Skip to content

Mage dualed to Fighter?

So, yeah. Is that even possible? Is that worth the effort? Has anyone tried that? People usually go other way around, but I'm interested in learning some defensive spells of first 5 or 6 levels, then switching to good old violence.
And I know that there is a blade, which is basically magical fighter, but I don't want it for few reasons - I don't want to be a bard, I want higher HP rolls, I want HLAs of a fighter, and I also dislike the hooded model.
What would be the best level to dual? I'd love to get protection against magical weapons, but calculating Xp needed for that makes me want to gouge my eyes out.
Share your wisdom and guide me, mighty forumites.

Comments

• ArgasArgas Member Posts: 174
    I think its because of the weapon proficiencies. When you get your mage levels back you should loose all profiency points with fighter and when the other way around you will keep mage profiency points as long as the warrior also have them.
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    Thanks for response, @Argas. Well, I'm not too bothered by proficiencies, you can get more than enough of them anyway. I'm rather concerened about utility of having warrior with no armour but ability to cast some low-level spells.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • magisenseimagisensei Member Posts: 316
    edited June 2016
    Sure it is although not what most players would do as a mage gets more powerful the higher they get.

I played once a mage level 2 dualed to a cleric. Why dual at such a low level - mostly for role-playing purpose; a decidedly weird PC who could use mage scrolls/wands but had a calling and so joined a temple and gave up his arcane magic for divine power. But on occasions would dabble with a few scrolls.

Are you planning to play the entire series?

Minimum needed to cast level 6 protection from magical weapon:

To be able to cast Protection from magical weapons a level 6 spell - you have to be minimum level 12 - which is sometime in chapter 2 in BG2. You of course will need to be a level 13 fighter before reactivating your mage abilities (1,250,000 xp) - so I imagine you will be able to reactivate probably in chapter 4.

While pfmw is a rather useful spell it does have a horribly short duration period (4 rounds only) - stone skin, with mirror image, blur (optional) and improved invisibility (optional) will provide more than enough protection against any weapons much better than 4 rounds.

Having the ability to cast spell immunity (5th level) is more useful than protection from magical weapons if that is going to be your only level 6 spell.

As a fighter with some mage skills - attack is your best defense - so throw on some protections spell (stone skin, mirror image and haste) and go swing that sword.

If you are concerned about armor - 1st level spell armor, later you get spirit armor or you can buy a shield amulet or robe of archmagi to fix AC.

• MMMMKMMMMK Member Posts: 30
    I think the real reason to dual from mage to fighter is just to get access to wands, scrolls, a familiar and mage only items- not the spells you'd be able to cast. I'd probably dual over as soon as possible and play as a fighter with the ability to power himself up with scrolls and nuke stuff with wands. Just think of yourself as a fighter-sage (makes sense with Candlekeep, really) rather than a fighter-mage, grand master in staff and wield the various amazing quarterstaffs in the game (mostly in bg2) and you're all good. In Bg1 access to wands is more than enough reason to do a level 2 dual, imo.
  • ThorgaazThorgaaz Member Posts: 46
    I agree with the previous posters. Why using an armorspell if you can wear fullplate? If you dont even go for haste or highlevelspells (6+) Dualing at lvl2 should be the best.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251

The BG2 TweakPack introduces the option of allowing Wild Mages to dual-class. This offers +1 spell, no opposition school, while also allowing a role-playing reason why the character dual-classed: he found that, try as he might, he could not channel magic through himself without disastrous results, and for the sake of public and personal safety he became a fighter instead with a few tricks (wands) up his sleeve.

I love this idea so much I've already stolen it! Many thanks :smiley:
  • DevardKrownDevardKrown Member Posts: 421
    Mage2/Fighter is totally worth. while Berserker rage is nice the ability to churn out Fireballs / Frost rays or paralyze enemy's is better. not to mention scrolls and mage only items, yes all of that is limited use but you can run through the game solo and not use all wands/scrolls up unless you fireball every kobold you meet.

and from a pure fighter point of view you only lose some hp , who are reduced by familiar , in later games they even give more more than those fighter levels would have. and the 18XX strength , who is gone with the 19 book.

its also great from a role play perspective..you been schooled as a mage for years just to be thrown into a mean harsh world where people line up to kill you for reasons unknown and your only companion is Imoen , more a child than anything at this point, a shifty halfling a crazy mage , a stammering half-elf and a nagging one.... i too would buy me a bloody sword and not count on a Sleep spell...hell even my Familiar would yell at me buying a Weapon while throwing roasted Apples at me.