Skip to content

Help with custom portraits

Hello. Today I have bought Siege of Dragonspear, and have updated BG:EE and BGII:EE to v2.2. The weir thing is, since then, when I try to create a character, the game doesn't recognize the custom portraits I have always being using. I have this problem both in BG:EE and BGII:EE. They are all BMP, 24-bit, 210x330. I never had this problem before. No matter how many custom portraits I put in the "portraits" folder, I cannot make it work.

Has anything changed with the v2.2 update? Am I doing anything wrong? I put them in "Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition (or Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition)/ portraits. And nothing.

Help, please. I am looking forward to start playing with my custom portraits, as I did before I updated to 2.2.

Comments

• EscarcheEscarche Member Posts: 61
    Did you name them correctly? You know, with a big L or S on the end?
  • BelgevalBelgeval Member Posts: 5
    Yes, I did. Still nothing. I have read something about putting them in the Override folder, but I don't know where it is.
  • LoveViconiaLoveViconia Member Posts: 196
    1024b
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Make sure all lowercase names & less than 8 character filnames
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    It should still work. You're not doing anything wrong... I doubt that's the problem, but maybe case-sensitivity is an issue; does the Portraits folder have a capital P?

As for the Override folder, if it's not there you can create it (same spot as Portraits, characters, save etc.) and try dumping a portrait or two in there and see if that works.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    You know custom portraits are added to the list of available portraits now?

Do you have any completely black portraits when you scroll through available portraits?

What version of Windows are you using?
    Thank you for your answers, but nothing seems to work. I have tried about everyting, from writing "Portraits" with capital P, to creating an override folder and putting my portraits there, and still nothing. The name of the files are "XxxxxxxL". I tried with and without capital, with and without the final L... Also, it should be noted that this portraits were working fine prior to 2.2 and installing Siege of Dragonspear. I have them as large portraits for the old Icewind Dale II, which uses the same portrait format (24-bit bmp, 210x330px) and they work.

I have googled the issue and it seems I am not the only one who is having it, but I have not been able to find the solution. I just don't know what to do... Uninstall-reinstall, maybe? :s
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Try creating a new portrait and see what happens.
    Wooooow, Fardragon, you were RIGHT! The only thing I didn't try was browsing the regular portraits! When I clicked "Custom", I was getting the instructions to use custom portraits all the time, but they didn't say that the custom portraits appear among the regular ones. Thank you very much! Problem solved :p .
  • beobeo Member Posts: 143
    edited June 2016
    I have the same problem. No matter what I do it still says 0 custom portraits. Version 2.3.67.2
  • LoveViconiaLoveViconia Member Posts: 196
    beo said:

I have the same problem. No matter what I do it still says 0 custom portraits. Version 2.3.67.2

Often you have to reload the game more than once. But first make sure everything is perfectly following the guideline when creating them. Or attach it here.