Skip to content

Stuck at Chapter 5 ...

First, my system:
BG:EE (Gog)
DSotSC
The Vault V5
(I have a few other mods, but these are the ones that affect game play)

I had gone through Iron Throne building, including nasty battle at the end.
I then went back to the Flaming Fist HQ... first of all, I believe that in the past there was a unique encounter with Scar, but this time he was simply not there. I went up to talk to Duke Eltan; he told me to head to Candlekeep, and gave me the book to get in, but that was all; he didn't teleport me anywhere. I then had an encounter outside, with someone who wanted to buy the book from me, I declined, they attacked and died... but... I don't have the book any more.

ITM, my game still shows me as being in Chapter 5; shouldn't I have transitioned to Chapter 6 on the interaction with Duke Eltan??

One thing that *maybe* goofed things up, is when I went to Friendly Arms Inn after Cloakwood; Jet'laya wanted to join us and start her DSotSC quests, but I didn't want to give up any of my party at that point, so I declined; she insulted me and left, and I can't find her any more. I haven't been able to find any of the other DSotSC entry points either. Is this possibly what broke the main-quest progression?

Comments

• ArgasArgas Member Posts: 174
    Chapter 6 begins in front of candlekeep so you should have been teleported after speaking with scar then a cutscene and the duke. You sure you went to the flaming fist HQ to the bottom SW corner..
    Also scar will leave and you need to follow him outside.
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    if you somehow avoid scar at the bridge, it breaks the main plot progress. he won't appear anywhere until the first talk at the bridge
  • GorlashGorlash Member Posts: 7
    heh... I found this discussion from 2010, which I *also* participated in!! It involved several issues related to The Vault mod, including this one:

http://www.shsforums.net/topic/39044-vault-v7-released/page-5
    Okay, nothing in that message thread helped.

Basically, my installation is apparently broken.
    After clearing out out Iron Throne HQ, I returned to Flaming Fist HQ (yes, in SW sector of BG). Scar nowhere to be seen, I went upstairs and talked to Duke Eltan; he gave me the book to get into Candlekeep, then teleported me out, and I had the encounter with the fellow who steals the book.

But now, I can't get anything else to happen... Scar isn't present either at bridge or at FFHQ, Duke Eltan is not longer in his office in FFHQ, I can't get any next step to trigger for "Return to Nashkel", which I think is what I need to be pursuing now...

I wonder if I broke "Return to Nashkel", by pursuing other quests after the first ambush??
    I don't know if it will help you but I got stuck at some sewers..i had to go back to this sewer and take it from there again. Sorry but I don't remember the details.
    Okay, the upshot of all this is, this issue is caused by The Vault mod... I'm using V5 (very old), because I can't find any later version that works without BGT, and BGT is not released (and probably won't be) for BG:EE.

Anyway, The Vault mod hijacks the "take the book to Candlekeep" thread, adding a sequence of other encounters where the book is stolen, and player has to chase it down... that sequence apparently breaks down sometimes, and it broke down in my case; I got to Nashkel Carnival, and never found the person who was supposed to trigger the next step in the sequence.

So, for now, I just used a cheat to force Chapter 6, CLUA'd the required book into my inventory, and that allowed me to proceed with the game.

Unless someone *does* come up with a working version of The Vault mod, I'll have to just skip that in the future. Not the end of the world!!