Skip to content

Dual-classing (the other kind)

There's tons of good advice about dual-classing on this forum. However, most of it is in reference to a mid-level dual 'n grind where your second class has to go through 7, 9, or 13 levels before unlocking your fist class and emerging as uber-man.
I'd like to get some opinions on the one 'n done dual-class combos where your first class gets unlocked before you even get to Nashkel or the mines. I recently started a dual hammer wielding berserk->cleric and the melee synergy is just awesome. Some kits that get extra perks at level three would also be a good choice but you'd probably be in chapter three before the first class was unlocked.
I know that this kind of dual-classing doesn't create the uber-man PC but I absolutely HATE grinding through 7+ levels just to be able to use my first class again.

I'm looking for other class/kit combos that work well when dualing at 2nd or 3rd level.

Comments

• mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    edited June 2016
    I sometimes like to get to level 3 mage, then dual to fighter or cleric. Lots of useful scrolls and wands, and having the quick invisibility or mirror image can be a lifesaver. Plus Evermemory. :) I don't feel too gimped on hit points then, and it is a lot easier to survive as a 1st level fighter or cleric wearing armor since you can't use spells anyways until you get to 4th level.
  • iNtuiNtu Member Posts: 37
    edited June 2016
    Berserker 3>C is the way to go in BG1+expansions ONLY.

If you want to get as much as possible from your char in BG1, while also not caring about profit maximization of the build that would shine in SoA/ToB, or not even planning on playing it that far, then you've made a right choice.

Or...
    You may simply be the person who prefers to eat a cherry on a cake first =), others save the best for last.

Otherwise B9/13->Cleric is much better.

Basically, if you intend to play BG, SoD, SoA,ToB with this character, then B3 is not practical. You will enjoy his awesomeness in the first game and after, you will just have a cleric, who can't really implement his fighter skills in a satisfactory manner :)

The beauty of B9/B13->Cleric is in HP+APR+Thac0+Grand mastery+max dual+max S&S+all cleric spells and HLA's+Rage (plus some extra 'dump' proficiencies). Then just simply using Righteous magic, Rage, and you're pretty awesome.

The enjoyment this brings is just too good to pass. I mean, it's logical that a Berserker/Cleric would prefer to dual wield :) leaving S&S style for some tough situations that could require it.

The solution to this lays in our psychological processes :) you can always play B3>C throughout BG1 and then remake the character in SoA, pretending it's the same one, but making it B9/13>C. (if you play SoD, then you can dual at 9 to save some time in SoA, but 13 is probably the best choice)

This is probably the most rational approach if you can contain your feelings, since eating a cherry first or last doesn't really matter, we still eat the cake and the cherry eventually.

As for tomes, yeah, whatever.

Oh, as for class/kit combos that work well when dualing at 2nd or 3rd level, I kinda like Priest of Talos 3->Fighter =) , my kind of BG 'Paladin' approach.
  • alceryesalceryes Member Posts: 380
    edited June 2016
    Good info mf2122 and iNtu.
    @iNtu
    Couldn't a zerk 2->cleric have grand mastery in at least 1 weapon (war hammer) at cleric 12?

Start as zerk with profs of 2x war hammer and 2x two weapon
    Dual at zerk 2 to cleric and pick up flail and sling profs.
    Survive till cleric 3, get your zerk class back, switch back to using war hammer.
    Get mastery in war hammer at cleric 4.
    At 8 and 12 you could then get high and grand mastery respectively (although I would probably put another pip into two weapon first).

As you know, early cleric levels fly by so it's VERY easy to get to Cleric 4 after a little walk on the zerk side. At zerk 2->cleric 4 this character is a gibs chunking beast. Even if I did go through the whole BG2 saga he would still benefit from the grand mastery of one weapon, the utility of being able to use flails/morning stars (which you could also put some more pips into at higher levels) and slings, the extra hit points, and the once/day rage.
    I'm really just comparing him to a single class cleric, not a uber-min/max-man. As I said, I can't stand mid-level dualing. It's just not my cup of tea.
  • iNtuiNtu Member Posts: 37
    Yes, sure you can do it this way too=)
  • DevardKrownDevardKrown Member Posts: 421
    there are a lot of great low level Dual classes.

Mage2/Fighter , Just your Basic Fighter able to squirt out a Fireball/paralyze wand charge. throw a scroll nobody needed and wear the one or other good mage only item. even the hit to HP is gone in later games. then the Familiar stacks up from 6 to 12 to 24 Bonus HP. and you can identify 2 items a day.

Same for Mage2/Thief.

and for Mage2/Cleric but he could even make use for the robe of Vecna trading some AC for faster spells.

Fighter3/Thief the full power of a Thief with grand mastery whats not to like on some extra THAC0 and a APR. (crazy thing , you can main hand a returning magic throwing dagger of BG2 for 2d4 dmg and 2 base APR in melee and use Kudane/belm in offhand for a extra APR with grand mastery you hit then 5 natural APR as thief...)

another goodie is the Fighter3/Mage able to grand master a ranged weapon and have 1* Quarterstaff and 2** Two-hand-fighting at lvl 12 ! (i highly prefer the +4firetooth crossbow+staff of magi combo since you can get both ultra fast and they represent your end gear for the rest of BG2+tob) because who wants to toss away spells at some low level trash enemy. or widdle them down with abysmal mage THAC0/weapon choice.

also great the Fighter3/Druid , sure a Fighter7or 9 druid would have a half more APR and some life. but druids already run the cleric THAC0 table who is the second best in Baldurs Gate.

last but not Least the Fighter3/Cleric , trading possible puny daily spells for Two-Weapon-fighting and Grand Mastery. #worth

or as Spin-off the Ranger3/Cleric a weaker version of the Fighter3/Cleric trading grand master for free two-weapon-fighting ** but if you fancy the Ranger Stronghold or Lore its an Option.

• BelfaldurnikBelfaldurnik Member Posts: 212
    Dual-classing at levels 3 to 5 does the job just fine, and sometimes even level 3 is too late. Such as if your berserker 3 > cleric is the only priest in your party.