I buffed (drinking potion of speed, magic protection, mind protection, defense, strength and anything else that I had - as I had no mage, no druid and no cleric with me - just me a 11th level kensai) I pulled out my silver horn of vahalla and got a summon - which lasted less then a second - whatever Eliminster did he even stopped the gate from showing up - so sadly no summons for me. Then I grabbed my remaining potions of explosions (3 of them) and launched them at him with absolutely no affect - none what so ever - he took 3 of them and stood in an inferno of fire with no damage also my silence spell (from equipment) did absolutely nothing to him. With little hope, I charged in - take it to melee - maybe it would work - astonishingly I was able hit him for a few points of damage - I knew I couldn't take him by myself but I wanted to leave at least one good smack before falling to him and that is what I did - I got him twice for about 40+ damage before he did something to me - no idea what it was as is the only thing I saw was a blur of green light and then nothing - hopefully I would see my companions somewhere in the after life (minus Jaheria who is imprisoned somewhere and Hexxat who will return all on her own).

So here was my battle with Eliminster aka Teriminsel - it lasted as long as expected and my PC even got a hit in - which was nice, great, fabulous and totally unexpected to even do that - I knew with my PC would never be able to defeat him but this was a chance I never expected to get and as a rpg player it was a chance to see what would happen. Wow a battle - if you wanted to call it that - but interesting nevertheless - a semi-bug that happened but it was totally unexpected.

So has anyone else battled Terminsel aka Eliminster or have any really unexpected battles or outcomes of quests or situations that you never expected? Lets hear your tales of the unexpected and weird or those little semi-bugs that change a situation in a way that is totally unexpected.
Post edited by magisensei on

Comments

• UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Never figured that was Elminster, dur feeling stupid here.
    What an arsewipe he is, all that for a measly failed pickpocket attempt?

I once got attacked by a bounty hunter in Nashkel by the bridge where you meet Edwin.

Never happened before or since, reputation was 15ish, FF didn't react. Nothing out of the ordinary at all, just some random BH. It's kind of creepy after so many years and so many playthroughs.

I tells yer, it's ghosts in the machine.
  • magisenseimagisensei Member Posts: 316
    While I wouldn't call this an unexpected turn of events it was rather an amusing script - here we are about to take a ship to spellhold and Neera freaks out that we are going to invade an asylum. That has got to be one of the funniest reactions I've seen in BG2EE so far.

On another interesting note:

I have Mazzy and Hexxat in my party when we reached rep 19 (and I am in romance with Hexxat) - when we reached rep 19 - Hexxat left suddenly - and this has to be a bug - she returned just as suddenly by herself (I didn't even get the chance to move a single step between her leaving and returning) saying something about L and finishing his quests - but we already went through that very same scene when we completed her 2nd quest and returned the cloth.

I added Mazzy just to see the conflict between the two of them and to see how far it would go but with her leaving and returning and the 19 rep I think that the conflict is no longer happening.

Did you know Mind Flayers can eat the brain of a summon skeletal warrior - I didn't think skeletal warriors had brains that could be eaten - I was astonished when I sent my hasted skeletal warriors to fight the mind flayers only to have them be destroyed in a few seconds. Wow! I am going to need a new strategy to fight them now.