Skip to content

Creating (part of) a party and NPC interactions

I'm about to do another run with a goodie-two-shoes party. I need a good-aligned arcane spellcaster who doesn't suck so I'd like to create my own sorcerer or mage to complement my party (CHARNAME is going to be a Paladin kit).

If I create my party, will I still get normal NPC interactions, romances, etc? And if so the protagonist (CHARNAME) would be the first character in the party lineup, right?
Ravenslight

Comments

• PaulGreystokePaulGreystoke Member Posts: 63
    Yes, you will get the normal NPC interactions & romances out of the other 4 slots of the party. Creating a 2nd character just means that you have one party slot less of NPC banters, etc. as the 2nd PC character has not interactions at all.
    KalesraJuliusBorisov
  • BelfaldurnikBelfaldurnik Member Posts: 212
    The self-created companions sometimes say something, too, depending on their race or class or the current location. So don't be surprised about the occasional single-sentence comment from such a companion. No banter with NPCs, however.
    KalesraJuliusBorisov
  • magisenseimagisensei Member Posts: 316
    What.... no powerful npc mages that you need to make your own .... have your tried Neera - she's great except for the odd surge, awesomely powerful; Jan if you don't mind an illusionist is a good mage and Nalia works as well matching Imoen's stat as a mage although not much of a thief. And if you don't like those 3 then Aerie by herself is powerful enough to do anything and everything - just give her a potion of genius once in a while to help with spell slots.
    Kalesra
  • KalesraKalesra Member Posts: 234
    Thanks guys.

And @magisensei, it's true that there are plenty of mages. For RP reasons though, neither the unstable (half) elven lady nor the sketchy turnip vendor are a great fit for my party of righteous butt-kickers for goodness. I guess I could bring Aerie but Cleric will be covered by Anomen and I'd prefer a pure arcane caster instead. I haven't taken a sorcerer through BG2 in ages so that's what I'm leaning towards.

And I just find Nalia totally boring and annoying (says the person who's bringing Anomen, I know, but I have a soft spot for him). Aerie kind of gets on my nerves too for that matter.

Not sure yet what I'm going to do for a thief in the first part of the game though. I might end up making one myself too then swapping them for Immy later on.
    lol true for all the good mages... although why Neera is hung up over the half thing is a mystery...

Who are you planning to romance then? Jaheria is true neutral although she comes across as good and she is a Harper so she is a goody two shoes or Rassad who fits better in your group as a lawful good NPC although his actions are questionable at the moment.

Hopefully not an Anomen romance! ;)
    edited June 2016

Hopefully not an Anomen romance! ;)

*Looks at the floor sheepishly*

Yeah, Anomen. Playing a female CHARNAME.

I tried all of the other romances. Rasaad may have been spoiled for me by romancing him in SoD.

I feel like him just kind of peacing out at the end of that for his revenge crap was seriously uncool. Then he pops up in Trademeet like "um, who are you?" I can't see someone who deeply cherishes loyalty and commitment letting that fly, then running around on the wrong side of law and order with him only to have to deal with his whingeing moody BS in return. I'm not lawful stupid but if you can't put your vows and your comrades in arms before your need for vengeance, I can't count on you. Not as a partner and not to stare down the legions of evil unflinchingly at all costs. Anomen may throw the occasional hissy fit early in the romance but I find him more loyal and steadfast and I'm willing to blame a lot of the bad behaviour on his monumentally s****** childhood. In fact, he's faced with some of the same kinds of choices as Rasaad and if you follow a certain path he deals with it in a lawful good manner and musters a level of restraint that Rasaad cannot. Plus his ties to the Order fit with a pally CHARNAME.

The other two romance possibilities for female protagonists clearly don't work for a good party but even if they did, I wasn't a huge fan. They didn't seem that substantial and they weren't voiced enough for my taste.
    mf2112RavenslightJuliusBorisov
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    Anomen's not that bad. Actually if you have Jan in the party their banters are pretty funny as Jan takes "Ano" down a peg or two.
    RavenslightKalesraJuliusBorisov
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    No need to look at the floor woman, stand up proud! :wink:

But seriously, Your not the only one who likes Anomen’s story. I agree with you, once committed to a woman, he would be very steadfast and loyal.
    KalesraJuliusBorisovmf2112
    No ...no... bring Dorn instead and have some wild and alignment inappropriate romance with a bad boy. o:)
    RavenslightKalesra
    Yeah, and that voice of his… (fans self) Unfortunately, when he asks you to crash a party with him, he is not kidding…

A girl has to wonder, if a man gets so uptight at weddings, maybe he has latent commitment issues.
    Kalesra
    mf2112 said:

Anomen's not that bad. Actually if you have Jan in the party their banters are pretty funny as Jan takes "Ano" down a peg or two.

Haha, yes, I love those banters. Those two were in my very first BG2 party and some of their interactions had me rolling. :smiley: Granted, I was a kid and pretty easily amused, but it still makes me chuckle. ;)
    Ravenslightmf2112

No need to look at the floor woman, stand up proud! :wink:

But seriously, Your not the only one who likes Anomen’s story. I agree with you, once committed to a woman, he would be very steadfast and loyal.

I can totally see the issues some people have with him, especially because he was the only romance option for female CHARNAMEs for so long, but I always liked him.

And can you imagine how he'd be at...uh.... chivalrous...stuff with a Ring of Human Influence and DUHM? :blush::open_mouth:

Not sure what Helm would think of him using his divine power to get his groove on though. ;)
    Ravenslight

No ...no... bring Dorn instead and have some wild and alignment inappropriate romance with a bad boy. o:)

Or even better...I wonder if I could convince CN Anomen to go for a ménage a trois? :open_mouth:
    Ravenslight
    ROFL! I’m afraid that Dorn would end up missing some parts. Anomen always struck me as the jealous type. Meanwhile, Dorn would be up for it, relaxed, and not expecting the blow.
    Kalesra
    *ahem*. I need to go take a cold shower before I start writing sordid fanfic. :joy::tongue:
    Ravenslight