Skip to content

Ranger / Cleric and access to druid spells

Hi.
I made a ranger/Cleric dual class for my custom party. But I'm having second thoughts on whether I can justify playing that class.
Would the character still get full access to high level druid spells like iron skin?
I've read somewhere it's been "fixed". Others claim it's intentionally and not a bug. Yet others have totally different opinions.

I considered dumping the character and rolling a berserker/cleric instead as it seems more "legit"

Better make the right choice before playing 100 hours on something I'll regret.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Right now, the default state is for Ranger/Cleric combinations to only get those Druid spells they would have access to based on their actual Ranger level - that means they take a while to appear, and you will only get lvl 3 spells max (no Iron Skins).

HOWEVER you can reset to the old behavior (R/C gains access to all Druid spells alongside Cleric ones as Cleric levels progress, up to maximum) by changing a variable in your baldur.ini file.

The new one is probably more "legit" and the old one was considered a bug; but it's been popular with many people, so now you have the option to go back and still use it if you like.
    naggertJuliusBorisov
  • naggertnaggert Member Posts: 65
    Thank you!
    This is exactly how I wanted it.
    All i gotta do now, is figure out whether I roll beserker/cleric or stick to the ranger/cleric.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @naggert With the spells un-nerfed the R/C is ultimately more powerful.
    Yeah the insect spells / iron skin was actually what I was trying to avoid.
    I just couldn't justify playing with the unnerfed R/C. I felt like I was cheating :)

I ended up creating a beserker, then changing the stats, to match what I had before, and adding the missing EXP using shadowkeeper.
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    You know you could just NOT use those spells right?
    Tresset
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    Pteran wrote: »

w-o-w. eye opening.
    naggert
    edited March 2016
    bob_veng wrote: »

w-o-w. eye opening.

I know, that's some life altering information right there. People complain about the R/C getting Druid spells and say it's cheesy/broken. Just don't memorize the spells...or only memorize the spells they were supposed to get in the first place.

Sure, you've now got a slower leveling Fighter/Cleric, and you can't get as many proficiencies...but at least you're not "cheating" ;) I guess you've got the Racial Enemy perk going for you, but that's not huge.
    Post edited by Pteran on
  • dracostrikedracostrike Member Posts: 151
    Come on, hunting dragons with the racial bonus is fun ^^
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308

w-o-w. eye opening.

I know, that's some life altering information right there. People complain about the R/C getting Druid spells and say it's cheesy/broken. Just don't memorize the spells...or only memorize the spells they were supposed to get in the first place.

you sure told those people!
    in the future rpg developers should make their life much simpler and make a game where there are no classes but you start as an omni-class character, having all the abilities and spells availabe from the start and players can just not use the ones that they don't feel like using - reeaaaal roleplaying ! ! !
    naggert
    bob_veng

w-o-w. eye opening.

Sure, you've now got a slower leveling Fighter/Cleric, and you can't get as many proficiencies...but at least you're not "cheating" ;) I guess you've got the Racial Enemy perk going for you, but that's not huge.

Stay bitter guy.

I'm not bitter. The OP was concerned with the R/C getting higher level Druid spells. I merely pointed out that, even if he gets them (I'm not sure if he will, I've never played a R/C), he's not obligated to use them. Everyone raves about how overpowered those spells make the R/C anyway, so it seems to me like that's the big draw toward the class. If you choose not to use them, then what do you have? A slower leveling F/C with lower proficiencies, and the Racial Enemy bonus.

He should feel free to use whichever class combo he wants. If merely getting certain spells is enough to make him uncomfortable with a class, then don't play it. Go with the 2nd option. I personally would take the Berserker/Cleric anyway, because I have little interest in playing a Ranger (Druid spells or no).
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    A slower-levelling F/C with lower proficiencies, racial enemy bonuses, two free points in the best fighting style in the game, stealth, and access to lower-level druid spells (a consolation prize at best, I'll grant). I'm not saying that's a trade I'd made, but it's basically the trade between fighters and unkitted rangers regardless of multiclassing.
    Pteranbob_veng
    Jarrakul wrote: »
    A slower-levelling F/C with lower proficiencies, racial enemy bonuses, two free points in the best fighting style in the game, stealth, and access to lower-level druid spells (a consolation prize at best, I'll grant). I'm not saying that's a trade I'd made, but it's basically the trade between fighters and unkitted rangers regardless of multiclassing.

The only Ranger (besides Minsc) I ever play is an Archer, and even that is rare. Completley forgot they got free pips in Two Weapon Fighting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    @subtledoctor I wasn't trying to come across as bitter. If you're not taking advantage of the Druid spells as a R/C, what significant advantages does it have over a F/C? You created a nice list of roles, and a F/C can do most if not all of those.

1. Lots of HP - Check (Last I saw, Fighters and Rangers used the same hit dice)
    2. Tank well - Check (R/C takes it here, IF you're using the Druid spells)
    3. Scout well - Check (Sanctuary)
    4. Heal well - Check
    5. Spell bomb - Check
    6. Party buff - Check
    7. Crowd Control - Check (The R/C does get low level Druid spells to help, above what the F/C gets)
    8. DPS - Check
    9. Snipe - Check

The only areas I can see a R/C excelling in above what a F/C can do is potentially scouting (if you don't want to take up level 1 slots with Sanctuary), Tanking (if you use Ironskins, which the OP was opposed to), and CC (thanks to those level druid spells like Entangle and Insect Swarm, but the OP is opposed to the latter).

Both classes are powerhouses, I'm not trying to say otherwise. But if you're opposed to using the higher level Druid spells, like the OP is, then you're probably better off with a F/C. No, I haven't tried a R/C myself, but I've played enough F/C to not really have a need to. If it'll make you feel better though, my next BG playthrough will be a R/C. Those free Two Weapon Fighting pips do seem like a pretty sweet perk. The Racial Enemy bonus, while highly situational, is also nice.
    JuliusBorisovGozeta
    JuliusBorisov
  • Sids1188Sids1188 Member Posts: 165
    Also, if you dual class, they can backstab (as a stalker).
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    The thing is that a multi Ranger Cleric getting full access to druid spells is very strong, but a multi ranger cleric getting only level 1-3 spells is simply a fighter cleric, but less good.
    I'd like to add the F/C is awesomesauce. She's currently lvl 13/17 and has tons of spells as well as ***** in warhammers (Crom Fayer inc).
    IMHO ranger/cleric sounds like some sort of gardener or a nurse in a home for the elderly.
    Fighter/cleric on the other hand!!

Saying "if you don't wan't to use the high level druid spells, then just don't use them" is not something I can work well with.
    It's like, "hey! There's a free, ice cold cola on the table next to you. But ehm, you can't drink it because you're on a diet. But hey, your wife is not home. And also the cola is a naked, 20 year old, blonde with great curves, who won't tell if you let in to your urges...."

Having the spells and not using them would just feel wrong :)
    I'm really glad I took the F/C choice :)
  • James_MJames_M Member Posts: 140
    Instead of using Iron Skins try Righteous Magic - what a great offensive spell! Increases strength and all hits are at maximum damage!