Skip to content

please help me understand how BGEE, SOD, and modding interact

Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
edited June 2016 in BG:EE Mods
Hello

I finally bought SOD. I am trying to grasp how BGEE, SOD, and modding interact.

Am I correct in assuming the following?

1) Any mod installed on BGEE will need to be reinstalled on SOD
2) If I want to play SOD I must perforce play it through the SOD launcher, not the BGEE one, but if I want to play BGEE I may as well play it through the SOD launcher.
3) From hereon, all mods ought to be installed on SOD, regardless of whether I want to play BGEE or SOD.

4) I'll try to install the BG Quest Pack, the Tweaks pack, Rogue Rebalancing, BG1 Unfinished Business, S.C.Stratagems (with Subtledoctor's fix). Are there any other vital mods for SOD specifically?

Thank you in advance.
brunardo

Comments

• Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    Viewers, viewers everywhere, not any drop a hint. Well, nevermind then. I played around with it and so far it seems to work.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    mf2112
  • InKalInKal Member Posts: 196

Hello

I finally bought SOD. I am trying to grasp how BGEE, SOD, and modding interact.

Am I correct in assuming the following?

1) Any mod installed on BGEE will need to be reinstalled on SOD
    2) If I want to play SOD I must perforce play it through the SOD launcher, not the BGEE one, but if I want to play BGEE I may as well play it through the SOD launcher.
    3) From hereon, all mods ought to be installed on SOD, regardless of whether I want to play BGEE or SOD.

4) I'll try to install the BG Quest Pack, the Tweaks pack, Rogue Rebalancing, BG1 Unfinished Business, S.C.Stratagems (with Subtledoctor's fix). Are there any other vital mods for SOD specifically?

Thank you in advance.

I can only speak about steam version.

You have two options. BGEE v1.3 or BGEE v2.2 beta. If you want SoD you must have v2.2. Most mods are already compatible with 1.3 and at least partially if not fully compatible with 2.2 (but for 2.2 steam you MUST install "mod-merge"!).
    Well, you must buy SoD (doh) if you want it, but you may have BGEE 2.2 without SoD (NOT RECOMMENDED!). 2.2 patch is only worth something (not much) because of SoD (btw. SoD is actually quite decent expansion minus swj bullshit), I wouldn't recommend downloading this patch alone - if you don't want to play SoD, stick with BGEE 1.3 in my opinion. There is also a third option "no betas" which I dont know what means and what your game will be. Currently I have BGEE 2.2 with SoD for 90 potatoes and BG2EE 1.3 with Improved Anvil 6.2 for free.

1. Yes, SoD will break your mods (any patch for any game will do)
    2. eeeh.... dude......
    3. Yes. More precisely "on BGEE 2.2".
    4. nah. IMO there is no vital mods for SoD at all. You should play it vanilla first.

ps. I can understand my own english.
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    InKal said:

4. nah. IMO there is no vital mods for SoD at all. You should play it vanilla first.

Pecca's brilliant widescreen mod is pretty vital for me now, I can't play BG2 until he finishes SoD and then reworks his mod for BG2.
    Mr2150
  • Mr2150Mr2150 Member Posts: 1,170
    I agree @mf2112 ... UI mods are not changing the way the game fundamentally works, but enhancing how you play the game. In that sense, they aren't quite the same as standard mods.
    mf2112
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    edited June 2016
    Thank you all for your replies. I'll have a look at the widescreen mod.
    @subtledoctor, I disagree with your characterization. Having played around with the various mods and installation directories on my own, I find that my carefully posed questions could indeed be answered either yes or no. I might as well not have bothered to ask if replies come with a side of grief.
    psycros
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Mr2150